First day!

Options
Hey im miranda and new at this! Im needing everyones advice! I was thinkin i would start slow like just taking sodas out and drinkin more water untill i get used to it then doin something else?? There are so many diets out there that i stay confused, what do yall suggest i do? Im going to have alot of trouble with the excercising part for a while cause all i feel like doing is sleeeping! Help help help!! :D

Replies

• junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My advice: The first thing that you need to remove is the word diet as you think of it right now. Your diet is what you eat, not something you "go on". Start to think about how you can add healthy, nutrient dense foods into what you eat every day. For instance, a good goal would be to add servings of fruit and veggies to your day if you don't get very many now. Just set reasonable goals on getting healthier foods into your diet little by little and then it just becomes the norm.

As for exercise I have 2 pieces of advice: To start maybe you just walk. Walking is so beneficial to our bodies and can really help you build stamina. You can start with 3 5 minute walks per day and then build up to 3 10 minute walks and then bam you are at your 30 minutes a day in no time! Once you are there you can decide what next steps you can take.

My other piece of advice is find something that you enjoy (WHAT?! ENJOY EXERCISE??) This could be a dance party with the kids in the living room for 15 minutes just to get your body moving!! There are TONS of fun games on the Wii or other game systems and even fun videos on you tube that you can search... just have fun and enjoy it!!

To sum up: eat less, move more... in any capacity to start!!
  • Kaytee86
    Kaytee86 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing for me is to not be too hard with myself. I am not expecting miracles overnight. There are going to ups and downs, good days and bad days. I just have to remember to focus on doing good each day on it's own. If something happens that wasn't good, learn from it and move on.

MFP isn't about being on a "diet". It's about learning how to eat right and made a change for life. So many of us out there, myself included, have gotten the way we are because we don't understand proper portion size or what we are really eating. This forces you to look at what you are eating. So record everything (even the slip ups). Then you can go back and look at what you can change and learn from. For examples, if you sugars are really high, maybe next time you can switch out a sweet for some veggies.

I also find that I have some go-to items to curb certain cravings. When I really want sweets, I have a Kellogs Breakfast Shake in Chocolate. It's sweet enough that it curbs my sweet tooth, but has enough protein to keep hunger at bay for awhile.

I found an app for my ipod that I absolutely love because I'm a nerd. ;) Zombies, Run! is an interactive narrative fitness app. I use that to encourage me to go outside. It's designed for running, but you don't have to. You can walk. I used it last summer and only walked. I'm feeling braver this summer so I'm using their 5k training app along with their regular one. This is what inspires me to get exercise. It might be different for you. Find something that inspires you.

I'm also a numbers person, so I keep track of a ridiculous amount of data. I have a set distance that I walk on workdays to catch the bus. I keep a record of how long it takes me to get there to see if I'm going quicker.

So as June said, find stuff you enjoy and stick with it, but also don't be afraid to try new things.