Replacing camshaft position sensor

Hi guys! I recently got my engine codes read by a friend of mine on my 1994 Mustang. It was the P0340 powertrain code. I did some research and saw that the problem was with my camshaft position sensor and I was wanting to know if that is something that a back yard mechanic can replace or if I should save some money and get it professionally done?

As it is right now, the part itself runs about $37 and I have not yet contacted any auto shops about how much it would be through them but I'm certain that it will be no less than $200 total.

Thanks!

Replies

• tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 416 Member
    what engine? I'm guessing 3.8 V6? I've never done this on this car, but it looks easy......for someone with mechanical background. Do you have the ability to find TDC? Because according to this this thread I was reading that needs to be done when replacing the sensor. But it doesn't look too bad.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/v6-tech/190583-replacing-camshaft-synchronizer-sensor.html#post1675975
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Yes it's one the 3.8 V6. I am not sure if he found the TDC, but he does have quite a bit of mechanical background (he builds planes for a hobby).

I actually thought of joining that forum for a while but never really got around to it... :laugh:
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Your crankshaft pulley should have marks on it to find TDC.
    Once the marks are lined up, you are golden.
    All you need is a large socket (I don't know what size for that nut) and a rather large breaker bar to rotate the engine.
    If you can, hit the marks with some white out to make them easier to view while rotating the engine.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 416 Member
    I have a 93 Mustang. That forum is pretty good. I like corral.net better.