weight gain help!

Options
momRN2B
momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
I have been trying to stay within my calorie goals for the most part. I do 9go o6ver on my calories about once a week. I do an exercise DVD about 4-5 times a week and walk the other days. Up until week 10 I gained about 2 lbs but since then in about 5 weeks I gained 8 lbs and I dont know what i am doing wrong/ different. I really want to stay within the 25 lb gain for my pregnancy and at the rate i am going.... The amount i am eating i should either be losing weight or maintaining , not gaining. On most days i net around 1400-1500 calories and once or twice a week 2000 or so. The only thing that changed in the last few weeks is that my 16 month old son who used to breastfeed around 2-3 times a day cut down to one feeding a day. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    How far along are you? There are growth spurts at different points in pregnancy.

Unfortunately, the hardest thing for me to accept is that if you're eating right and exercising, sometimes your body is going to gain anyway even if the calorie don't indicate that you should. Prior to being pregnant my calories in/out exactly determined my weightloss - I knew exactly how much I'd lose based on what I ate. Being pregnant, the same rules don't hold true - I can eat an amount that says I should gain 1/2lb that week, watch my sodium and carbs, and gain 2lbs. Other weeks eating the same amount I have lost a pound. It's hard to learn to trust your body to do what it's going to do - I really get that. It's a constant struggle. But if you're not eating a ton and you're not eating a ton of junk, you're eating right and exercising, you are doing exactly what you should be doing - and that means by default, so is your body, even if the numbers on the scale don't seem friendly.
  • momRN2B
    Options
    I am 15 weeks along. And thanx for the advice... keep it coming. I guess i just have to stick to eating healthy, staying within my calorie goals and exercising and not focus so much on the #s on the scale. All the scale is doing now is making me frustrated cuz nothing i do is helping those #s from going up. Easier said than done...
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I gained 40lbs last time..... ooops! This time I started to follow the GD diet and am at 34 weeks and up 11. It is basically impossible for me to gain any real wt when following the GD diet and it is really healthy for me and the baby. I also drink a LOT of water and walk daily. I went into the pregnancy with 20 extra pounds so my midwife isn't worried about my lack of wt gain. That is what has worked for me, give it a shot if you want:happy:
  • nan199678
    nan199678 Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the less breastfeeding has to play some part. But I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. If you're still not happy maybe try decreasing your on plan calorie days? I actually had to adjust mine up a little & it seems to be the right match for me. I do 5 days around 1300 cal & 2 days off. I calculated my BMR and figured it out. Here is one link: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ Hope that helps. :-)
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how big you are and how much it takes for you to maintain your weight but your intake seems a little low. You should be eating enough to at least maintain your weight at this point and make sure you're not under or your body may just be trying to hold onto that extra fat bc you're not eating enough. I started out at 122 pounds and ate around 1750 calories and then increased during the second trimester to 1900 calories. I am still on track to gain 25 pounds or just barely over. Good luck to you! Just remember you have to accept the weight gain as it will seem to pile on even though you're not eating bad. :)
  • momRN2B
    Options
    thanx for the replies. I am 5''2 and pre-pregnancy i weighed 125 lbs. I am now in the beginning of my 16th week and I am up 10 lbs, 8 of them gained in the last 5 weeks. Maybe i need to up my calorie intake or maybe i need to cut down on my over calorie days. not sure which one is more important.
  • Stephaniengarner
    Options
    I feel you I am 57 and weighed 138 and now I am 149 sio 11 lbs it is hard to see the scale go up when you are working out but My midwife is happy with my weight gain so far and I am 23 weeks
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how big you are and how much it takes for you to maintain your weight but your intake seems a little low. You should be eating enough to at least maintain your weight at this point and make sure you're not under or your body may just be trying to hold onto that extra fat bc you're not eating enough. I started out at 122 pounds and ate around 1750 calories and then increased during the second trimester to 1900 calories. I am still on track to gain 25 pounds or just barely over. Good luck to you! Just remember you have to accept the weight gain as it will seem to pile on even though you're not eating bad. :)

This is what I was going to say. I am 5"4 and was at goal when I got pregnant. At that time I was maintaining goal weight at 2150 per day (I do not eat workout calories back). I have a moderate activity level. I am now eating 2350 per day in the third trimester and am on point to be under a 30 pound gain for the pregnancy. I have noticed that if I eat much lower than that amount that I lose energy and have many more pregnancy related symptoms.

Here is the site I used as a rough estimate to calorie needs.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

Scooby has a great caluclator for figuring out your BMR and TDEE as well.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • momRN2B
    Options

This is what I was going to say. I am 5"4 and was at goal when I got pregnant. At that time I was maintaining goal weight at 2150 per day (I do not eat workout calories back). I have a moderate activity level. I am now eating 2350 per day in the third trimester and am on point to be under a 30 pound gain for the pregnancy. I have noticed that if I eat much lower than that amount that I lose energy and have many more pregnancy related symptoms.

Here is the site I used as a rough estimate to calorie needs.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

Scooby has a great caluclator for figuring out your BMR and TDEE as well.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Thanx for the advice and the links. According to freedieting.com for my age, weight and height and an activity level of desk job I should be eating 1817 calories a day in my 2nd trimester. So I set my mfp goals to 1817 calories net since any extra exercise i do wasnt counted in to my activity level. ( I dont have a desk job but i want to count my exercise separately each day). So what do u think about my plan?

I also wanted to add that i have been trying to stick to my calorie goals this week and i lost about a half a lb. No weight gain this week! Finally!
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Great job! Sounds like a much better plan! :)