Couple of firsts :)

Options
victory68
victory68 Posts: 76 Member
I usually run outside but the smoke levels are too dangerous for that right now and Anytime Fitness is free this weekend in my town to give people a place to shower and breathe clean air. So today was my first time on a treadmill. I actually really liked it. I obviously prefer to be outside but I liked how it helped me keep my pace steady. I set it to my typical distance pace and took off. Which brings me to my second 1st. 2 hours and 33 minutes later I completed my first half marathon! I really only do 5ks and every now and then run a 10k just for the heck of it but today I ran my own half marathon! I know it's not very fast but it was my first and I was just happy to make it all the way through the 13.1 miles! What were your guy's times the first time you went that distance and what are they now?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on running your first 13.1 miles. I ran my first 13 miles shortly before my first HM race. It was about 2:25. I ended up not running that race, thanks to a pelvic stress fracture I developed 5 days before the event. When I finally ran my first HM, two years later, I did 2:08. My current PR is 2:00:40, but I'm hoping to beat that at my race next week.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    It's always a good feeling to run a new long distance!

I don't remember how long it took the first time I ran 13 miles, but it was 13.4 miles in a paced training run with a target pace of 8:30 per mile, so it should have been somewhere around 1:54. I can look up the time for my first half marathon race; that was 1:32:24. I haven't got much faster than that, and I don't expect to ever equal my half marathon PR of 1:28:49; but now I finish half marathons in better physical shape and with less need for recovery than I did in my first one. A typical half for me now would be in the 1:30 to 1:33 range for a race, and in the 1:40 to 1:48 range for a training run of half marathon distance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My first half marathon last year was 2:24:06

This year it was 2:17:35
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    My first Half Marathon was a 2:15 finish
    Current Official PR is: 2:01:09
    Unofficial PR: 1:59:30 First Half of Grandma's marathon
    Fastest in training (not counting a quick water break): 1:53:05

Just looking at that, I realize how far I've come in a little over a year.

Keep up the running, you did great!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon in 2003 in 2:05:xx. My second half marathon the next year was also 2:05:xx. I ran my third half marathon in 2012 in 2:05:xx. Seeing a pattern here? After that I really started getting into running and increasing my mileage. Last year I ran two half marathons in October on back to back weekends in 1:39:58 and 1:39:57. I guess you can say I am at least consistent!
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys this is actually really inspiring :) I love to see the improvement and hear your different stories. I ran it just to see if I could and now that I know I can I'm thinking of signing up for an official race.
    Keep Running!
  • Wendy98
    Wendy98 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was late to the half marathon game and ran my first hm race after I had done a marathon. I don't remember exactly, but was in the 1:52-54 range. My hm pr was in March 2016 and was 1:25. I seem to be hovering around 1:26 this year. My hm split in my recent marathons have been 1:27-1:29. Ftr, I am a woman over 40.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My first HM was 2:07:58, and my race PR is 2:04:xx.

Difficult to compare different races though as they're all trail with wildly varying elevation profiles. I think my slowest was 2:45:xx, the day after two trail 10Ks.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on running your first 13.1 miles. I ran my first 13 miles shortly before my first HM race. It was about 2:25. I ended up not running that race, thanks to a pelvic stress fracture I developed 5 days before the event. When I finally ran my first HM, two years later, I did 2:08. My current PR is 2:00:40, but I'm hoping to beat that at my race next week.

I ended up with a 1:54:27 at the race on Sunday. Not bad for a 60 year old. (I won my AG and an apple pie.)