Valter Longo Fasting Mimicking Diet.

Options
driefishin
driefishin Posts: 238 Member
I read Valter Longo's "The Longevity Diet". Lot of interesting research.
So last week I did the low calorie Fasting Mimicking Diet. Stayed between 550 and 750 calories per day for 5 days. Wasnt too bad. First two days were simple. Day 4 sucked.
My day 5 ended last Thursday night. I was hungry and ate too much. I paid for it. Really bad night. Didnt think my digestive system would be so off track, and i should have started back with something light and simple.
I plan to do this 5 day low calorie diet again next month.
Thanks for starting this group. Looking forward to seeing other's experiences.
Curious to see how the next few fasts go and how they affect my body.

Replies

• 90kgToNewMe
    90kgToNewMe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi

That’s amazing that you managed the diet yourself. Did you make the diet high fat and manage to keep the protein at 10%? Let us know what you ate.

I have just finished my first Prolon FMD. I did it Friday - Tuesday. I felt at my worst on day 2 and has lots of food cravings on day 4, but all up it went well. I am just so pleased I could complete the diet and not cave! It’s Wednesday evening here in Australia and I’m feeling really good at the end of my transition day!

I will probably do Prolon again in May.

Am excited by this group and hearing everyone’s experiences.

Katrina
  • Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I too did it by myself. 10% protein, 20% carb and 70% fat. I make my food logs open for friends to see. How was the Prolon food?

Usually my first day is my worst. This month was my second time doing it, but the first was back in November. We plan to do it once a month as well. This month I had awesome results tho with a net loss of 6 lbs (8 came off and then 2 back on when my intestines had more bulk from eating more food). Glad you both joined. I couldn't believe no one else hadn't made a group for this plan yet! Hope more join us and share too!
  • 90kgToNewMe
    Options
    I liked the Prolon food. I found it tasty, but obviously things get very tasty when you are hungry. :p The soups were very good and I enjoyed the kale crackers which were made from flax. I think I might try to make my own they tasted so good.

I could see how you could prepare the food yourself. For example breakfast was a 280 calorie nut bar, made with almonds, macadamias, pecans, coconut oil and flax. You could probably replicate by just eating nuts for breakfast.

Nevertheless, for various reasons I will probably stick with Prolon this year.

I will look at your food logs to see what you ate. Thank you.

Hopefully more people will join the group.

• sparkle1114
    sparkle1114 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am signed up for Prolon and finished my first round Feb 28. Planning to start my second round March 18th, if I get my shipment by then. It was relatively easy, and I too really liked the food. My hardest day was day 2. I felt really great on it! I really noticed a lot of clarity.

I have a question for you all. Do you keep up with exercise during the fast, or do you take it easy physically for those 5 days?

Thanks,
    --Julia
  • 90kgToNewMe
    Options
    Hi Julia

Day 2 was hardest for me too! I went for walks and did Yoga but didn’t exercise hard during the fast. For me it’s probably the downside of doing FMD as I broke my exercise routine. But everyone is different and I’m sure some people will be able to exercise as normal.

I’ve heard that Prolon gets easier each time you do it, so maybe sticking to an exercise routine gets easier too.
  • Uneeknitter
    Options
    I liked the Prolon food. I found it tasty, but obviously things get very tasty when you are hungry. :p The soups were very good and I enjoyed the kale crackers which were made from flax. I think I might try to make my own they tasted so good.

Nevertheless, for various reasons I will probably stick with Prolon this year.
    I get that. If I had the money I probably still would be doing Shakeology. But I can't afford it, nor can I afford the Prolon stuff. I think I do ok with my food and if it works, which it has, then go for it! I am not a big believer of change just for change sake. I like to see results.
  • Uneeknitter
    Options
    Hi all,

I am signed up for Prolon and finished my first round Feb 28. Planning to start my second round March 18th, if I get my shipment by then. It was relatively easy, and I too really liked the food. My hardest day was day 2. I felt really great on it! I really noticed a lot of clarity.

I have a question for you all. Do you keep up with exercise during the fast, or do you take it easy physically for those 5 days?

Thanks,
    --Julia

Glad it is going well for you! Personally, any time I am doing calorie restriction I always cut back but not cut out exercise. So when I was a runner, I would do 5 miles on a regular basis, but cut that back to 2 miles or just do a long walk instead on my calorie restricted days.
  • Uneeknitter
    Options
    Today was day 1 of our 2nd month in a row. We did 21 days instead of 25 because I didn't want to start mid-week with it. Unfortunately, I was super sick yesterday so haven't been able to start on solid food until just this afternoon. But I figure that didn't hurt me at all so will finish off strong with the rest of the week.
  • sparkle1114
    Options
    I expect my prolon shipment tomorrow, so I think I'll start the FMD on Thursday. This will be the second round for me. Do you guys track the stuff in your diary during the FMD? Since its so fixed, I wasn't going to, but it might be good to have a record. Thoughts?
  • sparkle1114
    Options
    Today was day 1 of our 2nd month in a row. We did 21 days instead of 25 because I didn't want to start mid-week with it. Unfortunately, I was super sick yesterday so haven't been able to start on solid food until just this afternoon. But I figure that didn't hurt me at all so will finish off strong with the rest of the week.

I hope you are feeling better!
  • Uneeknitter
    Options
    I expect my prolon shipment tomorrow, so I think I'll start the FMD on Thursday. This will be the second round for me. Do you guys track the stuff in your diary during the FMD? Since its so fixed, I wasn't going to, but it might be good to have a record. Thoughts?

YES! Just ignore it telling you that you didn't eat enough though. LOL
  • sparkle1114
    Options

LOL! I got my package today but decided to hold off until Monday the 19th since there are some family activities this weekend.
  • 90kgToNewMe
    Options

LOL! I got my package today but decided to hold off until Monday the 19th since there are some family activities this weekend.

Yes, it’s all about finding a 5 day window! Good luck for next week.

• 90kgToNewMe
    Options
    Let us know how it goes as I’d be interested to know if it gets easier each time you do the diet.
  • Uneeknitter
    Options

Sparkle114....how did it go?
  • tg701
    tg701 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started the Prolon on Monday this week. So, I'm into day 3 now. I haven't found it especially difficult. The first day seemed like a LOT of food. I notice day 3 looks a little sparse. lol The food is just ok to me. I find it all manageable except I have a hard time with the minestrone soup (something about the texture/color...I'm not sure). And, even though it's only water weight, I have lost 3.4 lbs in 2 days. So, I'll take it. I'm determined to finish the week out since I've spent the money on it. Hope it improves all the blood work; my cholesterol and CRP are a little higher than they should be. I'm also hoping that the Prolon this week gets rid of some of my junk food cravings. Wish me luck!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Hi tg701 ! I hope the diet is going well! I am going to try the FMD starting this coming Sunday. I will be doing it myself (no Prolon package), so I am doing a bit of planning now. I'd love to hear about your experience!