March to the Gym

Options
hanlonsk
hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
K, y’all were making me check my calendar today. But, I think I’ve convinced myself it’s March.

Makeup squat day.
5x 45
5x 60
3x 70
5x 85
3x 100
5ishx 110 (this is the real reason I skipped it Tuesday after pt crazy. I would have to look, but IF I’ve ever lifted this before, it was for like 1)

Leg press
3x10 @ 160

Lunges
3x down and back w/ 20 lb dumbbells

Hip thrusts
3 x 10 w/ 35 lb plate.

Seems like I’m missing something, but close enough.

Replies

• TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Plodding along.... raeem to be dropping weight so will have to up calories as I don’t want to stunt my progress :)

1st March - lower body day

Deadlifts - 25kgx10, 45kgx10, 50kgx10,10,8
    Lunges - 15kg plate each hand x 20,20
    Goblet squat - 15kg plate x 15,15
    Single leg assisted squats (green band) - 12,12,12
    Dynamic single leg bridge, crunched & legs in/out x 15,15
    10 min brisk walk on tredmill plus cool down

2nd March - upper body
    OHP - 22.5kg x 9,10,7
    Bent over row - 32.5kg x 8,8,8
    Upright row - 15kg plate x 12,12,12
    Side raised - 3kg db x 12,12,10
    Dip - 12,12,12
    1k brisk tredmill walk
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Loved the title! :D<3
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    Options
    Well done @jayemes !

Love the title.

Close-grip lat pulldowns (simulating chinups) 1 set of 15 x 70 lb, 3 sets of 8 x 75 lb
    Upright row 3 x 10 @ 40 lb a bit too easy
    Bench press 1 set of 7 @ 25 lb, 3 sets of 5 @ 27.5 lb, 4th set could only do 4
    Goblet squat 1 set of 12 @ 27.5 lb, 1 set of 8 @ 30 lb, 1 set of 8 @ 32.5 lb, 1 set of 8 @ 35 lb
    Glute bridges with a 25-lb plate 2 sets of 15

I guess that big lunch helped.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    5minutes stair climber
    .6 miles running
    And jump circuit in pt

Then, at gym:
    5x20 wall balls, 8lb ball
    5x45 second planks
    4x10 push-ups. - last set wasn’t on my knees, this kinda confirmed a notion I had all week that I have a rib out.
    4x10 hanging knee raises.

This is a bit random and blabby, but, this week has represented all the reasons why I love my little power lifter gym
    Saturday afternoon , 2 others at gym folks figure out I am in self induced rough shape, razz me until I get stuff done
    Sunday morning 1 other person in gym, we blast music, do our own thing, and acknowledge each other as I entered and left, but it’s early, and we no like talky before coffee
    I don’t remember Monday... but Tuesday, at 5 pm, when most gyms are chaos, there was two of us to start, maybe grew to 5 of us. We spotted each other when necessary, laughed at/with each other.
    Last night after it was clear I got all anxious cucumber over heavy set of squats, I got cheered for successful completion, and got feedback from a couple different angles.
    Tonight,I show up, in between sets of wall balls I get nutrition info from one of the smart people. And second half was spent by myself... with music blaring... with room to do whatever I wanted.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    so tired of myself - and bodyweight bridges seemed to have been going well - so i tried it in t-space tonight.

65lb deadlifts with slow eccentric on the theory 'if eccentric is good for tendons, well then . . . ' and i think they were a mistake.

and 45 bench and i will say that the bench at least didn't seem like it was all that hard. i didn't go any further than 45, but for whatever it's worth i did do the reps from the 'bottom' - bring the bar down and press from a total and complete stop. i was mostly interested in getting my shoulderblades flat under me and then pushing 'off' them, so square one seems like an okay-enough place to start playing with that.

i haven't wanted to admit it but ever since i started doing all this unilateral glute-med and hamstring stuff, my s.i. and lower back have been doing that frustrating click-catch-and-pop thing. NOT muscle strain and tbh i don't think that it feels like discs. just . . . well, clicking and popping nad little firecracker pinches and *kitten*.

i need to drink a whole lot more water, i think :tongue:
  • hanlonsk
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Deadlift day

Deadlifts
    5 x 85
    5 x 105
    3 x 125
    5 x 155
    3 x 175
    1+x 195 I made 4, and without mixed grip, which I think means it’s a double overhand pr. But I wasn’t reall happy with how these felt. So...
    2 x 195 mixed grip

Bent over rows
    3x10 @ 60

Straight leg deadlifts
    3x12 @ 75

Facepulls
    2 x 20 @ 80
    15 @ 90 - apparently I wasn’t quite ready to move up yet.

Rope crunches
    20 @ 110
    15 @130
    15 @ 150

Then I went home and dropped something heavy on my “good” ankle :(

Below if I got it to work, 175 lbs, and my mixed grip 195. And my little gym that I had all to myself until abs!! Oh, and it really shows too man cookies and not enough running working out lately.

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Funeral for my grandpa was yesterday, so I think I'm feeling like a bit of weight has been lifted up my shoulders now. But I didn't sleep very well, or very long, so Iunno. Maybe I was too excited to go work out?

I certainly know I was ecstatic after this morning's workout! So much that I forgot to come check in here cuz I was riding the wave. Then I crashed hard this afternoon and basically got nothing else done xD

crossfit open 18.2 today. So I started with warming up to 105lbs on the (squat) clean, marking my bar and hand positions for the burpees and I selected Get Through This ~ Art of Dying as my pump-up/start song.

