Dec 4 Weekly Challenge: Stress Less

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited December 2017 in Social Groups
Theme: Healthy Practices
Challenge: Stress Less

Do you feel you manage your stress pretty well or does stress manage you?

This week, let’s work on reducing our stress. Having a set of stress-busting tools we can reach for when needed is one of healthiest habits we can establish. It’s just as important as a healthy diet or regular exercise. If left unchecked, chronic stress can affect our brains, heart, stomach, pancreas, bones, skin, and reproductive systems. Chronic stress can cause a multitude of health problems, but we can also do something about it. Stress in our lives is inevitable, but its damaging impacts are not.

You may already have a decent set of tools in your stress reduction toolbox. If so, that’s great! I think I manage my stress pretty well by taking frequent short walking breaks throughout the day. Even a two minute walk makes a difference.

But if you know you aren’t managing the stress in your life, if it feels all consuming and debilitating and you don’t even know where to start, I hope this week is a turning point for you. Please take a look at the suggested resources. More than just a bulleted list of ways to cope with stress, these resources will give you a framework for thinking about your stressors and then taking steps to reduce them.

One of the perspectives I’ve gained this week is the difference between worrying about something and caring about it. “Worrying is an attempt to exert control over the future by thinking about it,” whereas caring is taking action.“ When we are caring for someone or something, we do the things that support or advance the best interests of the person or thing that we care about.” Worrying is not taking action. Worrying creates stress. Caring about someone or something puts the focus on the concrete actions you can take and it’s these actions that will reduce your stress.

This Week’s Challenge:

If your stress is generally under control, please tell us how you manage it. What do you do? And why not test drive a few new stress reducers this week and just see how it goes? It never hurts to add a few more tools to your toolbox.

But if stress is overwhelming you or you don’t think you’re managing your stressors well, take a look at the resources below and then identify a few ways to reduce your stress. It takes practice and patience, but you can manage your stress and keep it from damaging your health.

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Using Self-Help Techniques for Dealing with Stress
https://www.helpguide.org/articles/stress/stress-management.htm

10 Practical Ways to Handle Stress
https://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2011/07/11/10-practical-ways-to-handle-stress/

The quotation about worrying is from Chad Lejeune’s book, The Worry Trap: How to Free Yourself from Worry and Anxiety Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy

..................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    edited December 2017
    Options
    8yxx50hl0lun.jpeg

1gymg6rb2qvv.jpeg
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Great post. This is a tough topic for me. I have anxieties, am a realist and over thinker. I have managed to control most of my symptoms going to therapy, which helped me understand myself and embrace change where I need to change. Exercise is key to keep my anxiety in check. When I don't exercise my mind goes wild.

Thanks to a friend I started minimalism and mindfulness to provide a calmer way of decision making on a day to day basis. Mindful eating, shopping, sleeping, talking, etc. It is a lot of work but the benefits are humongous. I have tried meditation and yoga but those do not work for me at all. I love Heavy Metal music and it does calm me down when I am really angry.

When you are a realist positive thinking really does not help. I can only see the positive in the Now but in the future it gets blurry, so I believe for me what really works if staying focused on what I can control, practice gratefulness and visualize a good outcome or good things to come.
  • SilverSheWolf55
    SilverSheWolf55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I really need this! Stress is my middle name. :( I seem to let even the little things stress me out. I feel anxious and angry all the time...which leads to stress. I know it's bad for both my mental and physical health, but there are times I just really "come undone".

I have been listening to calming music and taking deep breaths whenever I remember. I keep saying I am going to start yoga, but that never happens. I am too lazy in the morning and too tired when I get home from work. :|

I love that you shared these suggestions for us to look in to. I am definitely going to give some of them a try. I do walk twice a day, and although it helps at the time.....I have to return to my job at a desk, sitting until the next "break". Oh well, it is what it is. I NEED to get a better attitude towards life in general. Thank you for always sharing a wonderful topic. :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    I really liked the difference between worrying and caring. That makes an excellent point.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Since stress is our focus this week, I wanted to include a different perspective. The view that stress is inherently bad for our health and should be avoided isn’t universally held. Stanford researcher Kelly McGonigal and others believe that stress is only harmful if we believe that it will harm our health. It’s our beliefs about stress that determine if it negatively impacts our bodies.

