Should I stop tracking macros?

Options
kalincombs
kalincombs Posts: 23 Member
Hey guys, I need some advice! So for about 3 weeks now, I have been using MFP to track my macros, but lately I'm starting to consider other methods of healthy eating.

It seems like everyone in the health and nutrition world tracks macros these days, so when I jumped back into healthy eating recently, I figured I'd give it a try. I calculated my numbers on IIFYM and got 111 protein, 56 fat, and 137 carbs. These numbers have proven very difficult to stick to. As a vegetarian, I very rarely can manage to hit my protein goal for the day. When I do, its because I'm forcing myself to incorporate excessive amounts of protein powder and protein bars, which is expensive, unnatural, and just not fun. I often go over on my fat macros as well, because many vegetarian things that are high protein are also high fat, such as avocados and nuts. Day by day, falling short of my goals leaves me frustrated and disappointed. The high amounts of protein also leave my stomach feeling bloated and gross.

As someone who has been very interested in health and fitness my whole life, I have always cared about the foods that I put into my body. I know the choices I am making are healthy, and yet when I plug them into MFP I fall short of my goals and am disappointed nearly every day. So, I ask your advice--should I stop tracking macros (but still count calories) and just continue eating a diet whole, natural, unprocessed foods? I want to lose about 5 more pounds before April and get a bit toned on my legs, butt, and stomach. So is it better for me to just tough it out and continue doing something that always leaves me feeling bad or should I just stop worrying?

Replies

• alybran
    alybran Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Tracking macros is great and all, but I don't think it's necessarily the best way to track your food and lose weight. Especially if it makes you feel bad. It's obviously important to eat balanced meals (not just load up on carbs lol) but if your diet is mainly composed of whole foods, I wouldn't worry as much. I think you can change the settings on MFP to not show macros.

I sometimes even go off MFP completely and pretty much rely on intuitive eating. (Note: When I do this I usually end up maintaining but yeah.)