Help to stave off insanity while recovering post op

Options
A bit off topic (apologies), but I'm booked in for surgery on 10th Jan (keyhole, tubes tied, nothing "serious") and I've been told:
1) I'm probably going to be signed off work for 5 days;
2) It is "not advisable" to drive for 3 weeks;
3) I should lay off rigorous exercise for potentially 6 to 8 weeks; and
4) Someone must pick me up post op and I absolutely must not cycle home.

Of course, I think this is a whole load of tosh.

But just incase I am not superwoman and I actually am "laid up" (I really don't want to be irresponsible and cause damage where there is none by being stupid or impatient) please can you throw some ideas at me.

I should have been a puppy, I tend to go crazy if I'm not let outside regularly or exercised!! Am I going to have to start knitting????!

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    During my 6 month recovery from ACL reconstruction, I started baking bread. The real kind, not the bread machine kind. Like what you'd find in an artisan bread store, twists, braids, two-tones. I got pretty good at it, while dropping 60 lbs mind you.

Once I got the green light from the doc, haven't done it since. Did keep me sane.

Kneading dough can be kind of a core workout so maybe not the best idea for you.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Been there done that.. Well, not had my tubes tied, but surgery.

Interesting idea by @d_thomas02 ! A new hobby isn't a bad thing.

Go to class just to watch. It's HARD not getting up, but as you heal you will be able to participate in light warm ups, stretching and the like, and you'll still get the benefit of learning by watching... Which can give you some new insights on technique!

Stick to the schedules set by the Dr as much as possible.. much better to rest for 6 weeks than to be injured for 6 months!
  • Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm afraid of @bwmalone injuring myself through my own impatience "I feel fine I'll just try a press up".

Epecially when it's something I've elected to do and I'm relatively fit going into it and not a medical emergency where I'm laid up ill or injured and less likely to be able to overdo things.

Going to class to watch does sound a good idea as you would get a lot out of the different perspective. You don't sometimes " take it all in" when you're part of the action, will be good to see a bigger picture and watch others. Thanks.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Going to class to watch does sound a good idea as you would get a lot out of the different perspective. You don't sometimes " take it all in" when you're part of the action, will be good to see a bigger picture and watch others. Thanks.

Never worked for me during my recovery as I always ended up out on the mat helping. I had to stay completely away.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Just listen to the professionals. In 30 seconds of overdoing it, you can tear a muscle somewhere in a way that will take six to nine months to heal.

And don't cycle home. *freaked out*
  • Bluebell2325
    Options
    Good point @d_thomas02 I'm just hoping I heal as quickly as I used to. I had emergency c-section almost 13 years ago and I was driving 13 days after surgery (six days after second one two years later) admittedly no heavy lifting, running or karate but at least I had a sprog to distract me. Was back to basic exercise (steps, aerobics) after all clear at 6 week check up. So hopefully two tiny keyholes by my belly button will be much less invasive. However I have 10 more years of aged decrepitness.

I will behave and listen to professionals @HeliumIsNoble it really is not worth me injuring myself through frustration, I promise to only climb the walls metaphorically. I'm going to check out some books to read.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I had my tubes tied 2 years ago the same way. I was surprised that it really did take 6-8 weeks before I could exercise much. I think I tried at week 6 and my body told me I needed to wait until 8.

I've just come off 6 weeks without karate due to a foot injury. (Tonight is my first class back...I'm beyond excited.) I usually train with my kids, so I took them to all of their classes and watched (vs. zoning on my phone). I attempted the new kata they've started learning without me yesterday for the first time and got almost all the way through...just from watching intently. The boys advanced a belt without me and are convinced that they'll always outrank me. Watch out boys, mom is coming for you. :)

Good luck to you!
  • Bluebell2325
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up @Bianca42 it really shocked me, but I will take it seriously in recovery. And as for mum/son competition, mine is half a belt behind me and will be raring to square that up while I'm off!
  • Bluebell2325
    Options
    Finished work. Op tomorrow. Got freezer full of homemade ready meals, a pile of books, various programmes saved to watch later, I've done double karate already this week and I'm going for a run later (to completely trash my body before I can't use it - I'll be gentle...). Booked my car in for service and MOT so it's out the way while i cant use it, drop it off tomorrow morning on way to hospital and pick it up (or hubby will) Saturday. So all that's left to do is pack an overnight bag just in case they have to keep me in and remember to fast in the morning!!!!!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @Bluebell2325 Great planning! I must say I'm impressed. Good luck in surgery.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    Good luck!
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    hope it goes smoothly!
  • Bluebell2325
    Options
    I am alive! I had the op yesterday lunchtime, all went well during op. But had a bit of a disaster coming around after general anaesthetic so they kept me in a while longer than expected. I'm home, comfortable and have the unenviable job later of having to remove the dressings today and have a warm, not too hot, shower. I miggt see if they soak off in shower, tgey look pretty glued on at moment and am not keen of moving tgem! Thanks for the support. Mx
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    Welcome back to the world of the awake!

And, er, um, er, yeah that sounds unpleasant. I hope it turns out easier than it looks.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @Bluebell2325 Glad to hear things went ok - now on to recovery.