What’s your past history with diets? Have they worked?

Options
When I was about 13, I started working out and was able to lose about 50 lbs in one summer.

I soon realized that it wasn’t going to stay long because I was over working my body and hardly eating.

I was taking in about 1200 calories and working out four hours a day, two in the morning and two at night. And I thought I was doing a great job, but as soon as school picked up and I didn’t have the time I had before, I gained my weight and then some.

Replies

• Sakora487
    Sakora487 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was only recently diagnosed with PCOS however I've suspected its been around for a while. I'm 30, 5'5" about 205 lbs with about 30lbs to lose, ideally I'd like to go for 60 and be back to a former weight.

In Janurary 2013 I was about 200lbs, through diet and exercise by May of 2013 I was able to lose close to 40lbs, my body thankfully seemed to adapt well.

Come 2015 I got married and stopped BCP. I was starting to gain some back. But 2016 to 2017 I gained it all back and then some. My doctor didn't seem concerned, I explained to him a few times I'm irregular and he kept saying that's because I was on BCP. Finally fed up I changed doctors, my husband and I would love to have a child. And I wanted answers as to why I was irregular, gained all this weight (I was still eating relatively healthy, and being moderately active) Finally my new doctor agreed that it was unusual. So he sent me for an Ultrasound in the end of October. I had a follow up in the middle of November to which the doctor explained my results; PCOS.

So now I'm on a journey of trying to eat low carbs, no sugars and losing what is now stubborn weight. (It didn't seem so stubborn when I was on my BCP!) And hoping that my Husband and I will still be able conceive!
  • marenlayne
    marenlayne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 35 yrs old, 5'7". I got diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago, around the time I was getting married. I was an extremely skinny child and teenager, but a late bloomer. I put on weight in college - mostly around my middle section.

We tried to get pregnant for a few years without success. Frustrated, I began to research PCOS because my doctor provided me with little info. Then read about Australian, Jenny Brand Miller, and the Low GI diet, understanding more about my hormone imbalance and how to get blood sugar under control to help with fat loss. Soon after Iadapted my new diet paired with exercise, I got pregnant and delivered a healthy baby girl.

After that pregnancy, my husband and I did the Paleo diet. I also walked a LOT during that time. I lost all the baby weight plus 10 more lbs and was at my lowest weight since college.

Fast forward 6 yrs, I now have 3 children, my youngest turned 1 year old last November and I haven't lost the baby weight. I have about 25-30 lbs to lose, mostly in my belly. I've had some success doing intermittent fasting but it is slow going. I've tried The Fast Metabolism Diet, doing Paleo again and Low GI along with light exercise but I can't seem to lose the weight.

I found a website/blog with some encouraging information on it. The woman who authors the blog has been successful with PCOs weight loss by increasing muscle by doing weight training and special diet. So, I'm going to give it a try. She also recommends taking the supplement, DIM, which supports healthy estrogen levels. Let me know if you want more info.