Yogurt

Options
dklibert
dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
Has anyone tried making yogurt in their Instant Pot? Please share your experiences, tips, techniques and recipes. I just watched a video about it and I think it is time to give it a try. Would love to hear what you have tried.https://youtu.be/HpBkYSj0Ja4

Replies

• madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I make it in mine once a week. I love my homemade stuff more than the store bought as I don't like mine as tart, and it is much cheaper for me to make as I use it in curries, soups, breakfast, etc.

I use whole milk (organic from Aldi) at about $3.00 a half gallon, and Fage plain as my starter. It takes me literally only a few minutes to do as after the milk gets to temp, I put the pot in an ice bath for 4 minutes (I timed it a bunch of times to see how quickly it came down to temp). Then I throw it back in overnight, pull out in morning, put in strainer. It does take more time than just buying something at the grocery store, but as above, I like the taste and consistency of mine better. I think that this is all personal taste.

I have yet to have any issues other than when I tried using raw milk (way too thin) or nonfat randomly bought store named yogurt and skim milk (didn't work as well for some reason).

Note, if I didn't have a yogurt strainer (bought for about $15) I wouldn't like it as much as I like my yogurt uber thick and strain mine in the fridge for at least a day. I use the whey for baking as well as thinning yogurt for homemade dressings.

• madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    crazyravr is right...it isn't a money game changer. I should have made that a little clearer

I simply like mine better than store bought and don't have a life on Friday nights (obviously) :)
  • dklibert
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts and tips. I kind of think it will be something I try once but we will see. ;)
  • dklibert
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    dklibert wrote: »
    Thanks for your thoughts and tips. I kind of think it will be something I try once but we will see. ;)

Did you make it?

Nope not yet. I had to rush away to help a sick friend. So still on the to do list. I will let you know when I do.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,579 Member
    Options
    How funny, the video you posted is the same one I used to make yogurt! I've made it twice and actually like the taste better than most store-bought yogurts. I made it with full fat milk, Fage 5% yogurt, and sweetened condensed milk. It's more calories and sugar than I'd prefer with adding the condensed milk, but I haven't played around with it to make it less yet.