DECimate your workout

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    well, that was . . . unimpressive enough to make me damn glad i'm not the person who paid for it.

sports doc diagnosed a 'tendinopathy' in both the glute med and the 'hamstring' (-.- which one, genius?) after only the most basic of the same strength and mobility checks i've been through nine or ten times before in the hands of much lesser people. passive internal rotation, passive external rotation, resist while abducted, resist pressure against the hamstrings, one-legged bridges, and diagnose. not even a trendlenthing test. aaand all the stuff about if it don't hurts then you must not do it. he said he's 'fine with you doing' SEATED upper-body work for two months, but supposedly i must not do any of the anything that makes it flare up. and he gave me two sheets of oh gee, guess what . . . clamshells and other hamstring/glute medius drills. do all of this and nothing but this for two months and go back.

like hell. i don't think i've gotten to full attitude yet, but i've gotten to enough of it to go straight from there to the gym, where i did his drills, sure. but then i got up and did rows. and then i did deadlifts. so there.

my attitude will wear off and for all i know it's going to be something as simple as this after all. wouldn't be the first time i pitched a piss-fit about how i should get some kind of special-case special treatment, and then it turned out it was as simple as that. but he did give me two rather interesting things that i've never heard of before. instead of bridges, i get to just hook my heels over a raised surface of some kind and lift up that way. and he gave me a baby-steps version of the glute-ham raise, which he called a 'nordic fall'. so i'm kind of looking forward to both of those.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry your sports doc experience went no better than my junk with my ankle is going. There is just something that baffles me about the whole disconnect with “clearly something wrong here” to “i don’t see anything wrong”which usually is accompanied by not particularly looking for something wrong. ... but even if there’s not something showing up on imagery wrong- if there is a noticible dysfunction what is so hard about them at least pretending to do something constructive to fix it??? Like if the dang people at least pretended to be trying to fix something you and I would probably both have less discontentment which would make us less likely to do something dumb.

Today was a deadlift day. Apologize in advance because apple decided to update my iPad, and I am NOT a fan and so my typing is not going so well. So between that and laziness detail may just not exist.

Pull-ups- 5 sets,8-15 reps 60sec rest, using bands as needed to get reps.
    I mostly learned here that setups you are used to are important.... struggled to get a set up that worked, once I did, it was different enough had to go back to foot in band instead of knee. Also I learned it apparently matters to me WHICH foot is in the band.

Lat pull downs

Dumbbell row

Deadlifts 8reps, 75 sec rest, 4 sets, start at 135, and then amwap
    135, 3x155 I really wanted to go up strength wise, but my grip just wasn’t there. I don’t know if it was me, or if the knurling was different, but I actually lost grip on the last set, and that shouldn’t be happening at that weight.

Barbell curls

Dumbbell oblique crunches. Once again strength wise I was ok using heavier weight, but grip wise I was not. Once again grip failed on the last set.

I think dropping at a weight you know you can lift strength wise is possibly more frustrating than not getting a lift done because it’s all over too heavy. SO, grrr
  • canadianlbs
    edited December 2017
    Options
    i had some random guy i've never seen before (didn't like him either) make a big deal about me and my rows. it was like what i think running a marathon must be like: sidewalk lined with this one clapping, cheering supporter i'd never seen in my life.

and if that wasn't weird enough, there's the person he was a dead ringer for. i don't expect many north americans have come across johnny vegas, but . . . yeah. i'm just saying he's worth looking up, just so you can insert him into this scenario i'm sharing with you.

every time i replay the guy in my head, my imagination looks for the plastic cup of draft beer in the hand he doesn't have in the air in a fist while he goes 'STRONG!'
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Logging my workout from 12/1 finally.

Trying to get back into a consistent SL regime just in time for the disruptive holidays.

