kung fu magazine

Options
Soy_K
Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
edited November 2017 in Social Groups
ok so I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone personally on this board, so I feel OK (i.e. semi-anonymous) to post this. the only other people I've shared it with are my husband, mom and brother's family! (Total poser. I was just helping to model the article for the authors who is one of my coaches!) t533c3b3b4fr.jpg

Replies

• LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I would love to be this flexible!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So cool!

And you're modeling some of my all-time favorite drills - wall kicks, and wall splits!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Why would you be shy about this? That's awesome
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    That is very, very, very cool.

I vote that you should frame the spread and put it on the wall.
  • Soy_K
    Options
    thank you guys! @geocitiesuser - despite being chatty online, I am pretty quiet and private in person. Only a handful of people I know really know about my martial arts habit! I kind of feel embarrassed because I feel like an imposter because I'm such a beginner! I also have felt embarrassed because in some instances I've been made to feel that I'm "too old" to have this new obsession that's more for young people and young bodies. It's definitely not going to stop me from doing it but I don't go out of my way to publicize it with people who aren't involved in martial arts either!
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are ever too old. We had a retire start taekwondo because as a truck driver he could not commit to a regular place but once he was free he started it. The other day I saw a lady start body building in her 70, there is a Japanese lady that started swimming very late n is now doing competitions. So I don't think age is an excuse. From the pictures you cant tell how long a person is doing it but I would feel weird if someone would ask me to pose for a story n I would likely refuse to help out. so I think you should be proud in doing this ☺
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome! I also wish I was this flexible. Maybe I should challenge myself to daily drills
  • Soy_K
    Options
    Wow! Awesome! I also wish I was this flexible. Maybe I should challenge myself to daily drills

I usually try to put stretching in throughout the day. First thing in the morning I hang from a bar, do one set of scapular lifts and then walk bridges down and up the wall 3x. It literally takes less than 5 minutes. Lower body stretching usually happens while folding laundries or while watching movies. I take a flexibility class too. It has been teaching me a lot about dynamic stretching vs passive stretching and I've learned a lot of active release techniques with lacrosse balls/foam blocks/roller that feel painful but good.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough, I've always been able to do a full split. I don't know why. I've had times in the past I've stretched growing up, but never consistently or strongly. Seems to be pretty rare for us adults to be able to do.
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    So amazing Soy. I second the idea about laying it out in a frame. I also feel awkward, being older, and a female, and overweight attempting to do martial arts. But, eh, like that one article BW posted a few weeks ago said, many people want to do this and just never do, so who's the weird one? Not us!!