Nov 20 Weekly Challenge: Thankful

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited November 2017 in Social Groups
Another Programming Note: Thanks for all your good recovery wishes and prayers! I am definitely on the mend but need a few months to fully heal. I’m pretty tired and am scaling back on my commitments. As such, I’m repeating our gratitude challenge from this summer. On the week that many of us will be celebrating Thanksgiving, it seems an appropriate challenge!

Theme: Greater Happiness Challenge
Challenge: Thankful

We all have blessings in our lives, gifts that are given to us freely that make our lives better and often easier than they would be otherwise. These gifts may be our health, a supportive spouse, our children and grandchildren, a trusted confidant, our unique talents and skills, access to good food and clean water, to name just a few. Our list of gifts and blessings is long and deeply personal. And each of us every day is given the gift of time...1440 minutes a day to accomplish what we need and want to do. Our time "bank accounts" get replenished every day, with new opportunities to make progress on the goals we have and the things we care about. To me, that is one of the greatest gifts of all.

Unfortunately, it's easy to overlook our many gifts and take them for granted. This week, let's spend some time reflecting on what we have been given. Many of us will be celebrating Thanksgiving this week, and even if you’re not, an extra dollop or two of gratitude is ALWAYS a good thing. Cultivating gratitude as a daily practice leads to greater happiness and a multitude of other health and life benefits, as you'll see from the resources below.

To benefit fully from the transformative power of cultivating gratitude, it's important that we take some time to reflect on how each gift has impacted our life and what it means to us. A brief momentary recognition (a positive thought) isn't enough...we need to take some time to appreciate our gifts. In fact, cultivating positive experiences throughout our day including gratitude and allowing them to "seep in" has been found to physically change the structure of our brains resulting in even greater happiness and a deeper sense of well-being. Optimism can become our "default" setting with practice! (See Rick Hanson's book, Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence for a great explanation of this process).

This Week's Challenge: Take a few minutes each day this week to reflect on something you are grateful for and how it's benefited your life. Who or what gives you abundant joy? Morning cups of coffee or tea can be a great opportunity for quiet reflection. And please share with us what you are grateful for!

While I hope that many of our weekly challenges become something you do as a daily practice, this challenge is particularly special to me and one I hope you adopt as a regular practice. It's been a game changer in my life! Cultivating gratitude does indeed lead to greater happiness and a deeper sense of well being.

Make it a great week!

...................................................................................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

The 31 Benefits of Gratitude You Didn’t Know About: How Gratitude Can Change Your Life
http://happierhuman.com/benefits-of-gratitude/

How Gratitude Leads to a Happier Life
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201511/how-gratitude-leads-happier-life

TED Talk: Want to be happy? Be grateful.
https://www.ted.com/talks/david_steindl_rast_want_to_be_happy_be_grateful

..........................................................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    jaenders06 wrote: »
    I see a lot of people on Facebook posting the “day of gratitude” stuff. I try to remind myself every day how fortunate I am. This past year has been very good to my husband and I. We have had our bumps in the road but with the help of my in laws, we were able to buy a home and get my stepson out of a bad neighborhood and in to a great one. We were then fortunate enough to be able to buy the house out from my in laws and sold our old place right away. I’m so thankful to have family that was willing to help while we got our ducks in a row because we were very concerned that we wouldn’t be able to do it and we wanted something better for the kiddo. I tell them all the time how grateful I am for their help.

This is beautiful @jaenders06. Reminding yourself daily how fortunate you are is a great practice. I’m happy you were able to settle in to a new home and relocate your stepson to a much better place. I’m sure your in laws were happy to help...especially since you don’t take their kindness for granted.

I think 2018 is going to be a great year for you and your family!
  • jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This is truly an amazing challenge. Since my Bariatric surgery on October 28, 2015, I have been extremely grateful for every single day.
    This surgery changed my life. I never forget to recognize the little things (such as seeing my elbows or fitting into a chair) to the greatest accomplishments (being able to move, stand and walk for long periods of time) and the greatest gift of all is getting my life back and learning who I am again.
    I will be forever grateful and thankful.
  • themedalist
    Options
    This year has been a whirlwind. Both of my parents are in declining health and living with me. Last year my parents were running their own business and telling me they were NOT going to a retirement lifestyle. It’s amazing how things can turn on a dime. My mom had a stroke and is nonverbal and paralyzed on her right side, my dad has Alzheimer’s and can’t walk anymore. Both are bed bound... yet I’m thankful that I am in s position to have sitters and Hospice to come in and help us. My sons are a huge source of strength, both physical and emotional. I’m grateful that I have a job in the medical field, so caregiving doesn’t overwhelm me. My boss and coworkers have been very understanding and supportive during this time. And most of all I’m thankful for The Almighty who has been my anchor during this storm. I have a picture that says: “Sometimes God calms the storm...sometimes He lets it rage and calms His child.” Friends, I’m living proof.