Squats 1x5 45, 1x5 65, 5x5 85
    OH 5x5 50
    DL 1x5 95, 1x5 115, 1x5 135
    3 chin-ups.
  • canadianlbs
    edited December 2017
    Options
    you guys are going to get so tired of me and my self-absorbed little rehab reports.

hamstrings have doms. and the tendons have mostly been quiet touch wood, so YAY. could be the deadlifts that i defiantly did, or the rows. but i choose to credit them to the bridges and falls. for the abduction and planks and so forth, well meh. i don't feel like i'm locating that glute med on the left, but you can't say i'm not trying to. i could just be building hell out of my tfl or glute min or something, but i'll keep at it.

the falls are the most interesting just because they're so you're-kidding-me. you're doing a glute-ham raise, basically. except that's way too hardcore to begin with, so you do them eccentric style, just like when you set out to work your way up to a standard pullup. except they are wayyyyyyyyyy harder to control than any kind of eccentric pullup. i can't see how doing 3x8 face flops twice a day is going to help very much, though. so for now i'm just settling for taking myself to the edge of the tipping point, holding there for a couple of seconds, and then coming back up. i'm hoping my range will improve over time until i am better able to control the true 'fall' part of it.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Bench for dayyys!!! Except they reupholstered my favorite bench (read post from about a week ago, lol) and now the leather is kind of slippery. I was wearing a dry fit type of shirt, which is also slippy. And my neck still hurts so it's hard to hold my shoulder blades pinched. So my arch was laughable at best today and I kept getting lopsided. Still felt pretty strong, though, so I'm not mad at it :)

Bench press 45x8, 65x5, 75x3, 85x3, 95x3, 107.5x8 (? I'm drawing a blank, actually. was it 8, or 9? I don't have my log book with me right now lol). Then 85x13 for an amrap :)

it was superset with bulgarian split squats, bwx10, 10lbsx10 (goblet), 20x10 (goblet), 20x10 (front rack offset)

Then pendlay rows
    45x8, 65x5, 75x4, 80x3, 92.5x3, 102.5x7, 80x12 (?)
    superset with 10 reps of sumo deadlifts, 20lbs more than work sets on rows (except the last round I didn't do 'em)

10, 8, 6, 4, 2 for time
    - knees to bows
    - burpee to target

This time i had a tier, and i finished in 6:35 or so. Still sucks xD

Stretched and worked my neck a bit. I think I need some yoga tomorrow...
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    Today, I had no enthusiasm. So I thought about doing nothing.... and then I decided my motivation level was partially do the fact my squat sheet looked downright evil and looked a whole lot like “fk that.”

And since I had eaten ALLLLL the foods today, I made a deal with myself that if I went, I would just do an actual stronglifts workout at reasonable weights, and pretend squat day doesn’t exist yet.

And then all the racks were taken, so I started with bench .... and this is where I got distracted... 10@45, 5@75, 5x5@100. And that felt like REALLY good. So I started into a 5x5@105, just to see how far I could get, and I got the whole thing. I really wanted to try 110, but no spotter, and no safety rack.... so I ended on that high.

Then I went to squat, because one rack was open, and these felt downright awful. So very good thing I derailed actual plan for the day or else I would have hated my life. I found out yet another reason why I should dislike this travel gym. Only one cage should I really squat in. The other one the safeties don’t go low enough for true *kitten* to grass. My warm up weights, where my depth is best, bar would rest on the safeties at the lowest setting.... and I know dang well I’m not getting all that low.

10@45, 5@65, 5@85... here I really thought about a true cop out and leaving this be my working weight. But I cowgirled up and did 5x5@95 a time least. These didn’t feel great... but felt better than any set of squats I’ve done for a while.... but I am seeing a redevelopment of one of the issues that caused trainer to deconstruct squats last week... leaning way far forward again. I see some quality time with a wall and squat therapy in my future.

And ... by this point I somehow had used up an hour, and although I didn’t quite do an actual stronglifts workout, I did double on bench, and so I let myself go back to hotel for something hot tub time.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Another easy one. Was supposed to do it yesterday but didn't feel like leaving the apartment. Meet is Saturday and weigh-in is tomorrow morning.

squat 1x3 @ 108, 2x3 @ 129, 3x2 @ 155
    bench 1x3 @ 65, 2x3 @ 75, 3x2 @ 88
    sauna for 20 minutes roughly

And I've learned it's hard to get in calories on liquids but staying minimal carb. Pesky water cut. Plus side, after weigh in can eat whatever. mmmm carbs
  • krokador
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    10@45, 5@65, 5@85... here I really thought about a true cop out and leaving this be my working weight. But I cowgirled up and did 5x5@95 a time least. These didn’t feel great... but felt better than any set of squats I’ve done for a while.... but I am seeing a redevelopment of one of the issues that caused trainer to deconstruct squats last week... leaning way far forward again. I see some quality time with a wall and squat therapy in my future.

