Pho tonight

Options
dklibert
dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
Made beef pho tonight. It was really good! This is the second time I have made it. I use a YouTube recipe from Cuong Can Cook (https://youtube.com/watch?v=AB3DPGFVm3Y) I do make a few subs and leave out somethings I can't get here. I was even a bit lazy tonight and did not pre-boil the bones or toast the spices. It was still delicious but required straining through cheese cloth and a mesh strainer to get a clear broth. So I will probably pre-boil next time. Trust me there will be several next times. Try his Pho Ga recipe too. It is really great. I suggest warming you bowl before serving to keep it hot. If you don't it cools off really fast.

Beef Pho in Instant Pot

2 or 3 beef soup bones
1 large yellow onion, skin on halved
1 root of ginger, skin on halved
1.5 lbs of brisket or bottom round beef
1 lb eye of round very thinly sliced
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 sachet of pho spices (2 star anise, 2 Tbsp. coriander, 2 or 3 cardamom pods, 3" cinnamon stick broken, 4 cloves, 1 tsp. fennel)
3 or 4 cilantro stems
1 pkg rice stick noodle
Thai basil, torn (garnish)
Cilantro, chopped (garnish)
Green onions, sliced (garnish)
1 cup bean sprouts (garnish)
1 lime, quartered (garnish)
1 jalapeno, sliced (garnish)
Sriracha (garnish)
Hoisin sauce (garnish)

Pre-boil bones for 5 minutes in instant pot. Remove bones, rinse and wash instant pot liner.
Char onion and ginger over open flame, grill or broil in oven until charred and rinse.
Toast pho spices in dry pan, place them into cheesecloth bag or metal spice ball.
Place bones, brisket, onion, ginger, sugar, pho spices, cilantro stems and fish sauce into Instant Pot. Add water up to cover and almost to max line.
Pressure cook on manual for 45 or 50 minutes. I do a natural release if I can wait.
Remove beef and set aside. Ladle out top layer of fat from broth. Remove bones, onion, ginger, and pho spice bag and discard. Strain broth if necessary.
Taste for seasoning, add more fish sauce or salt to taste.
Soak rice noodle in cool water for 30 minutes until pliable.
Boil water for rice noodles. Cook noodles, stirring for 30 seconds to 1 minute and drain.
To serve place noodles in bowl add sliced or shredded cooked beef, eye of round and ladle some broth over everything. Garnish with Thai basil, cilantro, green onion, jalapeno and bean sprouts. Serve with sriracha, hoisin sauce and lime wedges.

Replies