Difference between exercise calories from fitbit on mfp iphone app vs. mfp website

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
The iphone mfp app is showing fewer fitbit exercise caloriesthan on the mfp website on my laptop. In fact, sometimes the iphone app is actually subtracting exercise calories. For instance, today, I did about 8000 steps of walking, got around 280 calories, then did a power yoga class in the late afternoon, and it actually subtracted 144 calories from the total. However, the MFP site has me at 383 calories for exercise for the day. Shouldn't these numbers be the same? This has been going on for about a week. Yesterday, I did an intense interval training class and by the end of the day, MFP on my iphone was telling me I should eat around 1000 calories.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just in case not known.

The Apps actually talk to app servers, that cache and relay info between the app and the account server.
    The account server is the web interface, where the syncing between accounts happens, real data storage not related to just the app.

There can be delays between app and account servers, and mis-syncs.

Sometimes signing out of the app, closing it, power cycling so you know it really closed behind the scene, and opening it again gets fresh data.

I've seen cases where the app had updated info from the device, after a few minutes of it obviously sending that data to the account server (or rather not), it received back the account server info - which was less than before.

So person sitting there watching app, workout from device just synced over, daily values went up.
    And next thing you know the daily values went back down except for the extra time from last update, and the workout is still sitting there. Obviously not counting.

I haven't used the Apple app, the Android used to (haven't used it lately either because of sync flakiness and not needed during the day anyway) have an option to remove the app account, not the whole account.
    Don't recall what it was called exactly, but it was named such you could confirm it wasn't deleting your whole account, just app access.
    Which will make a mess with syncing with MFPh usually if account is deleted.

Might look and try that if above method doesn't work.