Dec 11 Weekly Challenge: Random Acts of Kindness

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member

Theme: Greater Happiness
Challenge: Random Acts of Kindness

I always enjoy putting together our weekly challenges. I enjoy reading up on the topics and finding resources that I think will be helpful to you. I like learning more about almost anything.

I’ve especially enjoyed assembling this week’s challenge — Random Acts of Kindness. The stories of people doing thoughtful, caring acts simply because they felt it was the right thing to do are heartwarming and uplifting. And they’ve motivated me to do my own random acts. I’ve got lots of ideas percolating!

Random acts of kindness don’t have to be complicated, nor cost any money. Simple gestures are always appreciated. And these thoughtful acts are in perfect keeping with the holiday season.

This Week’s Challenge:

Look for opportunities over the next two weeks to do your own random acts of kindness. The images below have lots of ideas. Please share your random acts with us, if you are so inclined.

If you’ve received a random act of kindness in the past that just made your day, please share that too. And if you had an opportunity to do a random act for someone else that was memorable to you, please share that as well. We can’t have too many great stories!

Just a reminder that this is our last weekly challenge for 2017. Recognizing this is an especially busy time of year, I thought it made sense to make this a two week challenge. I will post the January schedule of events the last week of December.

H ave a peaceful and joyful holiday season!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

24 Stories About the Touching Kindness of Strangers That’ll Make You Tear Up:
https://www.rd.com/true-stories/inspiring/kindness-strangers/

As You Scroll Through These 47 Photos, Something Will Become Very Clear. And Everyone Should See It.
http://boredomtherapy.com/random-acts-of-kindness/

..................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    mdixg73rmzzz.jpeg

swi8y63rb4f7.jpeg

• themedalist
    Options
    Paying for that student’s meal was a lovely thing to do, @SilverSheWolf55. I know she appreciated it, especially on Thanksgiving. And what a surprise to come to work and see a Wolf Calendar on your chair! I’m sure that made your day.

Thanks for sharing these Random Acts of Kindness!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Love this challenge. With all that is going on in the world, we could sure use some kindness. Great gesture @SilverSheWolf55 !!! I bet you made her day.

This week I went to a grocery store and returned some items and got some cash back. So I walked towards the front of the store and gave it to a homeless lady that always stands there asking for money. I was there chatting with her for like 15 minutes. I had not seen her in a while and I was happy to see her. It turned out she had been sick and since the weather took a turn for the cold here in FL, she did not want to get worst so she stayed in camp.

This Friday I plan on getting gift cards for the garbage collectors that come to my community. I have never done it before, but since I do not buy presents for family members, I figured I spend some money on those people who make where I live a better place.

I am always saying "Yes" to donate a dollar to charities at the cash register..hahah Funny it is here on your post Denise. Lots of great ideas! Thanks for ending the year on a positive note!
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    This morning I did a random act of kindness and didn't actually realize til I'd done it. I was at the McDonald's drive-thru and I felt a prompting in my spirit to pay for the vehicle behind me. So I did. It felt good, and then as I drove away, I realized I'd met this weeks challenge. Bonus!

@SilverSheWolf55 and @prgirl39mfp - you both have beautiful hearts! Thank you @themedalist for the challenge! Merry Christmas to all!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I love this challenge! perfect way to end out the year. I agree with @prgirl39mfp in that the world could use more kindness, I often list "Perform one random act of kindness" in my daily goals, but sometimes don't feel like I did it and then I see your lists and I do so many of them without even thinking that it made me smile! I was doing them and didn't even realize it. I always leave change in vending machines. I remember being a kid and getting so excited to find an extra 50 cents! I let people go in front of me in lines often, especially if I have a lot and they have a few items. Compliment someone...boy does that put a smile on a person's face when you tell then how pretty the color of their jacket is on them. And there were several others that I don't even remember right now.

I'm excited to read through these lists later and find more. I really feel that if everyone took a minute out of their day to smile, say hello, open a door for someone, compliment another person....wouldn't this be a wonderful world?

:)
  • themedalist
    Options
    MmamabearR wrote: »
    This morning I did a random act of kindness and didn't actually realize til I'd done it. I was at the McDonald's drive-thru and I felt a prompting in my spirit to pay for the vehicle behind me. So I did. It felt good, and then as I drove away, I realized I'd met this weeks challenge. Bonus!

@SilverSheWolf55 and @prgirl39mfp - you both have beautiful hearts! Thank you @themedalist for the challenge! Merry Christmas to all!

I love this! You were moved to do a thoughtful act and and then realized you had checked the box for this week’s challenge. Way to go, @MmamabearR!
  • themedalist
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I love this challenge! perfect way to end out the year. I agree with @prgirl39mfp in that the world could use more kindness, I often list "Perform one random act of kindness" in my daily goals, but sometimes don't feel like I did it and then I see your lists and I do so many of them without even thinking that it made me smile! I was doing them and didn't even realize it. I always leave change in vending machines. I remember being a kid and getting so excited to find an extra 50 cents! I let people go in front of me in lines often, especially if I have a lot and they have a few items. Compliment someone...boy does that put a smile on a person's face when you tell then how pretty the color of their jacket is on them. And there were several others that I don't even remember right now.

