What Type of Vegetarian Are You?

Options

Replies

• angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    im the animal lover mainly, but dont think eating meat of hunting animals is necessarily a bad thing, it just nature, but I refuse to support factory farming, locking animals up in tiny cages and filling them with hormones and crap and pretty much torturing them just to eat them, that is what im against and why I became a vegetarian
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Initially it was about 65% taste and 35% animal lover. It's still about 50% taste, 15% animal lover, 25% environmentalist, and 10% health nut. My husband does eat meat, but we try to source his meat from more sustainable and animal-friendly sources.
  • VeggieGal777
    VeggieGal777 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Animals are my friends and I don't eat my friends. :smile:
  • rorolpzplz
    Options
    2: Animal Lover:heart:
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Definitely Animal Lover, although the process of trying to be healthier is what convinced me to finally make the choice to be a proper veggie so partly number 1 too.
  • IrishGabriella
    IrishGabriella Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian because I don't like eating dead bodies. :sick:

I dislike when I tell people I'm a vegetarian and they start trying to argue with me or challenge me. My family still think it's a phase I'm going through, I've been a vegetarian for about 25 yrs.:laugh:
  • shabone
    shabone Posts: 18
    Options
    I am in category 1 and 3. I never liked meat, even as a child and I believe it is a healthier diet.
  • skatemom61
    skatemom61 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I never liked the taste of meat as a child. In my teens became aware of the treatment of factory farm animals and discovered Buddhism. So that was that. Do no harm.
  • skatemom61
    skatemom61 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    me too!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    A bit of each. I was raised on slabs of meat and potatoes and butter and gained a lot of weight as a teen. I cut meat and all of the meat-related foods my parents served because I wanted to lose weight, the taste didn't appeal to me, and it seemed kinda gross that there was blood and dead stuff inside of me. I lost something like 50 lbs in 4 months.

Then, college happened and I gained back all of the weight in alcohol and chips with queso. Woooo...
  • Newme318
    Newme318 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm a Raised Vegetarian! There are only 3 of us in my family that are, the other 2 eat Seafood..I do not!! I do, however, eat animal by-products(eggs) don't like the taste of them but I was raised on them. Serious trying to take a leap of faith and become Vegan.
  • sion9
    sion9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If they're not eating meat, they're alright by me.

I'd endorse the vegetarian diet to anyone for whatever reason suits them best. My step-dad recently decided not to eat meat to be healthier. It would've been fairly stupid of me to judge him on his reasoning whilst ignoring his actions.
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The animal lover vegetarian, but it has definitely made me realise more about nutrition so although I'm not a "Health Nut" I feel better as I now eat way more fruit/veggies.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Religious/ethical vegetarian-in-the making. I'm transitioning to lacto-ovo, with some fish occasionally. I'm Hindu, and while vegetarianism is not a requirement in Hinduism (or Buddhism), it's an ideal to strive for.
  • trevorphilipsinc
    trevorphilipsinc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I started my vegetarianism because a friend bet me I couldn't go without meat for a week...well, it kind of stuck! When I lost 20 pounds in a month too, that was just icing on the cake, haha.
  • kortthedork91
    kortthedork91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Isn't this a bit inaccurate? There certainly are different classes of vegetarianism ranging to light pescatarian to raw vegan. I myself am an ovo-lacto vegetarian, which simply means that I still eat milk and eggs. However, by your description, I'm a health nut, and I have a bit of an issue with that. I drink green smoothies, I eat organic whenever possible, etc, all for the health benefits. Yes, I promote a mostly meatless lifestyle (I also enjoy the occasional sushi roll), but mostly to people that I personally know and know that they are struggling with their health and perhaps weight as well because this lifestyle change has worked so well for me. I've been diagnosed with a myriad of diseases and chronic illness (none contagious, btw) and eliminating meat from my diet has made a HUGE change in what I'm able to do in my daily life. When I recommend (never preach) this lifestyle to people, it is out of genuine concern for their health. I do not believe that I am above anyone, nor do I believe that vegetarian is the ONLY way for a person to be truly healthy. What I'm getting at is that generalizations like this are very rarely wholly accurate. I am in no way denying that there are militant vegetarians out there, I've had more than my fair share of their judgment and criticism. Just please be mindful the next time you think to make such a large generalization.
  • yogaveg
    yogaveg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I began my vegetarian lifestyle as a search for a more compassionate lifestyle so I guess you could say that I am the animal lover. But now I couldn't imagine liking the taste of meat or eggs. And I care more for my body than to feed it with junk. All in all, it was a good decision to go vegetarian and now vegan :smile:
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't consider fear of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (bse) being "a health nut". do you?
  • rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    A bit of each. I was raised on slabs of meat and potatoes and butter and gained a lot of weight as a teen. I cut meat and all of the meat-related foods my parents served because I wanted to lose weight, the taste didn't appeal to me, and it seemed kinda gross that there was blood and dead stuff inside of me. I lost something like 50 lbs in 4 months.

