When you miss a planned run...

Options
WickAndArtoo
WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
Curious what other people do, do you tack the miles onto another run if you have already taken your rest days and try to still reach your goal for miles that week, or do you just skip that run/lose the miles.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Depends on the reason for the missed run I suppose...

Are you following a programme?
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I generally follow a plan, so I just skip the run. Trying to tack on is going to mess with the goal of program or possibly cause injury.
  • tristar365
    tristar365 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd also say depends on the plan, but I think I'd skip it. Making up for lost miles is hard if you're following a training plan, cause it might mess with your other workouts.

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Depends. I usually adjust the rest of the week a bit, but I don't recover all the distance:

If I miss speedwork on Tuesday, but have easy runs schedules on Wednesday and Thursday, I would probably try to do the speedwork on Wednesday. But then I wouldn't do Wednesday's easy run, so I "lose" those miles.

If I have 5km/10km/5km scheduled during the week and miss one of the 5km runs, I might change the other 5km run to 8km to recover a bit. Unless I missed the run because I went cycling/skiing/rowing/.../ instead, in which case I still count it as "some kind of training done" and just drop the run entirely.
    If in the same scenario I miss the 10km run, I would extend one of the other runs to 10km. Unless I missed it because I was too sick to run, then most likely I wouldn't be well enough to run the full distance the next day either.

If I miss more than a week of training, I would repeat the week from my plan, but if it's just a day or too, I just go on with the programme.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Depends. I usually adjust the rest of the week a bit, but I don't recover all the distance:

If I miss speedwork on Tuesday, but have easy runs schedules on Wednesday and Thursday, I would probably try to do the speedwork on Wednesday. But then I wouldn't do Wednesday's easy run, so I "lose" those miles.

If I have 5km/10km/5km scheduled during the week and miss one of the 5km runs, I might change the other 5km run to 8km to recover a bit. Unless I missed the run because I went cycling/skiing/rowing/.../ instead, in which case I still count it as "some kind of training done" and just drop the run entirely.
    If in the same scenario I miss the 10km run, I would extend one of the other runs to 10km. Unless I missed it because I was too sick to run, then most likely I wouldn't be well enough to run the full distance the next day either.

If I miss more than a week of training, I would repeat the week from my plan, but if it's just a day or too, I just go on with the programme.

Thank you for this in depth description of how you handle the situation and the different circumstances. This was how I envisioned handling the different scenarios and was wondering if it was an okay game plan.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Depends on the reason for the missed run I suppose...

Are you following a programme?

I am, it’s a 10 week beginners half marathon plan my friend picked out, really strait forward and standard for a beginners plan. I haven’t missed a run yet, as I took the first week to test drive my schedule (I had only just found out about the race) and I am starting this week.

Since it’s winter most likely I will miss a run due to being sick, going skiing/hiking/snowshoeing or injury... or some random occurrence of being incredibly busy (the days are super short atm and it’s not safe to run in the dark in the icy conditions).
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do if you fail at the weekly long run? By failing I mean either missing it or not completing the full mileage?
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    If I miss it due to scheduling or weather, I typically do it on another day and maybe shift things around the next week to compensate.
    If I was sick I, I'd likely take a break and pick up in the same place on the training plan when I'm feeling better, or skip it completely, depending on where it is in the overall training plan.
    So I guess my answer really is "it depends".
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do if you fail at the weekly long run? By failing I mean either missing it or not completing the full mileage?

Again, depends on the reason.

I was full of cold so did 5 miles then 2.8 miles on Saturday and Sunday instead of my planned 9-10 miles. Next week I will just do the 9-10 again as planned.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I'm naughty. I'll move it forward (until my volume gets really high) if it makes sense. Unless it's reasonably close to an off day, I'll just substitute that.

If I'm doing an hour run brick and only get 45 minutes, I'll totally make the next hour brick 1:15. Because it's just no big deal, and yay for zone 2 volume.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

Depends. If you choked and did less than 80% the distance, I'd take the last week's previous long run (you do them weekly?) and duplicate that distance (instead of increasing the distance). Or, I'll do it the next day instead, if I have time, and just kind of move things around.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I agree, it depends. This cycle I missed two runs because I was sick. It took several days before I was 100% so I just skipped them. I am near the peak of my training, so there is no way I can incorporate 20 extra miles in my week without getting injured. I do, however, add a little extra to my days so I am not down as much. i.e. I'll run 5.8 instead of 5 miles or 8.3 instead of 8. I usually end up with at least a mile extra each week.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Well I finished my half today :) thank you for everyone’s responses!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

How did it go? Did you hit your goal?

What are your thoughts on the training plan you undertook? With the learning from this time, would you change anything next time?
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    sjb74uk wrote: »

How did it go? Did you hit your goal?

What are your thoughts on the training plan you undertook? With the learning from this time, would you change anything next time?

Hi :) thanks for the response!

It went really well! My goal was technically to just finish before they kicked me off the road :) but really I wanted to finish the entire race without walking (which I did!!) it was so slow, but definitely my biggest achievement ever... still in shock that I could jog 2hours and 48 min strait without walking lol.. considering when I started the training plan even at my slowest pace I couldn’t run a mile strait.

I missed some planned runs (which were filled with hiking/walking/skiing). The training plan I followed-not sure even which one it was as my friend picked it out when she was planning on running with me and I just went with it- was a run 4 days, cross train 1, rest 2 w/ no specifications other than length.

If I could do it again I would plan on starting with 4/5 miles as my shortest runs instead of 1 miles, since I found I skipped the shorter runs the most, feeling they “weren’t much” and out of boredom since the shorter runs were always on the same roads near my house. This may be wrong or taboo, but it’s just reality for me.

One thing I wouldn’t change is doing yoga! I did yoga about 4-5 times a week for most of the training and when I didn’t do it for a week and ran I could tell a HUGE difference in my performance.

Another thing was fuel, I would worry way less about trying to lose weight because on days when I ate less than maintenance and ran I was useless, exhausted, grumpy, and spent. Days I ran after being over indulgent running was much easier.

I learned that on long runs I started needing fuel at 30 min not 45 (I used the gu packets with caffeine) and there was a very noticeable difference in my energy levels. I know that some people swear they don’t need it for half’s but i could tell when I was over extending my self. I have a history of hypoglycemia so that might haveto do with it or something else, not really sure.

I used a hydration pack on race day, and I loved it. I chose to do this because I knew I was taking entertain gels and wanted to be able to take them when needed not just when a water station showed up.

Most of all I learned that race day is way more fun than training, a lot of it is mental, and all the annoying runs and slipping on ice onto dog *kitten* was all worth it in the end.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    That's awesome - you've learnt a tonne from that plan and clearly are going to be able to tailor it to your own needs next time. I assume you've already signed up for another!!?? :smile:

I used a hydration belt and gels for my first half too. It's all well and good other people telling you it's not needed, but going and running that far and that long, when you've never done it before is bloody intimidating and I say lean on whatever crutch gives you confidence!

I like your point about being grumpy when running when underfed. My wife claims I'm the same.....

Yoga huh? I keep hearing that. I'm going to have to give it a try. Perhaps it's not just for hippies :wink:

Well done and congratulations. A half marathon is a huge achievement that most people will never accomplish!