Need friends

Options
I'm in the process of getting a gastric sleeve. Looking for friends who are going to or have had the same surgery.

Replies

• kooshism
    kooshism Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduled for surgery 2/26
  • WeightlossTraveler653
    Options
    Hi Nicole and new gastric bypass pals: This is Marsha and I had the vertical sleeve gastrectomy June 2014. It changed my life in very positive ways. Just to get to the point you are now takes courage. There are phases you go through.
    The biggest predictor of your success is strong emotional support.
    There are folks on line, in your circle of friends and family, and in formal weight loss groups in your hometown who will help you along your way. The internet sites I recommend are Thinner Times Forum (my favorite) and Bariatric Pal. Before I had the surgery i was in Weight Watchers ($48/mo) for a while. Then I joined a Take Off Pounds Sensibly TOPS chapter in my area. They provided much needed emotional support and weight accountability at a cost (about $8 a month vs Weight Watchers $48/ month). At TOPS you weighin in a category that includes only those who have had surgery at least for a couple years until the weight loss effects of the surgery are neglible compared to people who use diet and exercise alone.

You may be surprised to know that the sleeve effects wear off for many people. But I hope that doesn’t deter you or anyone else from getting the procedure. You have taken charge of your health!
    For me in the 4 weeks following surgery I no longer had high cholesterol, didn’t need blood pressure meds, and my sleep apnea went away. Results vary. A year later I had a whole new wardrobe and outlook on life.

I’d like to find out where you are in your weight loss journey. What are your challenges? What are your dreams for the future?
    All the best
    Your new Weight Loss Pal, Marsha