I skimmed her book this week, The Upside of Stress, and I think there’s a lot of merit to her perspective. She isn’t advocating that we purposefully seek out more stress in our lives, but rather view stress differently. Stress can be a catalyst that opens new doors for us and allows us to grow in exciting new ways.

Here’s her Ted talk on how to make stress your friend:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RcGyVTAoXEU
  • bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @themedalist Hey, how's your recovery coming along? Let me know when you do try the brownies. One of the ways I found to make it easier to talk in front of groups of people was to simply pretend I could do it.
    @mxchana I agree, that was a surprise to me after I'd been going to the gym for about 3 months. I found I felt happier as well.

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    @themedalist , thanks for sharing your story of overcoming the fear of public speaking. As a communication teacher, I face this every semester, and I'm always happy when students make that leap to confidence to speak up. :)
  • themedalist
    Options
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    @themedalist Hey, how's your recovery coming along? Let me know when you do try the brownies. One of the ways I found to make it easier to talk in front of groups of people was to simply pretend I could do it.
    @mxchana I agree, that was a surprise to me after I'd been going to the gym for about 3 months. I found I felt happier as well.

Thanks for asking, @bcTRAI. My recovery is moving along, a few setbacks here and there but just as with weight loss, healing from surgery isn’t linear. I am very happy to have both surgeries behind me. I had the same anesthesiologist for both surgeries and she remembered me from my July hip replacement. If your anesthesiologist remembers you, you’re spending too much time in the OR. :)

I’m looking forward to making the black bean brownies soon. Unfortunately, my food processor is tucked away in the back of the cabinet. I can’t get it myself without breaking the lifting and reaching restrictions I’m under right now. I keep forgetting to ask for help.

I also rely on exercise to keep my stress in check. We are meant to move!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    I love this post. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

Some instances when I am very stressed out I feel I function better. The goal is to distress by finishing the task at hand and the end result gives me a high, cannot explain it. A sense of completion. Is when I have nothing to do, that my mind runs wild and my thoughts stress me out and this to me is the negative stress, the one that worries me, makes me overthink and eat more.
  • bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    @themedalist I actually use a blender like the type Orange Julius uses or the kind our parents used for milkshakes. You know... before food processors existed. :D I would think a food processor would work just as well I just dislike cleaning all the bits afterward if I don't need to.
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    I began meditation first thing in the mornings about a month ago, it really does help set my mind for the day, exercise is extremely important to me, I love Leslie Sansone, and I try to go for a walk after work before dinner although not so nice in the dark on these winter nights, on the days I have not been able to do these things I find I do feel more stressy, thank you Denise and everyone, another eye opener!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I began meditation first thing in the mornings about a month ago, it really does help set my mind for the day, exercise is extremely important to me, I love Leslie Sansone, and I try to go for a walk after work before dinner although not so nice in the dark on these winter nights, on the days I have not been able to do these things I find I do feel more stressy, thank you Denise and everyone, another eye opener!

I think mediation is a great way to start the day. Start the day with a calm mind and body. And walking does wonders!
  • themedalist
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Wow, @OConnell5483, 2017 has been quite the year for you! I’m so happy to hear that you’ve made progress on so many fronts this year and that you are happier and less stressed as a result. And your new job sounds like a great fit for your new life! Being free of panic attacks and finding peace and gratitude is wonderful!

I am also drawn to minimalism. The website, No Sidebar, has a free weekly newsletter. It’s very interesting.

And yes, you certainly have taken your life back!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Good for you @OConnell5483 !!!