Chit Chat: What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 I love reading your posts! You make everything so interesting with your great details. Thanks for taking the time to really tell things like you do.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »
    @bmeadows380 I love reading your posts! You make everything so interesting with your great details. Thanks for taking the time to really tell things like you do.

@amy_kee thank you! :grin: I usually figured that most folks would be sighing and rolling their eyes with another of my epic posts......I can't seem to keep a story short and to the point for the life of me lol I am an introvert, though - honest! I'm just a very talkative one! :laugh:
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    @rabidhamster87 until we'd. He thinks he is being punished! Poor dog.

It's Sunday! What are people doing today??
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    normally, I'd be in church. But I stayed with the friend last night because her work shift ran until 12 am and I wanted to be sure that 1)she'd still have a job and 2)that after spending the week in the hospital that she'd be all right when she got home. And we stayed up very, very late talking :grin: So I slept in this morning.

Now I"m contemplating hard boiling some eggs while I start putting my things together. I plan on heading home after she leaves for work.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    my son was out of school all last week he had this dang flu , but he is so much better , he is going back to school tomorrow , so all his clothes I washed , and hung up and cleaned up the kitchen , I actually went and got them food , and I didn't eat at the fast food place ...came home and cooked my food . My son is 15 so we are his home work caught up , and everyone is ready to start a new week now . so that is my sunday LOL
  • kwiris0328
    kwiris0328 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @tammyfranks2 sounds like my Sunday too. Homework, cleaning, and laundry almost finished. I just have to round the family up to fold and put away the laundry. Good job on not having fast food!! The flu is awful here too. I'm glad your son is better.

I tried a blackened cod recipe for dinner tonight and it was awful! I'm a terrible cook anyway and this one was just beyond me. My family is having noodles and I just ate the veggies and called it a day. My sweet potatoes were super yummy though and filled me up.

I ordered a food scale and used it today to prep lunches for the whole week. I was shocked to see that I have been erring on the side of too little food. I actually thought 1 ounce of cut up chicken was 4 ounces. I'm so clueless when it comes to food.

And I went for a walk with my dog today! It was a bonus one too. Yay for one more day toward our goals! We're all going to rock this week!
  • rabidhamster87
    rabidhamster87 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 I completely understand what you mean about the thaw and re-freeze cycle! That's usually what happens here. We don't get snow so much as we get ice! It usually happens once or twice a year in January and February and because we're not used to it, our city isn't really prepared with salt and snow plows or anything to clear the streets. We only get maybe a week or so total of driving in it all year long, but that's enough for me to hate it. This time I actually lost control of my car TWICE! Once I actually bumped into another car :( (Thankfully I was going about 15 mph though, so no damage!) And the other time I just hit the curb. Last year I bent my rim sliding into a curb on ice on my way to work, so it might be worth the investment to get tires made for this kind of weather if it saves me buying more rims... or worse!

Saturday I spent 4 hours deep cleaning our kitchen! I was so exhausted by the end of it. Sunday I was completely lazy though. We started playing some Monster Hunter World yesterday morning with the intentions of getting off and doing some more housework after an hour or so, but next thing I knew it was 6 pm and were discussing dinner! Oh well. One productive day isn't too bad!

How do y'all keep your houses clean? Do you hire help or stay on top of it yourselves?
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    @rabidhamster87 He and I both clean the house here. We definitely work to stay on top of the cleaning needs. Poor guy, he always gets the parts that require bending over. Neither one of us likes clutter, so, things stay where they should be. So, there's usually not a whole lot of house work to be done at one time. For example, all of our dishes are washed right after we eat, so there's never any dirty dishes laying around anywhere. It's so much easier to maintain the house when we take care of things as they need attention,
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I keep it clean myself, and will do a deep clean usually once a year - spring clean, as my mom calls it, where I wash furniture and walls down, etc. Though I don't always get it done in the spring. Usually its more like in the fall :) And with my work schedule being what it is, I don't always get every room spring cleaned every year. I try for the kitchen and living room for sure, and spring cleaning the kitchen involves wiping out the cabinets and cleaning the fridge and oven, too.