Then, college happened and I gained back all of the weight in alcohol and chips with queso. Woooo...

There is a interesting "link" made between Veg and Wait Loss.What I see here is that a lot of people became a veggi just because "veg" makes them lose weight and it had nothing to do with "animal love". Veggi seems to be similar to some boiled/raw veg.

As a fact some of the Veg foods can make you really heavy than any meat can do.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group and this is the first discussion I've read. I have to say I find your original post interesting, but it was your 2nd post that got to me.
    Aurora1525 wrote: »
    The reason I asked this question was because I think the "Health Nut Vegetarian" gives vegetarianism a bad name (no offense if this is you). Yesterday someone at the grocery store asked me if I was vegetarian (what gave it away? The fact that there's no meat on the conveyor belt?). I was more than happy to reply, "Yes!" to which the cashier said, "Oh, so what...you only eat vegetables?" UGH. Because that's what people think vegetarianism is --- just a bunch of crazy people who only eat raw vegetables. My belief is that too many carnivores run into the "Health Nut Vegetarian" as opposed to other types and get this sense that yes, that's exactly what vegetarians eat. "Gotta eat healthy!!! Love my green smoothies!!" they tell carnivores. Please, health nut vegetarians, shut up. It drives me absolutely crazy when carnivores respond this way to me and my vegetarianism because of you. (No offense to you, of course.)
    I truly found it offensive and it almost made me want to leave the group and keep searching for a Vegetarian group where people didnt split hairs and label others who live and think and eat a little differently than them. By your theory Im a health nut whos "giving vegetarians a bad rep". Wow. Funny Im feeling that about you, no offense to you of course.

Ive been both Vegan and Vegetarian for what started as health reasons. Im now Vegetarian because its what works for me. Im happy, comfortable and much healthier as a Vegetarian. I like smoothies and have shopped at our farmers markets and our local health food store long before becoming vegetarian. I used to be a Diabetic with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Now I am free of those ailments and the multiple medications for them.
    Thank you kortthedork91 for saying it so well,
    I do not believe that I am above anyone, nor do I believe that vegetarian is the ONLY way for a person to be truly healthy. What I'm getting at is that generalizations like this are very rarely wholly accurate. I am in no way denying that there are militant vegetarians out there, I've had more than my fair share of their judgment and criticism. Just please be mindful the next time you think to make such a large generalization.

Isn't a group meant to simply be a place for generally like minded people to support and encourage each other? I don't mind a healthy debate and food for thought, but please dont label and blame others for thinking and living little differently. People who question my choices out of ignorance (lack of knowledge having not yet learned) are not offensive. People who react with stupidity (intolerance, arrogance and rudeness) can offend me. Unfortunately life brings both on a regular basis. Its just the way it is. What perpetuates change is when we respond, not react, to both with common courtesy.
    I confess this post may have slipped a bit into the reaction side rather than the response side, but I truly hope it is food for thought. Vegitarian food of course.