How's it going Hair Divas!?

Options
Curvimami
Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
How's it going? Any progress? New tips, or tricks? Reached any mini goals? Major goals? :happy:

Replies

• piersons
    piersons Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was excited to find this group! I just decided to transition from relaxed to natural hair and I am re-committing to health/wellness/exercise. It's great to have a spot to combine both. First - I have very course, I think 4c hair. I've only been tranistion for about 8 weeks and it's already a challenge for me, particularly with trying to get back into fitness. I sweat terribly. Any suggestions?
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Hey there! :-D

I totally fried my hair with overprocessing, so I've been treating (Aphogee Protein 2-step) and deep conditioning every time I wash. With search and destroy for the spit/really fried ends, I've managed to avoid cutting it all off. I'm down to bra-strap length when dried, about two inches from waist when wet. When it's curled up, it is about 2 inches above bra strap.

piersons - We have very different hair types, but here is a great site for ladies transitioning from relaxed to natural... http://www.curlynikki.com/

For me, I wear my hair in an updo on my weight lifting days (not too much sweat), and then wear it in a banana clip the next day (the updo makes pretty curls) for cardio. Honestly, I zone out watching myself run in the mirror, and I like to see my hair bounce back and forth. Total vanity, but it keeps me occupied. LOL

Anyway, that was not the point. I get really sweaty on cardio days, so I wash then. If I need to rinse out on a non-wash day, I rinse really well and apply conditioner, and then rinse that out. If you need to rinse out every day, then I would look into wet hair styles, to cut down on heat styling.
  • piersons
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding! The majority of my hair length is still relaxed so that creates a bit more of a challenge for me than if I had all natural or all relaxed hair. I am attempting a long transition to natural - without having to chop it all off but I'm so afraid I'll end up losing my length eventually from my relaxed hair popping off at the root. I shoudl probably get braids or something to keep my hair up while it grows out, but I don't think my work environment would be friendly to that.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Deep conditioning and twistouts may be good for you during the transition it will help with keeping the hair uniform until you are ready to cut off the rest of the relaxed ends. Emirror is so right about Curlynikki's site as well. Good luck! :wink:

My hair starting breaking off as well and its growing all crazy and uneven (longer in the back with a 3 in gap in the middle). Im trying to reach waist length with long layers but its not looking too good.lol. The back is nearly there but I cut off three inches due to the crazy growth (trying to get top and middle layers to catch up to the back) I am so tempted to cut it all even, but am so happy parts of my hair is near waistlength (was waist length prior to 3 inch trim :grumble: But it was necessary) I dont know what to do, I would rather it be shorter, healthy and curly than long, with gaps and raggedy ends.
  • emirror
    Options
    I keep going back and forth between cutting it off, and waiting for the damage to grow out. I'm lucky in the fact that I don't deal with nearly as much shrinkage as ya'll do, so even a 3 inch gain for me would be a visual 1 inch gain for yours. Man, that would be frustrating.

Anyway, I keep deciding that I would rather put it up and have it look nice in an updo, rather than take my chances on a short cut.

I agree with twistouts to try to make the relaxed part match the natural part. I really liked the Aphogee 2-step protein treatment for really saving my butt and not having to chop it all off. It was in some seriously bad shape.

Otherwise, and I don't know how feasible this is, so if it's dumb, you just let me know... but can you perm the relaxed ends to make them match the natural curl pattern that is growing in? Seriously, I don't know if that's possible, so that may be the dumbest idea ever, but I've wondered it from time to time.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I keep going back and forth between cutting it off, and waiting for the damage to grow out. I'm lucky in the fact that I don't deal with nearly as much shrinkage as ya'll do, so even a 3 inch gain for me would be a visual 1 inch gain for yours. Man, that would be frustrating.

Anyway, I keep deciding that I would rather put it up and have it look nice in an updo, rather than take my chances on a short cut.

I agree with twistouts to try to make the relaxed part match the natural part. I really liked the Aphogee 2-step protein treatment for really saving my butt and not having to chop it all off. It was in some seriously bad shape.

Otherwise, and I don't know how feasible this is, so if it's dumb, you just let me know... but can you perm the relaxed ends to make them match the natural curl pattern that is growing in? Seriously, I don't know if that's possible, so that may be the dumbest idea ever, but I've wondered it from time to time.

Interesting idea emirror, I mean she's gonna cut the relaxed ends off eventually anyways. I wonder if anyone has ever done that before.

Side note; Emirror I still think your locs are just gorgeous!! :love:
  • piersons
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think there is anything short of a brillo pad that would match my new growth right now. It is course, thick , and tight. I'm only 2 months into this natural journey so I don't have a defined curl pattern just yet and I have more relaxed hair than natural. I will try twist outs and roller sets and spend countless hours up at night scouring the internet and youtube for ideas. I have faith that it will all work out in the end. Do you mind if I add the two of you as friends? I also need accountability and support on my health/weight loss journey.
  • emirror
    Options
    Thank you, Curvimami! I really like my hair long, vs short. :) I LOVE your natural hair! It's so beautiful!

I'm going to look in to perming the ends. I've wondered that for a few years now... But I would think that a natural-hair beautician would be able to figure out your approximate curl pattern... Maybe another month or two of growth to acheive a full curl, to really be able to tell?

I tell you what, ladies, I might have just hit on a multi-million-dollar idea, right there. ;-)

Feel free to add me!