Hopefully a destination page for old folk interested in real, randori based martial arts

Options
You have to have been hiding under a rock, or very averse to violence to not be familiar with the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) and MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). Most of the time you see young guys participating; but there is a thriving scene for those of us with a little mileage on these carbon based vehicles carrying our souls.

The difference is that we use age, experience, and treachery when we fight. This will hopefully be a page for men and women who like to train martial arts, as hard as they train physically.

Why MMA/BJJ/Muay Thai specifically? It is because primarily, these martial arts rely upon 100% fully resisting fighting at the end of every class. The training style of these arts are extremely intense, where most people quite after a matter of a couple of months. (I will use MMA as the main overall general term to describe the arts of BJJ and Muay Thai primarily, because they are the main arts that get combined to form MMA)

MMA differs from TMA (Traditional Martial Arts: Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do) in that most TMA's rely upon katas (patterns) and light touch sparring, or "point style" fighting for their active training cycles. Also TMA's are typically FAR less physically intensive compared to MMA. Moreover, you cannot train MMA and avoid fighting your training partners at 100% effort.

I will speak from experience; having started my martial arts training in 1981 in Tae Kwon Do, Ninjutsu (yes, for real), then Karate. Until my first MMA fight in 1993, where I learned that my black belts (plural) meant nothing against a Muay Thai fighter. Mind you, I'd been boxing and fighting against my fellow soldiers competitively, and successfully at the time.

Muay Thai consumed me starting in 1993. Then BJJ infected me in 1996. There has been no looking back since. I was quite good at TMA; but TMA didn't compare to MMA. And I lived as a warrior. A US Army Infantryman who's only job and mission in life was to be as tough, and ferocious as possible.

So, if you are a TMA fan, do understand that this is NOT an group that will give the benefit of the doubt to TMA. So while you are more than welcome here, please don't show up just to start an argument. :-)

IF you are someone who is looking to join an academy and train MMA, drop me a line. I have an extremely extensive rolodex of academies globally. I've been fortunate to have traveled extensively, trained with the best in the arts; I'd be happy to help you find a place to train, and make an introduction.

I also have a couple Facebook pages that are quite active.
BJJ/Sambo/MMA fold Old guys
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bjjforoldguys/

All Things BJJ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bjjforoldguys/