Your trainer may have been on to something with the safety bar squats if you have an issue with forward lean. Perhaps you could try switching to front squats for a while. You'll use less weight (less evil-looking) but you'll build the much-needed upper back strength required to stay upright. Good morning squats make my SI joint cry (even just seeing someone do them), so I try to avoid them like the plague now. It took a while for me to get to a point where I could handle heavy weight without folding over. Lotsa core work (which you've been doing!) and all the form tweaks.

I... am going to get dressed and do some kind of yoga workout here shortly. I swear!

• hanlonsk
    Options
    In my past corrective endeavors, my forward lean seems to be caused more by some sort of mobility issues than a strength issue. Because I imagine from what I saw last night I wouldn’t be able to do an air squat without the forward lean. And if I focus on it, it gets better... so then I stop focusing on it.
    So, I need to spend some of my free time doing air squats facing a wall. And work my way in, until my range of motion allows for upright again. I don’t know which friend called it squat therapy once, but lacking a better name, that is what it became.

Also, as I’m typing this, I’m realizing squat deconstruct day was also the day he suggested I look into romwod or mobilitywod... hmmmmm I am noticing a pattern here. Oops

Also, one day maybe I should ask trainer about front squats.... I am yet to find a way to do them that doesn’t hurt my arms/wrists AND is anywhere near stable. Have I mentioned flexibility is not one of my traits? Like not even a weak trait, like I don’t possess that trait. Yes, above mentioned romwod stuff is on the Christmas list.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I struggle with learning firward too much on squats too. Maybe I need to start doing front squats.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Squats
    10x45 lb
    Then I tried a set of front squats wirh just the bar just to see what they felt like.
    Then back to my back squats. 5x5 @ 115 lbs

Bench
    10x 45 lbs paused
    5x5 @85 lbs

1 hour power yoga

Rows
    5x5 @75 lbs

I was able to get one pull up with the smallest band today. I tried to do a pull up without any assistance but only got about halfway up.
  • canadianlbs
    edited December 2017
    Options
    trainer day. i got the benching done and some very light deadlifts - 75 pounds. but no working sets for deadlifts, because i was too busy making sure that i got my rows in and that made me run out of time.

i did do the rows at 75, just because that was the weight on the bar. and got a form check from mr t which might explain how come i havent' been feeling like i was 'working' my rows - i wasn't. according to him i was using my back instead of my lats, so duh. yeah, that would explain that. apparently the massage kid who form-checked my glute bridges today said i was also using my back to stabilize there (instead of my abs). so clearly i must have a pretty strong back. and the abs of the pillsbury dough boy, i guess.

the benches were interesting. i've had that vulnerability at the front of my left shoulder again recently, but the bizarre thing is: the cue that seems to take it away has nothing to do with my shoulder. it's about checking before i begin every rep, to make sure i'm really solid through my hips and i have my knees 'out' (not really out like a frog, but definitely feeling a little that way. i kind of 'hunh!' into them and turn everything on, make sure i have a really un-rockable tripod type thing going on. and then i undo my lockout and start on the rep.

when i do that at the start, the shoulder catch goes away. it's weird, but i'll take it.
  • krokador
    Options
    Only 2 weeks in and I'm starting to really enjoy myself on Squaturday :)

Can't jump because of my neck, and I know oly lifts from the ground can be a bit too much as well, however this week I decided to try out pairing my squats with hang power snatches focusing on power & technique. And it worked out really well!

barbell squat 45x5/5, 65x5, 85x5, 105x3, 115x3, 132.5x3, 147.5x9, 115x13 )that was painful O.o)

paired with snatch warm-up @35, deconstructed full snatches @55, then 5 hang power @ 55, and for work sets 65 x 4/5/3/4 (3-5 reps, stop as soon as i started to muscle the weight up. Also made sure to control the weight on the way down from overhead, so that probably cut my later sets a bit short simply due to fatigue).

A woman probably a bit older than I am whom I'd seen squatting a considerable amount of weight (like 100lbs +, that's rare in my gym for a girl) as I walked in went out of her way after my set of 9 to tell me my oly lifts looked really good! I said thanks and told her I'd been working on them for like, 2-3 years, told her her squats looked pretty decent too, and we went on to do our own thing with this kind of mutual "strong women" feel where we'd sometimes cross paths and nod and smile like "keep up the good work!". It was the first time this happened. Normally it's older men that notice my form and stuff XD I think I should credit that 13th rep at 115 to her, cuz it gave me that extra little push I needed to just get back at it even though my legs were jell-o.

