Nov 6 Weekly Challenge: Wall Push-Ups

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
Theme: Exercise and Movement
Challenge: Wall Push-Ups

I had never heard of wall push-ups until a personal trainer friend of mine told me it’s one of her favorite exercises to recommend to clients and suggested it as one of our weekly challenges. Now I see why! Wall pushups can be done by almost anyone, require no special equipment, and are easy to work into your schedule when you only have a few minutes. Plus, they work the chest, arm, and core muscles. If you can’t or prefer not to do floor push-ups, wall push-ups provide an effective alternative.

As with all exercises, proper form is important. The links below will walk you through the process of doing wall push-ups correctly. Want to make it a little more challenging? Slow each repetition down a bit. The Daily Burn link has alternative ways to do push-ups that may be more appealing to those accustomed to traditional push-ups.

This Week’s Challenge:

Add a few sets of wall push-ups to your exercise routine several times this week. You can vary the intensity of wall push-ups by changing the speed of each repetition as well as where you place your feet. Can you work in a few sets during commercials, as you wait for the microwave, or some other routine you have? Tying wall push-ups to something you do already is a great way to make these push-ups a new habit.

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Do a Wall Push Up
https://m.wikihow.com/Do-a-Wall-Push-Up

Wall Push Ups
https://go4life.nia.nih.gov/exercises/wall-push

Can’t Do a Push-Up? Here’s Where to Start
http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/how-to-do-a-push-up-variations/

5 Things You Need to Know About Wall Push-Ups
https://www.livestrong.com/article/6139-need-wall-push-ups/

What Are the Benefits of Push-Ups?
https://www.livestrong.com/article/25511-benefits-pushups/

..................................................................................................

Replies

• jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I used to do wall push ups regularly as part of my physiotherapy exercises for my recurrent tendonitis/rotator cuff injury. My chest muscles were too tight and my trapezius? muscle was too weak so my shoulders were being pulled forward. Whenever my shoulder start to bother me again, I start doing those physio exercises.
    My shoulder was bothering me 2 days ago and now look: chest push ups are the weekly challenge.
    You must be psychic Denise.
    Another way to increase the difficulty and stretch is to perform them in a corner.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I’m glad you like this week’s challenge, @jlperiard. I’m a big fan of body weight exercises like push-ups, planks, and squats that need no equipment. Really easy to work into a schedule. I like that there’s so many variations in push-ups. There’s something for everyone. With 2 artificial hips and one still healing, it’s really difficult for me to get down on the floor and get up again. That may improve with time, not sure. So it’s great having lots of push-up options to choose from.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I get so focused on thinking that a work out means going to the room with my weights and dvds that I forget about the great ways to work my muscles that don’t involve a special place or time. Thinking about wall push-ups this week will remind me to do squats and planks as well. I do the planks on my stairs because it’s hard for me to get down and up off the floor since my knee surgery. Gotta do whatever works!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Great post! Awesome challenge. Lets do this!
  • SilverSheWolf55
    SilverSheWolf55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm in on this challenge. I believe I can do wall push ups. @deadiebear_82 , I love you idea to get in some much needed upper strength exercise! Happy Monday everyone!
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Me too, I love deadiebear_82 tips for this, let's do it!!
  • deadiebear_82
    deadiebear_82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Let's do this!!!! :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    I also love this challenge! My daughters were lifeguards, and one part of the test was very tough on the young women lifeguards. They had to retrieve a dummy from the bottom of the pool, swim it back to the edge , and jump out holding the dummy, and pulp it from the pool. Most of those young women were strong swimmers who could get the dummy back to the edge of the pool in very fast times. Getting out of the pool was the hard part. Sometimes men who could hardly swim could manage better because a one arm push up was easy for them since they had greater upper body strength than the women.

The old lifeguard who had been doing the job for years would take the women aside and give them the lecture - start with wall push ups. Then move to counter height, then bench height. It was a great help.

So many people think push ups are too hard, but if you start this way, they are possible. I like to say that I couldn't do a push up until I was in my 50s.

@deadiebear_82 , I like your suggestions! Great plan.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I am thrilled to see so many of you excited about our push-up challenge this week!

Let’s do this!
  • skyraye13
    skyraye13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just joined & am so excited to see this as my first challenge!
  • themedalist
    Options
    skyraye13 wrote: »
    I just joined & am so excited to see this as my first challenge!

Welcome, @skyraye13 to our group! We are glad that you have joined us!
  • rick3390
    rick3390 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do not see where information is uploaded or are these personal challenges? New guy!
  • themedalist
    Options
    rick3390 wrote: »
    I do not see where information is uploaded or are these personal challenges? New guy!

Hi @rick3390, welcome to our group! I think you’d consider our weekly challenges as personal challenges. We certainly encourage people to share their results, progress, and updates, but there really isn’t any way for people to upload their results. Plus, there’s a different theme and challenge weekly. Many of our challenges aren’t quantitative in nature.

Glad you have joined us!

• themedalist
    Options
    How are the wall pushups going? I know my arms are a little sore this week!

Hope you are finding wall pushups something you can do and has an impact!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    I haven't done as many wall pushups as I would have liked this week. I was shooting for 10 sets of 25. I have been doing a couple sets of 25 in the morning, but then I forget about them for the rest of the day. Still 50 pushups is better than 0.
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Yes have been doing sets if 10 when I remember and when safe to do so, can definitely feel it in my upper arms, thank you for the challenge!
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    I haven't done as many wall pushups as I would have liked this week. I was shooting for 10 sets of 25. I have been doing a couple sets of 25 in the morning, but then I forget about them for the rest of the day. Still 50 pushups is better than 0.

50 push-ups is terrific!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I did wall push ups whenever I used the microwave. That trigger made it easy to remember to do them. You can get a lot of push ups done in 3 minutes. My microwave is a low power model so it gave me lots of time. It felt good to be doing something productive instead of standing there watching the bowl go ‘round and I will continue after the challenge is over.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I did not do the challenge this week even though I had intended to and signed up. I will in the future read the resources to learn how to do the wall pushups, and then figure out how to add them into my exercises.

I need to do more strength exercises, especially body weight ones.

Pushups would be very good for me to get back into doing. I've gotten out of even thinking about them since having my wrist fractures. I did notice the other day that most, if not all, of my range of motion has finally returned in my wrist. But I'm definitely not sure of the position required for pushups has returned also. Actually while writing this post I realized that it is kind of scary for me to think about it. Well, it seems like that means something else for me to conquer :noway: .

:flowerforyou: