Plyometrics for runners?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
Does anyone do runner specific plyometric exercises? My plyobility(?) is terrible. Is that even a word? Not sure. Whatever. I can't jump for *kitten*. Last night my trainer had me doing box jumps and it was downright embarrassing. I could not even land solidly on a 12 inch step. I am pretty strong and I have good balance, but when it comes to power, forget it. My legs are perfectly rigid as can be. I think this comes from running and tight hips, hamstrings, etc. I am trying to put more focus on changing this by doing more plyo exercises (I tend to stay away from them because I suck at them). I found a few that are recommended for runners via google search, but I was wondering if anyone had anything specific that they have found to be effective in increasing power in the legs? If so, has it helped your running? Does anyone else share this same problem?

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I've had various issues with my feet and ankles, so plyometrics don't seem like a good risk-reward profile for me. Drills at the club frequently include moves that have a skip. That's as close to plyometrics as I want to come, and when I'm coming off injury there's a point where I can run but I can't do the skipping drills. Go figure.

I've had very few hip and hamstring issues, but I came to running after already being a weight lifter doing stuff for the quads, glutes, and hamstrings. When I had issues with my tensor fascia latta after Boston 2016, guess what? I had slacked off the kettlebell swings and snatches, that work the glutes, hamstrings, and erector spinae.

So I don't do plyo. But I added back the kettlebell work. 2 or 3 days a week, I do 3 sets of 10 Russian style swings with a 40 lb. kettlebell, followed by 2 sets of 10 snatches with the same kettlebell. The swings warm me up enough that I can get into the snatches. These are one-arm exercises; a set is 10 with each arm. The 3 or 2 days a week that I don't do swings and snatches, I do one set of 5 Turkish get-ups with a windmill at the top, using a 30 lb. kettlebell, then 3 sets of 10 squats using a 40 lb. and 35 lb. kettlebell at the rack position, alternating which side has the heavier bell.

This doesn't really seem like much, but I do it consistently and it seems to be enough to support my running habit. I no longer try to work up to heavier weights while squatting; I picked 75 lbs. because I found myself thinking I was too beat up to squat 85 lbs. (45 and 40 lb. kettlebells) too many times. I do TGUs at 30 lbs. because I found myself thinking I was too beat up to handle 35 lbs. too often. The goal is consistency, not the heaviest lift I can physically do.

I have no idea whether what I'm doing is as good as plyometrics for avoiding high hip injuries, or I simply have a better physiology than average to work with in that area. I'm pretty sure I have a worse physiology than the average distance runner in the feet and ankles, and I do what I can for that.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of plyo and HiiT for off-season building. I usually stick to core and body weight strength routines during season. When I have been able to be consistent with plyo and HiiT, it has aided me greatly in injury prevention during the race season. In addition, it also helped me with my running kicks for final miles and for shorter sprints. However, I find yoga to be equally as beneficial. If you suffer from bad knees, back, or other leg issues, I would stay away from plyo and HiiT until you build up your stabilizer muscles to handle the impact. Otherwise, do what you enjoy. Cross training is always beneficial.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Plyometrics are one of those things I always think I should do but have trouble doing consistently.
  • tristar365
    tristar365 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I included plyometrics last year when I was training for speed, and it really did help. I did one interval running session, and 1-2 plyometric circles per week and I PRed in all distances between 4-7k.

It really does help with explosiveness and speed for shorter distances.

Keywords: box jumpes, 360 jumps, jump squats, suicide jumps and so on.
  • tristar365
    tristar365 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ps: if you have problems with your ankles though, don't do it.
  • beatthebinge3464
    beatthebinge3464 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Huge fan of plyometrics
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    My coach just put plyometrics on my schedule starting next week. Tim to get a box for jumps.