Oct 30 Weekly Challenge: Unsweetened

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
Theme: Healthy Eating
Challenge: Unsweetened

Having spent last week reconnecting with some of the important people in our lives, our challenge this week is kind of the opposite. This week, let’s put some distance between us and something that most of us love, but always seems to be thwarting the goals that we’ve set and the life we are working hard to create for ourselves. Do we really want to make space in our lives for something that keeps holding us back?

I’m talking about sugar. Most of us eat more sugar than our bodies can easily process and far more than what’s recommended. Excessive sugar has been implicated in a long list of negative health impacts from obesity, heart disease, diabetes, joint pain, dental disease, kidney and liver function, depression, and brain changes. People who eat a lot of added sugar (more than 25% of their calories comes from added sugar) are twice as likely to die of heart disease as those whose diets have less than 10% of total calories from added sugar. And for most of us, sugar is highly addictive. We eat sugary foods and we start craving even more sugar. We satisfy one craving only to see it come back a short time later. It’s a never ending cycle.

If you know you eat too much sugar and you’re tired of the control it has over your life, if you’d like to pass on the endless parade of muffins, cookies, cakes, and candies that flood most offices, schools, and workplaces, and if you’re ready for a change...this week is a great place to start. Reducing your sugar intake requires time, commitment, and a personal plan tailored just to you. There is no one strategy that will work for everyone. But you can do it! And If you’ve been successful in reducing your sugar consumption, please tell us how you got there. Your tips and ideas will no doubt be appreciated by those who want to reduce their sugar intake.

This Week’s Challenge:

1. If you eat a lot of sugar and want to cut back: Ease off the sugar pedal gradually. Going “cold turkey“ usually isn’t sustainable. What are one or two dietary changes that you could make now? (See the “30 Easy Ways” article below for more ideas). Keep working at lowering your sugar consumption for several weeks. It may take more than one week to stop the sugar cravings and see a noticeable improvement in how you feel. Keep at it and it will happen.

2. If you’ve already de-sweetened your diet, but want to go further: What’s another change or two you could make to reduce your sugar further? Your food diary may give you insights into hidden sources of sugar that could be addressed. Please share with us how you’ve reduced your sugar intake so far. What specifically did you do? Tips, suggestions, and food swaps are much appreciated. What improvements have you seen in your health and in how you feel as a result of eating less sugar? Please share.

3. If you’re happy with your sugar intake now, but you used to eat a lot of sugar: How did you get to this point? What specifically did you do? Tips, suggestions, insights, and food swaps are much appreciated. What improvements have you seen in your health and in how you feel as a result of eating less sugar? Please tell us.

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

How Sugar Affects Your Body
https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/how-sugar-affects-your-body

The Shocking Truth About Sugar:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-darria-long-gillespie/the-shocking-truth-about-_10_b_9906666.html

11 Weird Things Sugar's Doing To Your Body
https://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/weird-effects-sugars-having-on-your-body/slide/8

30 Easy Ways to Stop Eating So Much Sugar
http://www.eatthis.com/stop-eating-sugar/

..................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    edited October 2017
    Options
    on9kmf0u4hmz.jpeg

2hemcgawkaxk.jpeg

utsbbtxwfdwz.jpeg

ufzveognzmyn.jpeg

• jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Okay, I get cutting down on added sugar but I don't get why using artificial sweeteners is bad besides the fact that they're artificial and full of chemicals.
    Whether or not sweetener is bad for us or not is a very long- standing argument.
    I had bariatric surgery 2 years ago yesterday and in the full fluids portion of recovery after surgery and while taking Optifast prior to surgery, they recommend sugar free Jello, Crystal Light or similar, especially if you don't like plain water because they recommend a lot for full fluids.
    In my experience it has not led to weight gain. I love my Crystal Light, Source sugar free yogurt, sugar free puddings etc. I get to have a quick sweet snack and enjoy it too.
    I do eat fruits and veggies as well. Love them but with such a small stomach after surgery, they take up a lot of room.
    I will pay more attentions to the sugar in what bread products I do eat as well as the sugar content in my Greek yogurt.
  • jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I seriously question number 5 above as well. If that were truly proven, it would be all over the news.
  • themedalist
    Options
    jlperiard wrote: »
    I seriously question number 5 above as well. If that were truly proven, it would be all over the news.

I think it should have been stated as “may increase the risk”. This sheds some light on the possible link:

Alzheimer's could be caused by excess sugar: new study finds 'molecular link':
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/02/23/alzheimers-could-caused-excess-sugar-new-study-finds-molecular/

Regarding artificial sweeteners, they are controversial. I think if they work for you, you enjoy them, and you don’t notice any side effects, that’s what’s important. I get headaches if I use aspartame.

• deadiebear_82
    deadiebear_82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    jlperiard wrote: »

It wasn't worded correctly. It MAY increase the risk. My office-mate has been doing extensive research on "Type 3 Diabetes" and Alzheimer's Disease, and there is a lot of evidence that they COULD be linked. It's very interesting.

