Dairy issues

Options
annk18
annk18 Posts: 85 Member
After 7 years of being gluten free, I am having some gastric issues that I think maybe due to Dairy. Is it possible to become Dairy intolerant in my 70s?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If you have Celiac Disease it is often the case that dairy will bother you too. Perhaps after eating GF clean for a good length of time the issues from the grain proteins have disappeared leaving the dairy issues more obvious. It's also not uncommon for people to get adult-onset allergies and sensitivity. Try an elimination diet for dairy products for a few weeks and see if you find a difference. What are some of your present symptoms? It is hard when you love cheese as much as I do, lol. (Even more than things like toast and cookies)
  • annk18
    Options
    I Emily Gluten Sensitive, but my husband is celiac, and so we follow the same strict diet. My symptoms include gaseness, bloating and some stomach pain. I also occasionally get alternating hard and loose stools.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Have you tried sheep dairy (ie. real Romano cheese) or goat dairy with the same results?
  • annk18
    Options
    Unfortunately yes with regard to the goat cheese. I haven't checked sheep cheese yet. I am traveling now, but when I get home I will probably try to go dairy free for a few weeks and see how I do. Then if all is well, I can try adding back some sheep cheese to see how I do.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Here's a couple of helpful literature reviews of articles in ReasearchGate (scholarly publication - evidence based science):
    https://researchgate.net/publication/282129698_Lactose_Intolerance_in_Adults_Biological_Mechanism_and_Dietary_Management

Here's a quote from a study in 2012: https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3437438/
    Lactose is the disaccharide found in milk and dairy products. Absorption of lactose requires lactase activity in the small intestinal brush border. Hypolactasia, or lactose malabsorption (LM), exists in three distinct forms: congenital, primary and secondary. Congenital lactase deficiency is associated with the least lactase activity. It is a lifelong disorder characterized by failure to thrive and infantile diarrhea from the first exposure to breast milk. Congenital hypolactasia, a single autosomal recessive disorder[1], is extremely rare, with only around 40 cases having been reported.

Primary adult-type hypolactasia, an autosomal recessive condition resulting from the physiological decline of lactase enzyme activity in the intestinal cells, occurs in a large proportion of individuals. A single nucleotide polymorphism, C ⁄T-13910, 14 kb upstream the lactase gene, has recently been correlated with lactase persistence ⁄non persistence in several populations[2,3]. Secondary causes of hypolactasia, such as celiac disease, gastroenteritis and Crohn’s disease, may lead to transient lactase deficiency and appearance of abdominal symptoms similar to those of primary LM.

The onset of adult-type hypolactasia is correlated to age: lactase activity is highest at birth and declines after weaning[4,5]. The frequency of this condition varies according to ethnicity[6], with reported lower prevalence in Northern Europe (< 5%), compared to Southern Europe (70%-80%) and Southeast Asia (almost 100%). LM represents a well-known cause of abdominal disorders, like diarrhoea, bloating, excessive flatus and abdominal pain. However, sugar malabsorption does not necessarily result in the development of intolerance symptoms; in fact, only about one-third to half of lactose maldigesters are also intolerants.
  • canadjineh
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You could try, after a period of no dairy at all (for intestinal recovery), adding one lactose free dairy product at a time to see if that makes a difference to you.
    https://thespruce.com/what-is-lactose-free-cheese-591226

You should be OK with butter as it only has trace amounts, but definitely with ghee since it is strictly the fat without any whey/milk solids in it.

https://americandairy.com/news-and-events/dairy-diary/food-and-recipes/greek-yogurt-for-the-lactose-and-gluten-intolerant.stml

If none of it seems to make much of a difference... you are likely stuck with a FODMAP diet:
    onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2009.06149.x/abstract
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Not sure if you've noticed but I post articles from MedScape (med professional continuing ed site) concerning gluten intolerance, celiac disease, and associated etiologies. Here's the link: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10104290/medscape-medical-professionals-continuing-ed-site-celiac-disease-gluten-sensitivity-articles#latest