Recent change in how many calories are being added to MFP from Fitbit

Options
Hello, I have been using MFP linked with a Fitbit for a number of years now and from about Wednesday 1st Nov 2017 I have noticed that far more Fitbit calories than usual are being credited to MFP for doing the same amount of exercise. I normally have to walk around 4km a day just to get to a 'break-even' point where no calories are taken off my daily allowance. Since the 1st I am getting over 500 calories added to MFP after walking 4km ! Anyone else noticing a recent problem ? Thanks

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Have you made sure your stats are correct (i.e. you entered in an incorrect weight that would mess with the calories burned)?
  • cargram
    cargram Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello - I noticed the same. I've pretty much sat on my butt all day, just walked to my car and back and I have 633 fitbit calories adjusted. I would like to stop syncing my fitbit to Myfitnesspal altogether. Does anyone know how to do that? At this point I'd have to eat all day to keep up with the fitbit calorie credit.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing the opposite. I had a 20 minute walk, plus a TRX class, and the MFP gave me around 98 calories. Also, on my phone, it's showing I walked only 18 steps. I've had my fitbit a couple of years, too, so it's not as if I just got it or changed all my settings.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I'm a new user, but it seems off to me too.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There was an issue in the past with Fitbit, where despite the fact they displayed your weight in lbs and you could visually confirm it was correct, you could calculate and see they were internally using that figure as kg in math calculations - which is of course badly inflated.

Merely changing it, saving, and changing it back to correct - fixed the issue.

I don't recall if it came down to the app needed the correct or the web account did, but better to close the app, and do it on the web account since that is really where the data is.

Then resync device so it gets the correct stats for it's math of calories.

For those seeing the increase in calories - do you have weight displayed as lbs or kgs?

Because it's actually stored as kgs anyway for the math calculations - the setting for units display is what determines what you see.

Just looked at my Zip - first sync since Oct 29 ((which would be correct as the computer app closed for some reason, yet somehow, I have steps known by Fitbit web account).
    It said there was an update. Ok, here goes.
    Ok, despite 3 syncs, still says update available - but the BMR level burn is exactly the same - so no weight confusion.
  • ZenAndTheArt
    ZenAndTheArt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I have always tracked my weight in Kgs these past few years anyway so that isn't the problem. I'm getting about 500 or so Fitbit calories a day being credited without me doing anything special. As Cargram said I'd have to eat like a horse to keep up with it :D This has only been happening since the 1st Nov. Although in the past the amount of Fitbit calories credited has always been a bit sketchy it was generally ok. I think I'll unlink the Fitbit from MFP for a day or so and then re attach it later to see if that fixes it. (I've lost 12 kgs using MFP in the couple of months btw so I'm a happy bunny) Thanks everyone
  • ZenAndTheArt
    ZenAndTheArt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cargram - I forgot to answer your post. You can unlink your Fitbit by going to APPS on the main menu then select MYAPPS and then select FITBIT which gives you the option to unlink it :)