Age+ Insulin = Weight Gain

Options
SJWojo
SJWojo Posts: 5 Member
I was diagnosed with T1D in 1962; that equates to almost 56 years of dealing with everything that goes along with being a long-time diabetic.

I wasn’t always “fluffy” but my senior years have witnessed a gain of weight that I totally hate. It seems the more I try to lose, the more I gain. I cut back on my basal insulin and my sugars run high. I cut back on my carb intake and I experience hypo’s. I can’t seem to win. I know it’s a titration issue that I have to work out but .... it’s very trying and I’m tired of battling this. Are there other diabetic in my situation?

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I found a lot of success with low carb, but you have to adapt to it and change basal rates regularly as you lose. When low, just consume the minimum carbs (I can often get by with 0g-4g by suspending basal on my pump).

Another thing: Before starting, make sure your basals are right. Do a 24hr. fasting basal test (with no exercise also). If you can't make it the full 24 hrs., then split it up. If you go low, then you know your basal needs to be cut back and then you will need to try again in a few days.