The artificial sweetener debate is very controversial. In my own personal opinion and what works for me is everything in moderation. Too much of most things is bad news.

I enjoy this discussion board! It's fun learning from others.
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    And I have gradually weaned myself off Ovaltine and now have camomile tea before bed
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I am pre diabetic to the extra sweets are out. With that said, being a diabetic means that you need to make sure you are eating as balance as you can and that All food and drink affects your blood sugar levels. Holidays and special occasions are bad for me ( I tend to overindulge) but the rest of the time I am fine. I have made tons of food swaps and have eliminated some items from my diet, others I do eat in moderation. We only live once, right!

Blood sugar does affect your heart, digestive, pancreas, liver, you name it. Even your reproductive system. It is not joke. It is all linked. My take on artificial sweeteners is this: if something has to be named artificial, I should not eat it. Just my opinion. Our bodies are not prepared to digest these types of products so they do have to work overtime to detox.

Great discussion!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to the party this week, but...

I'm happy with my current sugar intake. I think the biggest change I made was I now take my coffee black. I drink easily 3-4 cups of coffee a day and I used to take it with 2-3 sugars and half and half (light and sweet- if you've ever ordered from a NY coffee cart).

So all that sugar (because dairy also has natural sugar) really added a lot to my daily intake. I started small, I reduced my sugars in my coffee to one. The next step was no sugar and most recently I started drinking my coffee black all work week (I allow myself a little milk in my coffee on the weekends, it keeps me from feeling too deprived).

A few other tips I have are: 1) peppermint tea when you are craving something sweet, 2) Halo Top if you are an ice cream fan (the Fall seasonal pumpkin flavor is killer), 3) Floss and Brush your teeth before whenever it is you would normally snack at night.

Have a great week everyone!

That is exactly how I cut back on the sugar in my coffee @teepuppylove , And years ago I had a dental hygienist suggest to floss and brushing after dinner to eliminate the evening snacking - at the time, I was not ready to hear it, but it is such a great idea.
  • teepuppylove
    teepuppylove Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    I'm a little late to the party this week, but...

I'm happy with my current sugar intake. I think the biggest change I made was I now take my coffee black. I drink easily 3-4 cups of coffee a day and I used to take it with 2-3 sugars and half and half (light and sweet- if you've ever ordered from a NY coffee cart).

So all that sugar (because dairy also has natural sugar) really added a lot to my daily intake. I started small, I reduced my sugars in my coffee to one. The next step was no sugar and most recently I started drinking my coffee black all work week (I allow myself a little milk in my coffee on the weekends, it keeps me from feeling too deprived).

A few other tips I have are: 1) peppermint tea when you are craving something sweet, 2) Halo Top if you are an ice cream fan (the Fall seasonal pumpkin flavor is killer), 3) Floss and Brush your teeth before whenever it is you would normally snack at night.

Have a great week everyone!

That is exactly how I cut back on the sugar in my coffee @teepuppylove , And years ago I had a dental hygienist suggest to floss and brushing after dinner to eliminate the evening snacking - at the time, I was not ready to hear it, but it is such a great idea.

I really works...I don't always do it, but when I am feeling like I am heading towards a binge that is my first line of defense.

Do you drink your coffee black too? Or just sugarless?
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    @teepuppylove , I drink my coffee black and like it.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I wish I could, but I cannot drink my coffee black :(
    No I force myself to drink just one a day, creamer and that is it. So far so good. If I have to drink another cup it is plain black and since I do not like it I have gotten use to drinking just one cup a day. My treat.

@TrishasTime good for you! Little changes get you great results. Good luck.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    A week late to the party! I love this thread! Great conversation and lots of good tips. I'm going to use some of these this week. I have been on a Halloween candy binge and am trying to detox from sugar right now. Right now I'm craving ice cream horribly, but I'm going to swap it out for cottage cheese and berries tonight. I can't wait to go try the Halo Top that was recommended above. I actually had a doctor recommend Halo Top when I was teaching her our clinic's software a few weeks back. Must be something to it!

I can't wait to read the rest of the references above and get more tips! :blush:
  • themedalist
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have really enjoyed our sugar discussion and I’ve picked up some tips I can use such as brushing and flossing my teeth early and having peppermint tea.

Having given up the empty calorie sugar treats, sugar cravings aren’t really a problem for me anymore and I’m really happy about that. I wanted to be free of sugar’s clutches and the hold it once had on me. Like @77tes, I find if I overindulge in sugar over several days, the cravings return. But I can have a treat occasionally (such as dessert at a restaurant) and it’s not a problem.

A couple of other tips that have worked for me. There are some treats that I just can’t have in the house, because I’ll be too tempted and it won’t end well. Cookies, cakes, pies, and candy don’t come into my house, so I don’t need any willpower to resist them. If I want a slice of something, I have to go out and get it. There are always fewer calories in a slice of Boston Cream Pie than there are in the whole pie. :) Also, because I eat a lot of yogurt, I mix in plain yogurt with it to reduce the sweetness. I also want to get used to eating things that are less sweet.

Great job everyone this week and in creating a balanced relationship with sugar!