Nov 27 Weekly Challenge: Bean Counters

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited November 2017 in Social Groups
Theme: Healthy Eating
Challenge: Bean Counters

This week, let’s focus on adding some beans to our meals.

It’s hard to beat beans. A nutritional powerhouse, they’re an excellent source of B vitamins, iron, potassium, and fiber. They are also packed with cancer-fighting anti-oxidants, help regulate blood sugar, and can lower bad cholesterol. Versatile too! They work well as an appetizer, salad, side dish, main course, or even dessert. Plus, they’re budget friendly and an inexpensive source of protein. There’s a lot to like about these legumes!

I know I’ve fallen into a bean routine. I eat beans, but in the same ways over and over again. I like beans in vegetarian tacos, curries, hummus, and in salads, but that’s just scratching the surface. I can do better. This week, I’m going to make a hearty and freeze-able bean stew and make a batch of delicious Chili Lime Roasted Chickpeas (below), a favorite snack I haven’t made in a long time.

Do you have a favorite bean recipe to share with our group? Please do. Both of the recipes that I’ve posted below, two of my family’s favorites, came from MFP posts I found years ago. Please share your favorite bean recipes!

This Week’s Challenge:

Whether it’s a side dish or the star attraction, let’s all enjoy some beans this week!

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

11 Health Benefits of Beans:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/16/beans-health-benefits_n_1792504.html

55 Bean Recipes You'll Be Making All Year Long
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/family-meals/slideshow/bean-recipes

35 Bean Recipes for All Your Plant-Protein (and High-Fiber)
https://greatist.com/eat/healthy-bean-recipes

..................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    edited November 2017
    Options
    rptbflkckrj2.jpeg

8li7kztdsd3q.jpeg

m26jfl2c808d.jpeg

• themedalist
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Two of my family’s favorite recipes:

pou9m5k2g0nf.jpeg

Chili Lime Roasted Chickpeas:

http://willowbirdbaking.com/2010/09/02/snack-attack-2-chili-lime-roasted-chickpeas/

d2isc19ilzjd.jpeg

I am not much of a cook. This Black Bean and Chickpea Curry is easy to make and delicious.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/curried-chickpeas-and-black-beans-low-fat-73679

• themedalist
    Options
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    Oh awesome! Just this weekend I made a new recipe.
    Black bean brownies. I'm going to keep it in my recipe box as I have a few friends who are either celiac or gluten free. This will be perfect.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/161701/black-bean-brownies/
    It was really simple to make plus my husband, a meat and potatoes guy, actually enjoyed it! Great chocolate taste just don't expect old fashioned brownies.

@bcTRAI, I have been wanting to try black bean brownies. Thanks for the link!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Awesome challenge. I have a chickpea, blue cheese and cucumber salad in my fridge for lunch today. Black beans, corn and avocado salad is another favorite. I have made black bean patties and they did not turn out too good.

@77tes please do share the soup recipe. I love soup.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Awesome challenge. I have a chickpea, blue cheese and cucumber salad in my fridge for lunch today. Black beans, corn and avocado salad is another favorite. I have made black bean patties and they did not turn out too good.

@77tes please do share the soup recipe. I love soup.

Wow, you are all over this challenge, @prgirl39mfp!

Bean burgers can be tricky to get the consistency right. Too moist and they fall apart, too dry and they’re not very appetizing. I’m thinking one of my winter projects might be to experiment with some bean burger recipes. I did this a few years ago with some shredded beets I had from my summer CSA. I tried about five different beet burger recipes and a couple my family really liked. I think I need to do that with beans.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    Oh and here is my Chili Recipe

Kathy’s 15 Bean Chili
    1 pound beans of your choice – (I use a 15 bean mix)
    Soak Beans overnight.
    Drain Beans. Add water to cover 1” above beans, 1 whole onion, 1 whole clove garlic, 1 tsp. oregano.
    Bring to boil. Simmer 1 hour. Add 1 tsp salt.
    Simmer 1 hour more. Add sauce
    Sauce:
    1 ½ lbs ground beef 4 whole cloves
    1 red onion 3 T. Chili Powder
    3 green onions 1 T. oregano
    1 green bell pepper 3 pounds tomato sauce
    5 cloves garlic 2 tsp. salt
    3 bay leaves ground pepper to taste

Brown meat with onion and garlic. Add rest of ingredients. Add to beans. Simmer at least 1 hour more.

• themedalist
    Options
    Thank you,@77tes, for these recipes!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recipes
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @77tes, thank you for the recipes. I am not creative at all when it comes to cooking, but I can follow a recipe :laugh:. I shall try both of these recipes this winter.

I really enjoyed the graphics, thank you!

I often add beans to my salads or as a side to a meal. I do make a chili for the meat eaters in the family that they like, but I shall try the 15 Bean Chili to change things up for them.

Vegetarian refried beans, as well as cans of various other kinds of beans always have a permanent place in the pantry. Sometimes that place is very permanent when I get out of the habit of adding beans :o . This week was a good reminder to use beans more.

I do not think that my DH would appreciate :noway: Black Bean Brownies :grumble: ...at all LOL :p .

:flowerforyou:
  • bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I do not think that my DH would appreciate :noway: Black Bean Brownies :grumble:

You really can't tell there are beans at all. My meat and potatoes hubby really liked them. Super easy too. Everything goes in a blender and gets pureed before it goes in the oven. Just call them squares not brownies and don't mention beans.

Refried beans
    I make my own in a crock pot, no added fat, and portion the recipe out in containers in the freezer. Plus you can adjust spices to your liking. ;)
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/allrecipes.com/recipe/70312/refried-beans-without-the-refry/amp/
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone! Has given me some great ideas, our lidl supermarket does not stock dried beans but will stock up when I go to Morrisons, I have added canned butter beans to butternut squash curry, had frozen broad beans and the good ole baked beans this week, have stocked up on canned chick peas to make hummous, thank you so much for the recipes and ideas!!!
  • themedalist
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Well done everyone! Has given me some great ideas, our lidl supermarket does not stock dried beans but will stock up when I go to Morrisons, I have added canned butter beans to butternut squash curry, had frozen broad beans and the good ole baked beans this week, have stocked up on canned chick peas to make hummous, thank you so much for the recipes and ideas!!!

I’ve gotten some great new ideas, too. Thanks everyone for posting ideas and recipes. I’m going to try the black bean brownies very soon.