PMR ( Polymyalgia rheumatica ) On Prednisone

Options
dea131313
dea131313 Posts: 13 Member
Hi, I have PMR ( Polymyalgia rheumatica ) , not much is known about this autoimmune disease , it's not terminal but can last from 2 year to 5+ . I do know people who have had it for 10 years.
I'm just going into my 2nd year.

The only help is to take Prednisone ( the Devils TicTac ) which of you who are on it would know the side effects are worse than the illness sometimes, but when you have no choice what do you do?

I have been on Preds now for near 2 years, started at 20mg then put up to 40mg due to symptoms of GCA which can make you go blind. But I am tapering and now on 12mg a day.

My biggest concern is the weight the Prednisone put on me, and how hard it is to lose while taking it..... It's sort of like a Catch22 as I also have Osteoarthritis in my spinal facet joints, so heavy exercise is out, I do pool and walk when my back allows me. I don't like taking heavy drugs and go for the more natural medicine ( supplements ) which helps keep inflammation down, which is the major cause for PMR ....

I would like to be friends with anyone else who has PMR or a similar autoimmune illness and are on Prednisone. We can help each other with this journey.

I wish you all Gentle Healing :smile: Dea