First time Rank up from 9th gup to 8th gup? (White to Yellow)

Options
I have a few students ready to Rank up to their next belt. I know what I expect and have a 4th dan Black Belt (My Instructor) coming in to do the grading and I know what he expects. But what to do require/expect from kids ranging 8-12 years old going from White to Yellow? I think it will be interesting to see the different outlooks on this. They have not done any sparring yet so no sparring will be required.

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I am a tough grader, and I set high expectations from day 1... It is pretty rare that I will fail a white belt on their first test, but ... it has happened. It is my experience that once students understand the expectations, they will rise to meet them.

1 - Basics.

Blocks and strikes should have distinct chamber, execution through the target area, a hard end point. Hand should start reversed and turn over at the end for all, and reaction arm should end pulled in tight just above the belt for all single hand techniques.

Kicks should have all major sections clearly defined and executed in one smooth motion: Pivot, Posture, Chamber, Extension, Rechamber, Set down, and with no loss of balance. Must be performed above belt level, have a clear target, and strike with the appropriate part of the foot.

Stances (we have 2 stances taught at white belt, front and middle): stances should be solid, with correct knee bends, feet going in correct direction, upper body in correct posture.

2 - Form and 1-steps. For us, white belts must perform one form and five 1-steps.
    Correct technique (see above)
    Power
    Pace (not rushed, no big pauses)
    Focus
    Targeting (where are the eyes looking?)
    Flow (should not be rigid or robotic)

3 - Etiquette. They need to be able to follow all the formal pomp and circumstance that goes with testing, and display a basic knowledge of the art:
    Names of all moves they have learned
    How many moves in their form
    Name of the art
    Name of the style
    Basic commands
    Korean translation of all of the above

4 - Attitude
    This one is subjective, but very important. The student should be excited, respectful, and mentally ready for testing. They should display confidence without arrogance, and be an example of the tenets of our art: Integrity, Courtesy, Self-control, Perseverance, and Indomitable spirit.

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    At my school, we don't have belt testing to rank up at the lower levels. I'm not 100% sure at what point it transitions to actual testing, although I know it does at some point before black belt.

We have performance check week leading up to graduation. They have specific things that we need to have mastered before each rank up. The list is similar to yours above.

My boys and I passed our performance check last week and qualified to graduate to our blue belts last Saturday. Unfortunately, my youngest was sick and we ended up at the doctor's office instead. I'm hoping that tonight is the night, however my oldest was complaining of a sore throat this morning...so we'll see.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    At my school if they can behave long enough and do their best they get the belt. We have unfortunately low standards for the kids. For the adults too sometimes. The school I go to, you literally get out what you put in, because if you don't put in, no one will force you.
  • AnnaVictoriaIRL
    AnnaVictoriaIRL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Where I train, the children get marked most on attitude and technique: if they do their saju jirugi/saju magki well, say yessir/no sir, and get their theory right, they get a nice mark.

@Bianca42 so you gave continuous assessment? No actual grading exams? I like the sound of that system, less stressful!!XD
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think in our club the gradings are as much about attitude as ability generally, a kid who tries his hardest but just can't master a tricky technique will be graded better than the kid who can do everything but doesn't show the same focus and determination.
    I like the grading system, we have grades on a different day to normal class and you have to be invited to a grading, I think for the kids that makes it feel like a special occasion and ALL the kids I know have stepped up and pushed themselves harder than they thought they could on grading days. No-one in our club is allowed to grade unless sensei thinks they are ready, so it's really unusual for anyone (children or adults) to fail.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Personally (just my opinion and how I was taught) -

It isn't enough to be excited and respectful, and have a good attitude... it is a prerequisite, YES - but the performance under pressure is a close second.

I think some risk of failure at testing is important - it adds pressure to the performance, which will often separate those that are prepared from those that are not... and I think that testing is an important part of training! There is a lot to be learned on the test floor... Sometimes the most valuable lessons of all.

The adrenaline is real, on the test floor or "in the streets (whatever that means)", and learning to do what is required when the pressure is on, could make the difference between being safe and not being safe if the time ever comes to apply what we've learned. If a student has never faced the pressure and adrenaline and had to overcome it, they may buckle the first time it is applied... but if they have, they will have that assurance and know how to get through how to focus beyond it and do what is required.

I'm not saying my way is the best or only way... just that it's MY way. I'm not saying I fail students often, but it does happen... and that knowledge is at the back of every student's mind when they face the testing panel.