@sherrirollins4, thank you for sharing your story with us. It’s so true...things can change very quickly and the life that you thought you’d be living (and your parents thought they’d be living) takes a different course altogether. We never know what is in store for us. I think resilience is one of the most important qualities we can have and you clearly have the resilience to weather this storm. I’m glad you have resources in place to make caregiving a bit easier. That makes a huge difference.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I am just loving your expressions of gratitude, @SilverSheWolf55, @77tes, @Angief05 and @jlperiard. For supportive husbands, singing Mothers, and the opportunity to build a new and better life that a dramatic weight loss makes possible, these are just lovely, heartfelt tributes. Thanks for sharing!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    @themedalist , what a beautiful tribute to your parents. I love your phrase to your daughter: "I'm right behind you."

This week went totally off the rails. I spent Monday afternoon in the ER with my daughter. It turns out she had a huge abdominal mass which we were originally told was cancer. Fortunately, it was not. But she had surgery yesterday, and when the oncologist told us no cancer - wow was I grateful! So I'm spending Thanksgiving in my daughter's hospital room, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and overflowing with gratitude for all the medical professionals with their skills that have set her on the road to recovery. I've got plenty to be thankful for.
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @themedalist , what a beautiful tribute to your parents. I love your phrase to your daughter: "I'm right behind you."

This week went totally off the rails. I spent Monday afternoon in the ER with my daughter. It turns out she had a huge abdominal mass which we were originally told was cancer. Fortunately, it was not. But she had surgery yesterday, and when the oncologist told us no cancer - wow was I grateful! So I'm spending Thanksgiving in my daughter's hospital room, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and overflowing with gratitude for all the medical professionals with their skills that have set her on the road to recovery. I've got plenty to be thankful for.

That is wonderful news about your daughter! I know you are immensely grateful. May she have a quick recovery!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    77tes, what a blessing to hear those words “no cancer”! I can’t even imagine what you had been going through before hearing that. I bet p/b&j sandwiches were the most special Thanksgiving meal you’ve ever had! I’m grateful for your blessings, too. I’m so glad your daughter will be OK and you can breathe easy again.
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    I have been pondering this all week, of course my family and good health are at the forefront but I am so thankful to be living in this age, with all the technology we have and gadgets that make our lives so much easier, I feel blessed and overwhelmed by it all! Have loved reading your posts!
  • themedalist
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have been pondering this all week, of course my family and good health are at the forefront but I am so thankful to be living in this age, with all the technology we have and gadgets that make our lives so much easier, I feel blessed and overwhelmed by it all! Have loved reading your posts!

A great point! I enjoy this group so much and we could not have connected this way years ago.

I’m also grateful for the little things. I open my bedroom door in the morning and the first sensation is the smell of the freshly brewed coffee. Lovely! How can it not be a great day?
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Wow, I should have had the tissues nearby when I came here to catch up on the posts for this week. Thank you to everyone who wrote such amazing and heartfelt posts.

When I thinking about what to write, I found myself drifting back to how very grateful I was this past week for my dear husband, my four, now all grown up, children. My sweet daughters in law. Our precious grandchildren/ grand babies! And now another on the way!
    Some of my children are here in town, and others not so close by. And, yes, because of that I am also thankful for the technology that we have!

I was very grateful that this Thanksgiving we had three of our four children and their families/friends in town. Some years we have had only one or two.

:flowerforyou:
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    It seems I missed this one! I have really enjoyed reading all your lovely posts. It's hard to narrow it down, actually. I have so many things I am grateful for. I'm grateful for my health, coming up on 6 years post cancer treatment currently with no evidence of disease. I'm grateful for my husband who has been my biggest cheerleader and treats me like I belong on a pedestal....I still can't figure that one out! LOL I am so thankful for mine and my husband's kids, grandkids and great grandkids. I am thankful for a new job that came along just at the right time...a God wink? I think so! I'm grateful for hot water for my morning showers, programmable coffeemakers, books, this group, a roof over my head, my parents, my extended family...gosh. I think I am just grateful for life....grateful for every single new day. Nothing poetic or insightful like y'alls....but I truly can say that I thank God every morning for another day, for hot water and electricity, for the sound of birds in the morning, etc. I've really made an effort to pay more attention to the small blessings, because that's really what life is made of...all the small blessings we take for granted. I'm grateful for another day cancer-free. And I'm grateful for all of you. <3