How do you log this?

Options
PitBullMom_Liz
PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
How do you log your lifting into MFP? Under cardio they have "weight lifting" but it doesn't specify heavy or light weights.

Replies

• kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't log my lifting under cardio. It's my understanding (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) that there's no real way to determine how many calories you burn while lifting. I eat a few hundred calories more on the days that I lift. (usually a protein shake)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I don't log my lifting under cardio. It's my understanding (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) that there's no real way to determine how many calories you burn while lifting. I eat a few hundred calories more on the days that I lift. (usually a protein shake)

That's right. I confess I do not fully understand the energy expenditure aspect of strength training and HIIT (both intermittent, anaerobic activities), but one thing they have in common is that they seem to exert effects way past the actual duration of the exercise. So even if you use less energy while lifting for an hour than you would running for an hour, the energy requirements after seem to be more intense for lifting.

Long story short, I don't log my lifting calories, either, and I do not even vary my intake that much from day to day. I have decided that in the end, it's the weekly average that matters, not the day-to-day stuff. Though I do keep a close eye on my macros.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I log mine under weight lifting in the cardio section and just put a 1 in the calories burned box. I like to track my workouts, and this way MFP doesn't give me the extra calories to eat.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    I was just trying to figure it out so I knew about how many more calories I should consume. I guess if I'm hungry, I'll eat more. :-)
  • bumblebums
    Options
    I was just trying to figure it out so I knew about how many more calories I should consume. I guess if I'm hungry, I'll eat more. :-)

It's a tough question. The simple truth is that you can make lifting gains as a novice lifter even on a deficit. They would not be as impressive as the gains of someone eating at maintenance, which in turn would be less impressive than the gains of someone who eats at a surplus. If you want to be as strong as possible, eat more. If you want to hold on to your LBM as you are losing fat, eat at whatever level you are eating now. At least for a while. If you start feeling tired and cranky, eat more. If you modify your intake in small increments (say, increase your daily intake by 100 cal for a week or two, reassess), you will eventually figure out what the optimal levels are for you. But your intake is a moving target, and identifying it is a matter of trial and error, not whatever online calculators give you.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    Thanks, Bumble. That's helpful.

I haven't been tracking food on here recently but I'm going to start trying again. I'm not religious about weighing and measuring, so there's a lot of eyeballing and guesttimating, but close is sufficient for me as I know I'm at a deficit.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Bumble. That's helpful.

I haven't been tracking food on here recently but I'm going to start trying again. I'm not religious about weighing and measuring, so there's a lot of eyeballing and guesttimating, but close is sufficient for me as I know I'm at a deficit.

Same.

I don't eat exercise calories back, but have set my intake to a small number below TDEE. I create my own exercises.and assign them a value of 1 calorie. Much simpler that way. I know what my TDEE is, and as low as I'm coming in below it, I'm good to go because I know fat is going to disappear eventually. I'm not in a crunch to lose X pounds in Z weeks or month, so ... whatever.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options

It's a tough question. The simple truth is that you can make lifting gains as a novice lifter even on a deficit. They would not be as impressive as the gains of someone eating at maintenance, which in turn would be less impressive than the gains of someone who eats at a surplus. If you want to be as strong as possible, eat more. If you want to hold on to your LBM as you are losing fat, eat at whatever level you are eating now. At least for a while. If you start feeling tired and cranky, eat more. If you modify your intake in small increments (say, increase your daily intake by 100 cal for a week or two, reassess), you will eventually figure out what the optimal levels are for you. But your intake is a moving target, and identifying it is a matter of trial and error, not whatever online calculators give you.

QFT!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

That's right. I confess I do not fully understand the energy expenditure aspect of strength training and HIIT (both intermittent, anaerobic activities), but one thing they have in common is that they seem to exert effects way past the actual duration of the exercise. So even if you use less energy while lifting for an hour than you would running for an hour, the energy requirements after seem to be more intense for lifting.

Long story short, I don't log my lifting calories, either, and I do not even vary my intake that much from day to day. I have decided that in the end, it's the weekly average that matters, not the day-to-day stuff. Though I do keep a close eye on my macros.

