food before class

Options
Soy_K
Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
1) how long before class do you eat food?

2) do you eat/drink anything in particular to give you more energy/endurance?

Replies

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My evening classes are currently at 7:15 or 7:30, so I make a quick dinner for myself and the family and then head out. If I'm feeling particularly tired I'll either drink a cup of coffee first or have a pre-workout drink (Garden of Life Focus Energy.)

My Saturday class is 9:45. I've usually been up for a few hours, had a couple cups of coffee and breakfast.

My classes are 45-60 minutes long.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I prefer 2-3 hours from my last meal if possible.. I get pretty uncomfortable if I have a belly full of food when I'm hopping about like a madman.

If I know in advance that I don't have that cushion between meal and practice/class, then I keep it light, and go for the carbs, avoiding protein and fats until after.
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My daughter's class and mine are back to back, immediately after work. I eat a chicken sandwich in the car during her class while waiting for my class to start. So...I finish eating maybe 10 minutes before I start pre-class practicing.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I find that I'm always worried that I'm going to be exhausted for this one particular class - it's my most strenuous class and it's from 8.10-9.30p and it's about a 40 minute drive - so after a work day it can be hard to motivate. I try to eat early on those days (like today) and often pop a b vitamin complex late afternoon and have a green tea and protein bar snack after dinner. I am debating on whether protein powders with BCAA actually help or not. I really can't notice a difference with those, though some people swear by it.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't find that protein helps in energy so much as it prevents me from dropping out of energy in the long term... as in it's important if I'm going to be on my feet all day for a tournament, and competing at the end...

But if I have a meal a few hours before class then have an intense class... I'd go heavier on the carbs during that meal, and have protein after.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I do a 18/6 IF so noon class 5-6 days a week, I am training on a completely empty stomach. It was tough at first, but now I prefer it. I feel lighter and like I move better, especially when grappling.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 to 3 hours before a class. for a morning class I will just have a milkshake with banana about an hour before the class. I can't do a training on an empty stomach in'general my blood pressure can get low so I usually carry cookies in case I need to eat a bit more
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Class is 17:30-19:00 so I normally have lunch by 14:00 and supper after class. If my energy levels are super low, I will have a protein shake, a banana or some yogurt about 30-45 mins before class.