The Wolverine

spud_chick
spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
So, I saw this Sunday and thought it was OK. I like the character and actor, but the trailers didn't exactly wow me. Couldn't buy the surprise villain twist. But some of the action was well done and holy cats! Hugh Jackman looked amazing. You couldn't have buttered a whole 1" square piece of cocktail rye with his total body fat.

Based on the message boards about it, a lot of people think the Wolverine Origins movie from 2009 was just terrible and this one was better, while I have to say I enjoyed that one a little more than this one. That must mean I'm a cretin {shrug}

Was anyone looking forward to this, and what did you think?

Replies

• potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Well, I don't think the first Wolverine movie was "terrible", but then again, I'm a sucker for superhero movies and think all of them are at least "okay".

I liked the new movie, although I do have a problem with one part. Probably just a misunderstanding, but still:

(SPOILER) I don't get how the evil old guy kept himself alive using adamantium, or how sucking it out of Wolverine made a difference. As far as I understand, the adamantium and the ability to heal aren't actually connected. (SPOILER)

Also relevant: Hugh Jackman's tweeted this picture titled "If the bar ain't bendin', then you're just pretendin'."
    XH2fDFu.jpg
  • spud_chick
    He is one hardworking man! Thanks for that.

I agree with you. His capacity for regeneration was natural, and they really made a big stretch with the ending and the supposed motives and details of the unlikely villain's master plan. I thought
    the silver samauri suit
    was a real eye-roller; an excuse to drag a seriously overused movie gimmick into the whole thing. And the ending didn't seem to match up well with the rest of the movie.

I also agree with some other people that this might be a good example of a comic movie better suitable for an R rating. It wasn't kid-friendly and yet they didn't make the most of the fairly adult themes because they were trying to keep it clean. Has there even been an R-rated comic movie since Watchmen?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    I liked it. It was better than the first stand alone Wolverine movie. I squee'd during the extra scene after the movie.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    So, I saw this Sunday and thought it was OK. I like the character and actor, but the trailers didn't exactly wow me. Couldn't buy the surprise villain twist. But some of the action was well done and holy cats! Hugh Jackman looked amazing. You couldn't have buttered a whole 1" square piece of cocktail rye with his total body fat.

Based on the message boards about it, a lot of people think the Wolverine Origins movie from 2009 was just terrible and this one was better, while I have to say I enjoyed that one a little more than this one. That must mean I'm a cretin {shrug}

I never understood why people didn't like the origins movie for Wolverine. I loved it. Lots of action and a nice picture of how Wolverine came to be who he is in the X-Men movies.

I mean the guy freaking launches himself from a Humvee on a helicopter, what else do you need? But I've been told I'm far too easily entertained so mayb I'm not the best critic.
  • spud_chick
    I squee'd during the extra scene after the movie.

That was pretty exciting :) we almost walked out and missed it because a storm came through at the very end of the movie (the parting scene at the airport) and the screen went dead; it took about 15 minutes for them to get it back on. If we hadn't shelled out the extra $$$ for 3D (the only convenient showing for us) we probably would have just abandoned the situation.
  • spud_chick

I never understood why people didn't like the origins movie for Wolverine. I loved it. Lots of action and a nice picture of how Wolverine came to be who he is in the X-Men movies.

I mean the guy freaking launches himself from a Humvee on a helicopter, what else do you need? But I've been told I'm far too easily entertained so mayb I'm not the best critic.

Same here, I guess :) I enjoyed so much of it, and was pleased enough with the character development, that I overlooked anything that might have been a little silly--in fact I can't even remember what complaints I might have had. There were so many fun performances, and that movie made me want to see this one. I never followed comics but really enjoy the movies based on them. So I don't know how well these movies have stuck to the comics (and don't actually care, really, but I feel for those who do. GoT helps me feel their pain.).
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    So, here is what I think.

The adamantium Silver Samurai suit was for the simple purpose of being able to fight Wolverine in case he didn't fall for the bait and come to them. I think that the whole reason that they had it set up to go through the claws was to simply be prepared for a fight. They knew that there was a chance it would end up in a fight and once his claws are out of the way, he loses alot of his threat.

Also, I don't think they were syphoning Adamantium...they just went through the claws (see above for the reason) to get to the flesh for DNA purposes. Suck the dna, splice it, and boom, you have regeneration.

Well, anyhow, that's what I think.

As far as the first move and the second...Loved 'em both. The one complaint that I remember reading about was the scenes with Jean Grey and I think that the critics that complain about that forget some things....

She's an extremely powerful telepath and telekinetic. If Professor X could transfer his mind to another body (surprise scene at the end of X3) then who is to say that she didn't do something similar with her own mind. "You are the one that sent me here." she says during the last scene she's in. hmm...where is "here?"
  • spud_chick
    She's an extremely powerful telepath and telekinetic. If Professor X could transfer his mind to another body (surprise scene at the end of X3) then who is to say that she didn't do something similar with her own mind. "You are the one that sent me here." she says during the last scene she's in. hmm...where is "here?"

A lot of people have said, though, that Jean never chose Logan over Scott (if the movie and comics ar consistent on that point) and that she would be with Scott, not Logan, in wherever Here is since Scott is dead... which suggests that Jean is a figment of Logan's guilt-ridden imagination and a symbol of things he is beating himself up about and then, eventually, letting go of (having to kill Jean), I felt while watching that Jean was just in his mind and it was all about him. But who knows? Maybe they'll get to that in the next movie...
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    I don't ever remember in comics that Wolverine killed Jean Grey!?!?!?!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

In the movies it was in XMen Last Stand.

I was very disappointed in the Wolverine. I liked the first Wolverine movie better. This one was boring and predictable. The best scene was the after credit one!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member

In the movies it was in XMen Last Stand.

I was very disappointed in the Wolverine. I liked the first Wolverine movie better. This one was boring and predictable. The best scene was the after credit one!

I thought the first Wolverine movie was a travesty, I pretty much deleted it from memory. I went into this one expecting to hate it but they did a much better job at developing the character. They need to ditch Hugh Jackman and reboot it all with a focus on character and action being in the background
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    First Wolverine movie sucked. Horribly. I'm a huuuge Deadpool fan, though. So seeing Ryan Reynolds and then their mess up of the whole Weapon X project kind of made me sad. Though, they're in the process of a Deadpool movie. I really wants it.

The Wolverine was okay, I guess. Compared to the first one. Don't even get me started on Last Stand... the only part of that movie I liked was Juggernaut saying, "Im the Juggernaut *****." They completely ruined Phoenix.