Need Extra Support

Rocky_Runa
Rocky_Runa Posts: 140 Member
Anyone else out there feel like they need extra support? In addition to obesity, I struggle with depression. Meds - psych as well as back pain meds - have caused me to blow up to almost 360 lbs in 2014. Since then, I have stayed between 300-350 lbs for the last four years. I am fed up! AND, I have a severely hard time encouraging and pushing myself to do what is right. I need more active friends on My Fitness Pal. Is anyone else out there feeling the same way? I have just gotten back into town and am getting back on the wagon. I even have a goal. I have a friend that has invited me to where she is stationed with the Army in Puerto Rico. I would love to comfortably sit in an airplane seat. So... please comment here if you are interested. I know some of you have already friended me via My Fitness Pal and have been encouraging. It would be great to grow my base of friends and give as well as get encouragement.

Have a great week everyone!!

Replies

• MzCara148
    MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
    Sounds like we have similar stories. I also suffer from depression and back pain (after an accident). I also have an autoimmune disorder and the meds I was on (prednisone) was a big part of how I put on 100 lbs in 2 years. I feel like I had no time to get used to the weight increase slowly - I just ballooned - and the sudden onset of joint pain stinks, to put it mildly. Feel free to friend me. :)
  • bigghunny
    bigghunny Posts: 549 Member
    @RunaMarti I know exactly where you are comming from. I take depression and anxiety meds. I expressed to my Dr. My concerns about trying to lose weight. All he could say was keep eating right excersise. My weight loss will be slow because of meds. There is days I want to give up. I just keep pushing and have some NSV.
    All support is welcome and needed. Please add me if you like.
    Melanie
  • gin_rummy
    gin_rummy Posts: 222 Member
    Oh absolutely! Depression, anxiety, back trouble, all kinds of joint problems (which are NOT weight related, they go back to childhood and are a contributing factor to how I got so big and NOT the other way around - but try telling a doctor that especially when my medical records got lost when moving between GPs in my early 20s!)

Feel free to friend me (and that goes for anyone else too) - I need all the help I can get, and I find that supporting others helps me a lot also!
  • rabidhamster87
    rabidhamster87 Posts: 74 Member
    I definitely need extra support! I've struggled with depression for about 20 years. (Since puberty pretty much.) I actually fell off the wagon about Valentine's Day, stayed off the wagon for my birthday, and now I'm back. It's so hard to keep it up day-to-day. I don't really know how to keep from slipping back into old habits.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I can commiserate! :( the last 2 months have been such a struggle, and I feel like I've just stalled out since I hit 100 lbs lost. Last week I was finally able to post a 3 lb loss, but stepped on the scale this morning and there was those 3 darn lbs back. I KNOW its water weight and other factors - I know it, but its so frustrating to feel like I'm spinning my wheels and not going anywhere! I want to keep losing, I want to keep having to buy new pants for work lol but I'm also to the point where I'm hungry and feeling deprived. I'm tired all the time, and its still not quite warm enough to walk outside with any consistency - that and it's been raining almost nonstop for a week now, and the forecast for next week ain't much better.

Depression doesn't help, either. I've never been officially diagnosed, but I've struggled with it for years, and it just makes things so much harder because I'm the sort that internalizes and that makes it so hard to see my accomplishments and achievements! The hymn "Count Your Blessings" always seemed harsh to me - it says that when things get down, just count your blessings - and I've even had folks toss that at me or at family members, and I thought it was so heartless to do that because in my experience, when you are mired down in depression, you can't see your blessings to even count them!
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    I totally Understand , with the back pain it makes it hard to exercise and with the depression you want comfort foods , both of those things are my reasons for not losing weight for years , not back pain but leg pain and I have arthritis in my neck c5 and c6 are really bad , but i need to lose over 100 pounds before they will even fix it .

But this web site has been a god send , I keep up with my foods i eat and talk to awesome people (like you) and it helps so much , touching base here keeps me honest . Plus I know if I do slip telling the truth here will be met with understanding , not put downs or make me feel like I failed .

so glad to meet you and please add me , I need to lose over 200 pounds .
  • Rocky_Runa
    You are all so awesome!! I really look forward to us keeping up with each other and encouraging each other. Just bought groceries today and bought more fruits and veggies than usual - which is usually zero. Hoping to make goal next week to stay within calorie goal - not just track. Been comfort eating all month due to bad emotional anniversary. Have to pull in the reigns!!