Even when I was at my heaviest, I didn't have trouble getting down where I needed to. I can't squat, however - that is just murder on my knees! - so I tend to bend at the waist, which does lead to low grade lower back pain, but not enough to stop me from doing what I need to do. Stairs would make me out of breath, but I didn't have trouble getting up and down them unless there were several flights in a row!

When I lived in a house with a smaller yard, I push-mowed the grass, but when I moved into my house in Grafton, WV, I bought a riding mower because the house was on the hillside and had nearly an acre of grass to mow. I did push mow around the edges and used the weed eater about once a month. And I try to keep a garden and fruit trees and putter around the house and yard - the last 2 years, I've had to dig a ditch across my yard because of standing water - talk about exercise! That just about killed me!

The house I just moved into sits on about 1/2 acre, and the yard is relatively flat. My great grandmother lived here when I was a kid and I mowed that lawn every summer with a push mower, so I figure my riding mower isn't going to see as much use as push mowing is excellent exercise!

I know I am blessed, though - even at 380 lbs, my weight didn't really stop me much from doing whatever I wanted to do. I didn't run, of course, but I didn't think nothing of walking for a few miles while on vacation, cleaning my house which at the time involved 2 flights of steps, or helping my parents cut fire wood, work in the yard, or whatever. I really do think it has a lot to do with my build, though. I'm built big - I'm 5'8" with wide shoulders and hips, solid legs and big, wide feet. My body frame is stout and I've been big since I was a kid.

Course, I don't except to not have troubles stemming from that as I get older. I've twisted my right knee 4 times in 12 years, and my dad's side of the family has a history of bad hips, which I can already tell are wearing. All that extra weight can't have been good for my joints, I know :(

I really do sympathize with those of you who have troubles. My sister really struggles with pain and limited mobility, as does my dad. My dad broke his back in 2011 and has been having troubles ever since. He had to have both hips replaced since then, back surgery to fuse discs together, and he still is in constant pain every day.
  • rabidhamster87
    rabidhamster87 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    @amy_kee To give credit where credit is due, Ed actually cleans more than I do! He's a lot better at keeping up with it as it happens like you said. That's still something I'm working on though. I tend to let it go all week and then pay the price on the weekend while he will usually take 30 mins out of his day every day to do something -- even if it's just one load of laundry, vacuuming one room, putting away the dishes, etc. I'm trying to do better, but I'm just so exhausted after work!

@Bmeadows380 Wow! You've stayed busy! That all sounds like great exercise... I bet you have a lot of muscle under your weight! I completely understand about your build too. I'm 5'8 myself and I like to say I'm from "hearty peasant stock." :D People are always shocked when they find out my weight and then will say I carry it well. I think that's because it's well distributed. A lot of it everywhere! Funny enough, my grandmother's last name was Meadows. Maybe we're related!
  • Mellykay88
    Mellykay88 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 I’ve never felt very limited either. I’ve always been big so I guess my joints have adapted (wonder what they’ll think when I get to goal?) I’ve always gotten up and down off of the floor, carried heavy stuff, etc. I did get winded on longer walks or going up stairs, but nothing too bad. I think my limits were/are fitting into things. I stopped going to amusement parks around age 14, because I was afraid I wouldn’t fit a ride and that would have been so embarrassing. I barely fit into desks at school and college, I managed but it was a squeeze, same with restaurant booths. Seatbelts had started to be a problem and the list goes on.

I am comfortably fitting into booths now! It’s funny, waitresses always just put me at a table before, now they ask if I want a table or booth! That’s a fun feeling. I have twin nieces who are almost 5 months old now, when they are 4 I want to take them to Disney World and I am confident I’ll fit all the rides when that time comes!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @amy_kee To give credit where credit is due, Ed actually cleans more than I do! He's a lot better at keeping up with it as it happens like you said. That's still something I'm working on though. I tend to let it go all week and then pay the price on the weekend while he will usually take 30 mins out of his day every day to do something -- even if it's just one load of laundry, vacuuming one room, putting away the dishes, etc. I'm trying to do better, but I'm just so exhausted after work!

@Bmeadows380 Wow! You've stayed busy! That all sounds like great exercise... I bet you have a lot of muscle under your weight! I completely understand about your build too. I'm 5'8 myself and I like to say I'm from "hearty peasant stock." :D People are always shocked when they find out my weight and then will say I carry it well. I think that's because it's well distributed. A lot of it everywhere! Funny enough, my grandmother's last name was Meadows. Maybe we're related!

I"m with you, hamster! I'm so tired when I get home from work - and I'm coming to realize its mentally tired - that my tendency to procrastinate kicks in badly and I'll think "I'll do that tomorrow or on the weekend". I've done it that way for so long its a little weird for me to consider doing laundry or cleaning house any other day of the week other than Saturday! lol

The branch of the Meadows family that I stem came to Virginia in 1660, and most of us spread across the Virginias and into the south. From what I've found about my family tree, they tended to have huge families with a surprising number of their children surviving to adulthood, and they lived to be old coots :) The Meadows I know also tended to move around a lot. I know of 3 different branches of the Meadows family in my area alone. If your grandmother was from Virginia or West Virginia, there's a good chance we're distantly related!

Mellykay88 wrote: »
    @bmeadows380 I’ve never felt very limited either. I’ve always been big so I guess my joints have adapted (wonder what they’ll think when I get to goal?) I’ve always gotten up and down off of the floor, carried heavy stuff, etc. I did get winded on longer walks or going up stairs, but nothing too bad. I think my limits were/are fitting into things. I stopped going to amusement parks around age 14, because I was afraid I wouldn’t fit a ride and that would have been so embarrassing. I barely fit into desks at school and college, I managed but it was a squeeze, same with restaurant booths. Seatbelts had started to be a problem and the list goes on.

I am comfortably fitting into booths now! It’s funny, waitresses always just put me at a table before, now they ask if I want a table or booth! That’s a fun feeling. I have twin nieces who are almost 5 months old now, when they are 4 I want to take them to Disney World and I am confident I’ll fit all the rides when that time comes!

yep - this is me to a tee! Fitting into things was a struggle for sure - I hated booths in restaurants, and had the same problem with seatbelts and desks at school.
  • Mellykay88
    Options
    I made it to my doctors appointment today! The doctor doesn’t think I have PCOS which surprised me a little bit, but he put me on meds to regulate things and checked my thyroid levels.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    How is V-day going for everyone? I can't wait for my kids to get home so I can see all their adorable little valentines that they got! I think we'll just spend our day outside today (One of the perks of living in Florida.) and they'll ride bikes and scooters and whatnot. I'll get some steps in and maybe get a visit from the neighbor's cat who is super duper friendly and loves to visit when he sees us outside. I hope you're all having a great day!
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    We decided not to do V day this year. I’ve just spent almost £500 on my treadmill and it seems we’re about to buy daughter a horse, that I’m hoping to ride too when I’ve lost enough weight. So I came in from work and did an hour on the treadmill, just about to have a nice omelette for dinner and then going to do another 25 minutes on the treadmill. I’m determined to get 10k steps a day!

How’s everyone else doing?
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I got me and hubby a meat smoker and cooker , table top from QCV if I am going to be eating all this meat might as well do it right LOL plus I can throw a wrapped potato in it for my daughter , and she can have a baked potato . you do a whole chicken in it and veggies if ya want . :smiley: can't wait for it to get here .
    we did give each other cards today , but that was all.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @tammyfranks2 Meat smoker? I like the way you think!

• CheezWhiz88
    CheezWhiz88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing well. I have been a bit crazy with work and trying to meet a deadline so I haven’t been active. Hoping you are all staying strong! We have been hammered with snow by me so I have felt a little stuck but I currently am away on some business and am trying my hardest to stay the course!
  • Mellykay88
    Options
    Hi guys! I am laying in bed mulling over a huge decision I’ve got to make! I’ve been offered a job at another agency (10 minutes from home compared to the 45 minutes I’m driving now), doing the same job I do now, for more $$. Typing this out, it seems like a simple decision, but my anxious brain always complicates things. I feel guilty leaving my agency, but that guilt is the only con I can come up with when I list out the pros and cons. I know my supervisor will completely understand my decision to leave, as will all of my co-workers... I just hate having the “I quit” conversation.
  • meldwel
    meldwel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The first thing that came to my mind was “are you happy where you are now?” Sometimes that makes all the difference. I’ve been there before where the grass wasn’t greener on the other side. If you are just content where you are now then I’d say go for the new agency. Good Luck!