Doula

Options
jenluvsushi
jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
So I am thinking about hiring a doula this time around. I was wondering if any of you had one before and if you think it is worth the extra expense. In my area, doulas run from about $600 to $800. Just wanted some of your insight, good or bad. Thanks!

Replies

• momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had a doula by both my kids but my doula was my mother in law so I didnt have to pay. It was great having someone there to massage me and help me with the breathing and keep me focused. I definitely plan on having her there again this time around. So yes, I definitely recommend a doula if u plan on having a natural birth. However, if your planning to get an epidural i dont really see why its necessary.
  • nan199678
    nan199678 Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi! I'm planning a VBAC & found a great doula who is still working on getting certified so her fee was less, $300. I plan on laboring at home as much as possible & while I'd like to think I an go all the way w/o an epidural, I haven't ruled it out. I'm going to have a birth plan ready & she will be there to help see that things go as close to it as possible. I've actually looked into becoming a doula myself because I think they are & can be a great addition to a birth experience. :-)
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I actually found a doula in training and will be one of her first three births, so she is free. I am also planning a VBAC. She may not have the experience in VBAC like I would prefer, but she is going above and beyond in preparing for my birth and I am confident she will be a huge asset. I have also been educating my husband on VBAC, birth, interventions and all of that so that they will be a good advocate team for me. I am doing hypnosis as well, so she will be helpful in running interference between me and the nursing staff once we go into the hospital.

I am planning an unmedicated birth for many reasons, but I still think doula's are helpful for medicated births and even C-sections. They are there for the mom and offer a lot of support. I would have LOVED having a doula there for my c-section when they wisked my daughter away and my husband went with her to the nursery. I was left all alone being sown up and was very confused and felt almost abandoned? That emotional support would have come in handy. They also help to ensure that your wishes are honored in a hospital setting. Things like delayed cord clamping or any routine newborn procedures you may want to decline. Basically, they are your biggest advocate.

I am also looking into becoming a doula once this baby is a little older and nursing less. The statistics show just how much they can help labor and delivery, even reducing the time you spend in labor. They will come to your home and labor there until it is time to go in to the hospital and will visit you afterward to assist with breastfeeding and such.

Basically my opinion is that they are worth their weight in gold. I only wish I had one last time! My only suggestion would be to interview several and make sure you "click" really well. This is very important for anyone invited to the birth since it is so sacred.
  • jenluvsushi
    Options
    I actually just went to a "Meet the Doulas" event in my area and got to meet quite a few local Doulas. My intention when I went wasn't to learn about Doulas as much as to meet a gal who does placenta encapsulation. Well, while sitting there and listening to the various reasons why people get a Doula, I started to realize that if I had had one with my last birth, it may have been a totally different experience. My water broke when I wasn't in active labor so they induced me....little did I know of all of the other measures I could have tried (including not knowing that you have 72 hours and not 24 hours to get the baby out after the water breaks) before introducing that devil Pitocin into my body. My husband also wasn't the best birth coach as he slept through most of it which was hard to hear (snoring) while I was in agony. I do understand that he was exhausted after dealing with taking me back and forth to the hospital day and night the week prior so I do understand. I am just thinking that a Doula can educate me more about what my options are and also teach my hubby how to help me (or give him some relief when he is tired). I have not been able to have an epidural free birth yet and I am hoping that a Doula will help get me there this time. Thank you all for your input! I think I am going to start interviewing them ASAP :flowerforyou:
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    I actually just went to a "Meet the Doulas" event in my area and got to meet quite a few local Doulas. My intention when I went wasn't to learn about Doulas as much as to meet a gal who does placenta encapsulation. Well, while sitting there and listening to the various reasons why people get a Doula, I started to realize that if I had had one with my last birth, it may have been a totally different experience. My water broke when I wasn't in active labor so they induced me....little did I know of all of the other measures I could have tried (including not knowing that you have 72 hours and not 24 hours to get the baby out after the water breaks) before introducing that devil Pitocin into my body. My husband also wasn't the best birth coach as he slept through most of it which was hard to hear (snoring) while I was in agony. I do understand that he was exhausted after dealing with taking me back and forth to the hospital day and night the week prior so I do understand. I am just thinking that a Doula can educate me more about what my options are and also teach my hubby how to help me (or give him some relief when he is tired). I have not been able to have an epidural free birth yet and I am hoping that a Doula will help get me there this time. Thank you all for your input! I think I am going to start interviewing them ASAP :flowerforyou:

Good luck!! I don't think you will regret it at all!! Have you happened to read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth? I just finsihed it and it was amazing!! The book gave me so much more confidence in my body and birthing ntaurally, which I think is very important when preparing for birth, especially an unmedicated one. :)
  • jenluvsushi
    Options

Good luck!! I don't think you will regret it at all!! Have you happened to read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth? I just finsihed it and it was amazing!! The book gave me so much more confidence in my body and birthing ntaurally, which I think is very important when preparing for birth, especially an unmedicated one. :)

Read a book? Is this some new age craze? Kidding...I have a two year old. About the only thing I get to read nowadays is Dr. Seuss. Books.....how I miss thee. lol! I will try to check it out....hopefully I will actually get to read it...... Thanks!
  • Rubyayn
    Options

Read a book? Is this some new age craze? Kidding...I have a two year old. About the only thing I get to read nowadays is Dr. Seuss. Books.....how I miss thee. lol! I will try to check it out....hopefully I will actually get to read it...... Thanks!

Ha! I totally get that!!! My daughter is 3.5. It took me a solid three weeks to finish the book and it is short!!
  • jenluvsushi
    Options

Ha! I totally get that!!! My daughter is 3.5. It took me a solid three weeks to finish the book and it is short!!

Exactly...About the only free time I have is when I am in the restroom and that consists of her stalking me at the door, LOL!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I paid $1500 for a doula/monitrice and it was worth every penny! Between the doula partners I hired, I had a massage therapist, aromatherapist, Certified Nurse Midwife, Licensed Midwife, and Registered Nurse (and a few titles that I can't remember, probably childbirth educator and lactation consultant). My doulas were also practicing homebirth midwives. Definitely over and above the usual doula services, ergo the fee.They were able to check dilation, listen to the baby on the doppler - and know what they were listening to, came to ultrasounds with me and asked questions that I didn't think to ask. Recommended food to eat and books to read. Awesome experience.

I felt like it was a small price to pay for the difference they made in my prenatal care and delivery, since the cost of a c-section would have eaten up any savings I made by going with a "regular" (DONA/CAPPA) doula or not having one at all.

The presence of our doula also was a morale booster for my husband. They really validated his feelings about the previous birth, and when doctors I didn't even know showed up in my hospital room trying to manipulate the situation, he had the confidence to jump right in and say "she doesn't want that" or "you can't put that mask on her face without asking."