Then moved on to low incline DB press and rows. I really like the feel of those on my chest and lets. It's like the perfect superset! 25x15, 30x12, 30x10/11 (fatiiigue) and 30x12 + a measly 5 reps on the left side alone to try and help it catch up to my right side.

And then the rower workout from hell:
    4 rounds
    - 3 min max cal rower (39, 38, 39, 25)
    - 1 min max KB swing @20kg (~45lbs) (32, 29, 25, 32)
    - 1 min max lunge jumps (15, 15, 13, 12)
    - 1 min rest

I went pretty steady on the first 3 rounds, then the rower kind of broke while I was sitting on it and I probably only rowed 2 minutes of the 3 there, and it threw me a bit off for the rest and I just sort of checked out before the lunge jumps were over. Not happy about that, nor about the fact that chalk + cardio still makes my nasal passages cry their life away, but I'll take the work I did get in and build up on that. My no-quit muscle needs a bit of work, is all.

And now I have a plan and a deadline and I'm going to stop with the excuses to stay fluffy: I have an online powerlifting meet in mid january, and then the crossfit open starts on Feb 22nd. I'm not going to register for the open this year because I may still modify some of the scaled workouts depending on how my injuries are going and how confident I feel with box jumps, but I will do the workouts and see where I would place and that alone I think is enough to convince me to lose some weight and build up that engine a bit so I can get through burpees without dying (let's face it, it's not crossfit if there are no burpees xD). So I got about 10 weeks to shed about 10lbs. New year resolution starts NOW!

Boom :)
  • krokador
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    In my past corrective endeavors, my forward lean seems to be caused more by some sort of mobility issues than a strength issue. Because I imagine from what I saw last night I wouldn’t be able to do an air squat without the forward lean. And if I focus on it, it gets better... so then I stop focusing on it.
    So, I need to spend some of my free time doing air squats facing a wall. And work my way in, until my range of motion allows for upright again. I don’t know which friend called it squat therapy once, but lacking a better name, that is what it became.

Also, as I’m typing this, I’m realizing squat deconstruct day was also the day he suggested I look into romwod or mobilitywod... hmmmmm I am noticing a pattern here. Oops

Also, one day maybe I should ask trainer about front squats.... I am yet to find a way to do them that doesn’t hurt my arms/wrists AND is anywhere near stable. Have I mentioned flexibility is not one of my traits? Like not even a weak trait, like I don’t possess that trait. Yes, above mentioned romwod stuff is on the Christmas list.

Improper bracing and lack of core/upper body stability will also translate to a forward lean in the squat. Forcing yourself to get into the position also indirectly puts those muscles to work to a degree. You will also lean a lot more forward without a bar on your back purely from the fact that you don't have a counter balance (that is why lightly weighted pistols are actually a bit easier to perform from a balance perspective).

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that mobility is just one part of the puzzle. So don't beat yourself up too much over any of it. Slow steady progress in all areas is what works the best, IMO.

You can try to *kitten* it with a squat with a light load in front of you (kb or db) and see how low you can go/how far forward you fold doing that. You should be able to get low easier than just bodyweight (counter balance element), and unless your upper back is really weak, you should stay quite upright. You can then use it as a warm-up of sorts by staying in the hole holding that weight for 20-30s and bouncing around a bit/pushing your knees out with your elbows. Try to keep the upper back engaged the entire time. Core work + mobility = win! ;)

As for the front squat, did I ever suggest the lifting straps alternative to you? You put them on the bar instead of your wrists, then rack the bar and grab them as close as your mobility will allow. It's not *quite* as stable as the olympic grip, but technically, you should also be able to squat the bar without hands entirely if you have the proper position on your front delts (look up zombie squat!), so it really just serves as a safety.

Otherwise, until xmas comes you can always check out Joe defranco's agile 8/ limber 11. They're both fairly comprehensive lower body mobility routine and are available for free! https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/limber-11-the-only-lower-body-warm-up-youll-ever-need.html

• DawnEmbers
    Options
    *reposts in correct month*

Meet went fairly well. Everyone was nice and encouraging. Chatted with some of the other women during warmups and such. Squats were slow but I'm always slow on squats. I ended up not getting as much as I did in the gym but this time I didn't fail on the third set of squats, and it's still better than my first meet. Bench went okay. Started a bit light so did a jump then 121 felt pretty decent so could have just done 126 which was the gym PR too but decided to just go for it and tried 130, which I didn't get. Was the only fail of the day though for me. Bench is still weak and didn't improve much so will need to work on that. Deadlift was good. Finally achieved the goal of 2xbw at last.