I don't log lifting as a calorie burn either. For calories I eat, I use my TDEE at the activity level of "works out 3-5 times/hours* a week" and count my weight lifting as "3 times/hours" then I log cardio calorie burns as "burns 1 calorie" . If I actually get more than2 hours (per my activity level limit) I will log cardio burns as calorie deficit activities.

**** I can't remember if the activity level uses "hours a week" or "times a week"
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I created it under my exercises and add it under cardio. I have no idea of how many calories it burns so I also put 1. I'm not really concerned with the amount so much, as long as I know I'm working out. Eat when your hungry and just make smart food choices:)
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I just bumped up my caloric intake a little bit (still significantly less than my TDEE) and I'll play it by ear after that.
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    Can I ask my own question?

The bold part - I started SL ~ three weeks ago and the last week I have had a really hard time sleeping well. My goal is to lose weight and I've got MFP set to TDEE-20% and I DO log strength training and try to eat those calories back (which puts me closer to TDEE-10%). Should I eat more? And if so, what if I'm not hungry? I lifted yesterday and didnt even meet my TDEE-20% cause I just didnt feel hungry.

Thanks.
  • bumblebums
    Options

The bold part - I started SL ~ three weeks ago and the last week I have had a really hard time sleeping well. My goal is to lose weight and I've got MFP set to TDEE-20% and I DO log strength training and try to eat those calories back (which puts me closer to TDEE-10%). Should I eat more? And if so, what if I'm not hungry? I lifted yesterday and didnt even meet my TDEE-20% cause I just didnt feel hungry.

Thanks.

Well, you've seen my diary and know how much I eat... Let me just say that I've steadily increased my intake from about 1800 when I was still losing fat to my current 2400 kcal/day, and I have not gained a pound. Your metabolism is a moving target, like I said. Sometimes, when you give your body more energy, your body actually figures out a way to burn more energy. This is especially true with lifting--a lot happens between the lifts, so do not think of it as just fueling that hour you spend at the gym.
  • tatasmagik
    Options

Thanks.

Well, you've seen my diary and know how much I eat... Let me just say that I've steadily increased my intake from about 1800 when I was still losing fat to my current 2400 kcal/day, and I have not gained a pound. Your metabolism is a moving target, like I said. Sometimes, when you give your body more energy, your body actually figures out a way to burn more energy. This is especially true with lifting--a lot happens between the lifts, so do not think of it as just fueling that hour you spend at the gym.

I know we're practically strangers, but I think I might love you <3

My metabolism might be moving, but prolly not too fast. I have Hashimoto's disease (causes hypothyroidism) and due to lack of insurance, I haven't had bloodwork done in several years. I currently take .75mcg synthroid daily but it likely needs to adjusted. Any addition advice knowing that?

Thanks!
  • bumblebums
    Options

Thanks.

I know we're practically strangers, but I think I might love you <3

My metabolism might be moving, but prolly not too fast. I have Hashimoto's disease (causes hypothyroidism) and due to lack of insurance, I haven't had bloodwork done in several years. I currently take .75mcg synthroid daily but it likely needs to adjusted. Any addition advice knowing that?

Thanks!

Ah, that changes everything. A poorly functioning thyroid will have a lot of effects throughout the body, and lower BMR is one of them. So you might never be able to eat quite as much as someone who is exactly the same as you except for Hashimoto's. Definitely talk to your endocrinologist, but the point about getting tired and cranky is still valid--you just have to use your judgment about how much more you can increase your calories while still trying to lose or maintain weight.
  • tatasmagik
    Options
    Yeah, my immune system is stupid for thinking my thyroid is the enemy. Ah well, what can I do? I've seen only 10 lbs come off so far doing mostly cardio (I haven't weighed since July 8, which was when I started SL and don't plan to weigh again til after my next TOM). I started in April. I expect everything to take longer. I'm not hungry (usually) and I never deny myself (that might be why I got heavy in the first place), I'm just being more mindful of my calories/macros and moving my body. Hopefully that's enough to do the trick! One of these days, I'll learn patience. ;)