Dieting before TTC

Options
Hi ladies! I am not yet pregnant but our goal is to start trying after the holidays. I am a healthy weight currently (5'3", 113 lbs, small frame so each pound gained or lost is visible) but I have about 5 vanity pounds I'd love to get rid of.

I know I should ideally gain 25-35 lbs while pregnant. My question is.. Am I being ridiculous worrying about trying to lose 5 lbs first? Will it not make a difference since I will be gaining weight anyway? Is it even safe to diet right before TTC?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Why not focus on fitness, instead of scale? Fitness is what you need to haul that extra 25-35 lbs around.
    The lbs you will gain back, the fitness will stay with you, really through your whole pregnancy.

Do some aerobic and strength training. Haul 35 lb weights around the house with you while you do chores. (this might be an eyeopener).
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm currently doing strong curves (though took 2 weeks off due to feeling under the weather) so my plan is to continue with that for as long as safely possible.
  • tnahill
    tnahill Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Auby,
    I’m in a very similar situation! We are thinking about starting to try in the spring, and I’ve been steadily losing weight since the summer. Being healthy enough for a pregnancy is my biggest motivator! I’m 5’3 and currently 144 (SW 161). My goal is 130-135 so bigger than you, but I think I’ll be comfortable there. I just want to be well in the healthy BMI range for my height.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, you have made great progress! Congrats on the future little one!