I'm excited to read through these lists later and find more. I really feel that if everyone took a minute out of their day to smile, say hello, open a door for someone, compliment another person....wouldn't this be a wonderful world?

:)

Couldn’t agree more! If everyone took a minute to give a stranger an encouraging gesture we’d have a much different world, @OConnell5483
  • themedalist
    Options
    I have to admit I’m struggling a bit with this week’s challenge. Since I’m still recuperating from surgery, I’m not going into work or running errands. I’ve been thinking it’s hard to do a kind act for someone if I don’t see anyone during the day.

C’mon, Denise. Try harder. There are lots of opportunities. So today I made an online donation to a wonderful organization that addresses childhood hunger and tomorrow I’m calling a former colleague who I sense could use support and a good listener.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Thank you, @OConnell5483. I appreciate that a lot!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Just went to Walmart. They had sales galore. While I was gathering my bags, the man behind me put 2 obvious Xmas gifts on the belt, said "before you ring them up, can you tell me how much they will be with tax. I only have $X.XX." The clerk rang it up and he was about a dime short.
    Because of this post and trying to think what I could do, I just laid a dollar on the counter. He and the clerk both said "Thank you".
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have been missing this week. I have been enjoying reading all your great posts, but haven't had time to write anything myself yet.

I do try to do random acts of kindness regularly. It is one of my rules for myself that if I think that someone looks nice or does something well, that I make a point of complimenting them. I also smile at random strangers and say "Good morning/ day/evening." Spreading a little sunshine is good for everyone.

I work in the tutoring lab at a college, and we have a dispenser for print cards so that students can print their homework from the computers. The dispenser only takes $1 bills, and the cash machine on campus only gives $10 bills. Students these days carry very little cash. I always load my wallet with ones, and if the student has no change I just give them the dollar.

This week, my SIL had emergency surgery, so most of my kind acts this week were focused on helping out my family. Sitting with my daughter while her hubby was in surgery, running errands for her, and caring for my grandkids took up most of my kind acts were not random, but focused on family.

I did still smile and wish folks a good day. I also threw a donation in the Salvation Army bucket once this week.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to have read this today. You are all inspiring me to continue. Thanks everyone for taking some time and think about someone else. We all have our struggles and it is always nice to know someone cares.

I always take some time and check on my friends here on MFP. The ones that have been out of the site for a while. I send a quick " Hello" or " Miss you" message and you will not believe that 85% of the time I get a response and that persons is going through something. Makes me happy. Also if you are on FB, do it as well. Always reach out and say hello, let them know you are thinking of them.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    Today I was on the receiving end of a random act of kindness. Coming out of Costco this morning with a overloaded flat, my purchases started falling off when I hit those cart-stopping bumps which seem installed for the sole purpose of shaking items from overloaded flats. A kind young lady jumped out of her car and helped me reload my cart and get past that last set of bumps. :)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas Everyone!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas!!! <3
  • themedalist
    Options
    Well done, @bluheron_81! I know your coupon was an unexpected surprise for the lucky person who found it. And I’m not surprised you were then the recipient of someone else’s random act of kindness.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I have really enjoyed reading your stories and I have one of my own to share. It happened about a year ago.

Sometimes we are in a situation where we just know what the right thing to do is. I work at a university and one of the services our lab provides is large size poster printing for students. In the spring, many students present their research studies at an undergraduate and graduate research conference we have on campus. Hundreds of students come in during this three week period to get their posters printed.

One day, a senior nursing student came in to get her poster printed. She was under the impression that her department was going to cover the $40 printing cost, and although we checked, that wasn’t the case. She would have to cover the expense herself. I could tell from the expression on her face that $40 was a lot and she hadn’t planned on this expense. $40 is the food budget to a lot of college students.

I knew instantly what I needed to do. I told her I was going to pay for her poster and then I told her why.

When I was in labor with my daughter many years ago, my uneventful pregnancy and delivery took a very scary turn. My daughter’s heart rate plummeted and she was in danger. Thankfully, a very attentive nurse was staring at the fetal monitor and within seconds she called it and sounded the silent alarm. People started running into my hospital room and equipment started flying out of the cabinets behind my bed. Within seconds, they stabilized the situation and Kelsey was no longer in danger. They think that her umbilical cord had wrapped around her neck.

Were it not for that wonderful attentive nurse, I could have had a much different outcome. I’ve never forgotten her, and I’ve tried to thank every nurse I’ve met since then. Nurses are the backbone of our health care system.

So naturally, I was delighted to pay for this student nurse’s poster. She was so happy she started crying. And the icing on the cake? She told me she was going to specialize as a neo-natal nurse! That’s just perfect...she’ll be helping lots of newborns and new moms!