Class and Practice Check in - Week of 2/12/2018

As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every week, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- Do today what others won't, tomorrow do what others can't.

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited February 2018
    Ooh, I'm here first!

Went to class tonight/last night/Monday[delete as applicable, depending on your time-zone and/or sleep cycle, until the preceding clause computes]. I'm back to doing max-length classes now. This is prolly unwise, but y'know...

Had fun, but feel like I have a list of areas as long as my arm to improve. Eh, onwards and upwards.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Finally got back to my home practice last night - it's been much too long... I kept telling myself "tomorrow" - because there is always something in the way. 1x/week class isn't enough to even maintain the skillset, so much as advance.

Did a 30 min practice - warm up, forms and stretching. Nothing too crazy or strenuous for first day back. More to come!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    edited February 2018
    Did class last night and today/Tuesday and Wednesday. Medium length and short, respectively. And that's me done for the week!

I can feel myself coming down with a rotten cold right this minute (I suppose I've only gone and given it to everyone else. How generous of me), but if I wasn't, my resolution would be to double down on physio exercises on Thursday and Friday, plus form practice.
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    I went to my dojo's afternoon class, and *gasp* I was sempai! It was an unusually small class filled with beginners, but somehow it still felt good. It was the first time I had hit the mat in six weeks because of an injury. It felt good to be back. I was welcomed back by a similarly ranked fellow throwing me several feet. It was good.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Worked on black belt forms last night - and learned that practicing in a confined space has completely jacked up my turns and spacing on my 4th dan form.

May have to start doing early morning park workouts.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    My instructor once looked at me across a crowded dojang and said, "good pattern, but it looks like you've been practising in a too small space".

I had.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Tuesday - kata class - I've nearly mastered my nunchuck kata...just need to make it sharper
    Thursday - sparring class
    Saturday - Les Mills Combat class at the YMCA