(conversions using an USA powerlifting chart I found online)

Meet Attempts/Results

squat
    92.5/203.9
    95/205.1
    100/220.5

bench
    47.5/104.7
    55/121.3
    50/132.3 - fail

deadlift
    120/264.6
    125/275.6
    127.5/281.1 PR

Didn't place. Harder for me in the 148 weight class. Need to get back down to 132 for the next meet and work on that bench. Maybe I should get a slingshot. *ponders*
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »

lol.

i had some burn on saturday which i chose to blame on the drills, not the *cough* deadlifts and bench press which the doctor had *cough* told me that i shouldn't do. so a little bit sloppy with adherence yesterday since i also spent most of the day with my dad. and i love him dearly and don't blame him for the state of his house, but i am NOT getting down on that floor of his for anything. i think i did most of one or two circuits when i got home but tbh i was not feeling it psychologically.

the burn was much less this morning when i woke up, so i've been better about them today. added deadbug holds into the loop just because it's a fact that i've completely mislaid my abs recently. apparently i can't engage them for bridges at all, not exactly because they're not there but my brain simply can't work out how. so i'm trying to use the deadbugs to find them before i bridge up. the side-lying abductions are something; most of the time i can't feel myself using glute med when i am, and the rest of the time i can feel it for sure by the way that it burns. that's about all i've got for you guys on what a tendon issue feels like: it burns.

the guy did warn me that there is a rehab path 'but it will hurt'. so what i neglected to ask him is how to tell the difference between the kind of hurt he meant there, and the non-healthy kind. because honest, if it was just a matter of hurting myself to get well, i wouldn't have this problem here in the first place.
  • krokador
    Options
    Mondeads! The full-on zombie experience! (was not 100% there today, lol)

Deadlift 45x8, 95x5, 115x5, 135x3, 150x3, 172.5x3, 192.5x11, 155x14
    OHP 35x8, 45x5, 55x3, 60x3, 67.5x3, 77.5x7, 70x8

I felt really lousy on that last set of OHP, like "wtf, I did like 13 reps last week how... oh" I had loaded an extra 5 on each side -_-'

10 min AMRAP
    - Barbell Front Squats x6-8 @45lbs + 10lbs each round
    - DB Renegade drag & row x8-12 (total) @25lbsbegone -

I made it through 8 reps up to 75, then 6 @85lbs, and got 10/8/10/8/8 on the RRs

Then I took this video, because I wanted to prove I wasn't just typing out my butt with the zombie squats, haha (no seriously, wtf is up with those bags under my eyes? It's no wonder I didn't feel awesome xD)

Finished up with machine-assisted pulls ups and dips,
    -100lbs x6/8, 6/7, 6/6 and -130lbs x9/12
  • krokador
    Options

Meet went fairly well. [...]

Awesome job! And I have to admit it makes me feel a little better about my lack of bench progress the past few years when someone beats me hard on squats and deadlift, but I bench more xD (because that is such a useful skill, right? :P) No seriously, those are some pretty awesome number for 148lbs.

Although hey, that's got me thinking... If I was 50lbs lighter, would I actually be able to squat 50lbs more? Since I'm like, already moving that weight, kind of? It's all in my butt, really, so it's definitely loaded into the squat. Ha! Well, maybe I should lose some weight and see if i can squat heavier ;p
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    krokador wrote: »

Meet went fairly well. [...]

Awesome job! And I have to admit it makes me feel a little better about my lack of bench progress the past few years when someone beats me hard on squats and deadlift, but I bench more xD (because that is such a useful skill, right? :P) No seriously, those are some pretty awesome number for 148lbs.

Although hey, that's got me thinking... If I was 50lbs lighter, would I actually be able to squat 50lbs more? Since I'm like, already moving that weight, kind of? It's all in my butt, really, so it's definitely loaded into the squat. Ha! Well, maybe I should lose some weight and see if i can squat heavier ;p

Thanks. Though my weigh in was 135, so 148 was the weight class. ;-)

Now I can try for a 300 lb deadlift for 2018. Always fun to set new goals. And maybe get back to my preferred 132 weight class.