What are some ways ya’ll deal with hunger? I have been a binge eater since I was a kid. I have about 160 lbs to lose and that is going to mean having to learn how to deal with emotions instead of using food as my drug of choice. Let me know if you’ve found anything to be helpful!!
  • MzCara148
    Here are somethings that have been helping me.

1. Realizing that if you eat the right things - you can really eat a LOT! For example, corned beef and cabbage is comfort food for me. I make it by throwing corned beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage in my crock pot. If you load up on the cabbage and carrots, you can have a decent portion of potato and corned beef and the calories are reasonable.

2. Keeping semi-junky treats that don't do much damage in the house. A bowl of strawberries might not light your fire, but weigh out a couple of servings of RediWhip on them and they are divine. I get a lot of fiber one snacks, brownie squares and lemon squares. I really like them, if feels like I got a "treat", they are high in fiber, have 5 grams of protein and between 100 and 150 calories.

3. If I made something particularly yummy try and stretch it through the whole meal. Last night I made philly cheese steaks with oven fries and a salad. Normally I would inhale the philly cheese steak right away (and it was a small one to stay in my calories). I'd take a couple of bites, put it down and have some salad or potato to make that yummy sandwich last through my whole dinner.

4. Don't eat things you don't like! You only have so many calories to spend - if you spend a lot of them on shrimp and you don't like shrimp, you will feel deprived.

OK - I guess all of those are different way of doing one thing, making sure I don't feel deprived. It makes it easier for me to not go off the deep end. And one last one when I was much smaller and could pull it off - if I knew I wanted to eat something really bad (like take out) working out like crazy to earn myself some excercise calories.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    I just found sugar free jello again with the extra whipped topping from a can only 1 carb for 2 teaspoons , (i am doing low carb) what a treat . 15 calories and 1 carb , I can have that a few times a day LOL I also make my own fat bombs , extra fat very low carbs , chocolate and peanut butter and cream cheese , so yeah Yum , I eat that for lunch or breakfast . also I started doing the whey chocolate powder and water , sounds gross I know , but really cold and some sweetener(stevia) it's not to bad and gives me some vitamins . but mostly I eat protein and veggies and cheese . not a great fan of eggs but do eat them too. but what I have been trying to do the most , is NOT think about it , try to have food at my ready so I don't have to think ok what am I going to eat. Always having my foods , I will buy my hubby and kids anything they want to eat , fast food even , but it is funny They are starting to eat like me , like trying what I am eating . They are not fat at all , but it helping my 15 years old's skin , he looks better in his uniform (ROTC) and my daughter who has never weighed over 106 , now weighs 112 , I think that is amazing !!! she is eating my food and gaining , I eat the same and lose ....the power of protein !!! (she does eat chips ) lol sorry I wrote so much , but that is how I do it !!! :smiley:
  • fatoldladyonamission
    fatoldladyonamission Posts: 572 Member
    It’s tough losing weight, I always feel like if I’ve been dieting and lost, for example my 37lbs, then why aren’t I skinny already? Why can’t I just go to the gym once and be fit? It doesn’t seem so fair that it should take so long and so much work to get to where we want to be and that’s what can ,are it depressing I think. That’s why we need each other for support. Count me in for that! I fell off the wagon last week but I’m back and motoring again now, don’t my legs know it lol!
  • Rocky_Runa
    How is everyone? I just got back into town from a week and a half out of cell phone territory. It was awesome. Now I have to get back into the grove. Hope all of you are well!!
  • bigghunny
    bigghunny Posts: 549 Member
    Welcome back! You were missed. Glad your trip went well.
  • MzCara148
    Glad you enjoyed your trip!
  • CheezWhiz88
    CheezWhiz88 Posts: 116 Member
    Anyone is free to add me as a friend- it can be hard when you hear of people who have 5-10 pounds to lose, knowing our journey is much longer, but even if we stumble along the way, we can keep being there for one another! :smile: