FAQ's

RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
1. Do I have to lose weight in order to win the Ultimate Accountability Challenge?

No. You just need to exercise every day, eat within your calorie budget every day, track everything you consume every day for the entire month and check in at least every three days.

2. If I'm trying to maintain or gain weight, can I join the Ultimate Accountability Challenge?

Yes. Although most people who join this challenge are trying to lose weight, those who want to use this challenge to gain or maintain weight are welcome. Members still need to exercise, have a calorie goal, track everything consumed and report for every day of the entire month.

3. What counts as exercise?

Nearly all physical activity counts as exercise. That includes walking, cleaning your house, playing tag with the kids, walking your dog, etc. This doesn't mean you should do the bare minimum every day if you're capable of much more. If you want results, you have to challenge yourself, but for the purpose of the Ultimate Accountability Challenge, 20 minutes of any kind of exercise will suffice.

4. What if I only go five calories over budget? Or one calorie over budget?

You've lost the challenge if you exceed your daily calories budget. However, you may use a sick day for days you are not able to complete the challenge. There is a 3 sick day limit for the month.

5. What if I forget to track something I've consumed, but I remember later and update my food diary?

If, for any reason, you forget to include something in your food diary, but you later remember, you should add the item to your food diary. If this results in you being over budget for the day, then you've lost the challenge. However, you may use a sick day for days you are not able to complete the challenge. There is a 3 sick day limit for the month.

6. How long will the Ultimate Accountability Challenge be around?

This challenge is on-going. Currently, there are no plans to discontinue this monthly challenge.

7. What happens if I "slip up"?

Well, mistakes happen. The challenge is to be mindful of your fitness plan every day for a month. If you slip up for one day and you have used all your allowable sick days, you've lost the challenge. Your honesty will be respected and you are welcome to participate in future rounds of the Ultimate Accountability Challenge. In fact, we hope you will return.

8. What if the moderator “slips up”?

If the moderator slips up, the moderator will withdraw from that month’s challenge and will continue to monitor the challenge without participating in it.

9. What do I get if I win the challenge?

You get the satisfaction of knowing you adhered to your fitness plan for a solid month. You also get your username posted in the "Winners' Circle" thread, which is posted toward the beginning of the following month.

10. What if I get sick?

If you get sick, you need to follow your doctor's orders. To remain in the challenge, you must continue to keep track of your consumed calories, exercise and check in daily. If you are unable to complete the daily challenge due to illness or other circumstances, you may use a sick day. There is a 3-day sick day limit for the month. If you exceed 3 sick days, you will be out of the challenge. If you need to use a sick day, report it in the sign in thread for that date.

11. Don't you think it's cruel to drop people from the challenge when they slip up? Isn't that when they need the group's support the most?

The Ultimate Accountability Challenge isn't a support group; it's a challenge. There are many support groups on MFP and you are encouraged to join those that meet your needs. If the Ultimate Accountability Challenge becomes an integral part of your support system, 'friend' some other participants so that you can message them for support if you fail the monthly challenge.

12. If I exercise a lot, can I eat more calories than what MFP budgets for me?

Your calorie goal and calorie adjustments are entirely up to you.

13. Is there a minimum calorie goal?

No. Your calorie goals are up to you. However, if you consume less than 1,200 calories, MFP may notify you that you are eating less than is recommended.

14. Is there a maximum calorie goal?

No. Your calorie goals are up to you. Keep in mind, however, that if you're trying to lose weight, you should select a calorie goal that will enable you to achieve that.

15. Can my calorie goal change from day to day?

Yes. Each morning, determine your calorie goal for that day. If you exceed your goal during the day, you're out.

16. Do I have to “friend” you, the moderator?

No. There is no requirement to “friend” the moderator.

17. What is the end goal of this challenge?

The end goal of the challenge is to adhere to your diet and exercise plan for a month. By having to come here every day and say, in front of the group, "yes, I was active today, and, yes, I'm aware of what I ate today," you ensure (1) that you will have to focus on what you're putting into your body and the exercise you're feeding it all month long, and (2) that you will have an audience to hold you accountable.