It was a good call =D

12 min CAP to complete:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 for time:
    - Db Front Squat @ 2x20lbs
    - Burpees over bar (scaled version meant I could step in and out of the burpees and stride over the bar, so I did. Saved my legs quite a bit!)

10:50

1RM Clean (any variation)
    I got 95lbs as a power clean like 10s after finishing the burpees. It went up so smooth I looked at the time, hurriedly slapped on a 10lbs bumper on each side and went again. 115 flew up and I caught it really high! Then dropped the bar and jumped for joy! I struggled with this weight, fresh, like a week ago. Today it just flew up like BAM, while my legs were like jelly! =D

I was so happy I felt a bit tired but not that trashed, so I did a 35x3 session.

5 min cluster repeats (do reps, rest a little, do reps on other side, keep repeating):
    - KB swing snatch x5 : 8 rounds / arm at 30lbs, I believe?
    - KB swing clean & jerk x3 : I thought I was doing 2s for the first 9 rounds, then got 3 rounds of 3, so that's 27 reps so 9 rounds of 3, kinda? xD 35lbs on this one
    - Kb power clean x2, push press x4, swing x6, got 6 rounds per arm, @35 here too

then 4 min AMRAP KB TGUs at 20lbs, got 16 reps which is 2 more than "last week" (which was about 2 weeks ago. Oops? lol

I went for a walk this afternoon to loosen up my lower back. Then fell asleep on the couch when I got home xD Caffeine/adrenaline rush came to an end, haha. I gotta clean dishes after dinner for sure.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Then I went home and dropped something heavy on my “good” ankle :(

i shouldn't be laughing, of course. but i am. sorry though.
    krokador wrote: »
    115 flew up and I caught it really high! Then dropped the bar and jumped for joy!

wow, that is great.

my workout today was cleaning up my dad's workshop for him :D well, no; not the whole space. but i cleared his work BENCH. spent pmuch the whole day doing that and other similar things, and it was very worth it.

pecs started hurting right on schedule when i got home this evening. 24 hours after the fact, on the dot. it's uncanny how precise my doms timing can be. but meanwhile up to that point, it was everything around the rear of my shoulder capsule that felt tender and stiff, and i can't explain what a triumph that feeling feels liek.
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Another cold morning in the home garage 8p1ffyjz4xyc.jpeg
    8jjoi80m524w.jpeg
    gym! Brrrrrr! Some good numbers tho as follows and managed to move on to my new bowflex weights in incline bench!

Squats:
    20kg x 10, 55kg x 9,8,8
    Bench press:
    20kg x 10, 35kg x 8,8,8
    Inc bench press (dumbbells):
    12kg x 10,10,8
    Bear complex:
    15kg x 7, 20kg x 5 (plate dyslexia again was supposed to go up in 2.5kg jumps)
  • krokador
    Options
    Whew, in opposition to yesterday, I really did not feel like going this morning xD My brain just wasn't in the game.

Deadlifts & push press supersets. Aim for 4x[6-8]
    185x8, 195x7 (double overhand, grip started failing me here), 195x8 (switch grip, weak side), 205x7 (switch grip, dominant side)
    vs 75x8, 80x8, 82.5x8, 85x8

My heart was pumping something fierce, so that was more the struggle on the presses than strength itself.

Took a good like, 8-10 mins rest here. Intervals did not sound fun...

4 rounds of 30s work/30s rest:
    - 2DB front squats (2x20) -> 13/13/11/14
    - hand release push-ups -> 10/11/10/11
    - sumo deadlift KB high pull -> 14/15/16/17 (i think as I progressed my pulling strenght kept coming back a bit haha)
    - hanging knee raises -> 12/12/14/9

and finished up witha 12 min clock to try and get through 5 rounds of
    - wall walk & hold for ~20s (made 15/15/10/12)
    - assisted pull-ups x10

I look forward to rest day o.o
    -
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Checking in for the week, since I've been lazy about updating. I don't remember if I added my last couple in the February thread, but I'll just start with the March ones here.

3/2/18
    Rough workout day, no energy, and tricky shoulder being tricky. Had to quit OHP and make it a very light day overall.

OHP
    1x5 @ 67
    1x5 @ 72
    Dropped the rest of the sets, my shoulder was doing something funny as I went up that wouldn't resolve and felt painful, loose and not safe. Moved on.
    Bench press
    3x7 @ 77
    Face pulls
    3x10 @ 45
    Triceps cable pulldowns
    3x10 @ 35
    Seated rows
    3x6 @ 85

3/4
    Squats 3x7 @ 125
    Sumo DL 3x4 @ 155
    Rack pulls 3x8 @ 135
    Weighted step-ups 3x16 @ 65
    Side-to-side box jumps 2x20, 1x30

Still feeling weak and very tired, and I know my period is right around the corner so nothin very heavy today. Hopefully feeling up to more soon.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    I was looking at next weeks programming, which is a major deload with an “ugh, really??? I just want to lift heeaavyyy” sort of attitude.... until today. I think I’m ready for a lighter week.

I am also trying to give up caffeine for a little while, and I think I learned today that without coffee, more food is needed for morning workouts.

5x
    20 kettlebell swings @35
    Down and back trap bar farmers carries @ 205

Yeah... that was it.

Intended to add a run to it... but the bruise from yesterday is right where a shoe goes, and it just doesn’t feel good. And so then I was going to add the deloaded bench day to it.... and I just didn’t have it or maybe just didn’t want it. Either way, it didn’t happen.now that I’m typing this though, it is only two pm, and I do have more food in me now... I suppose I could go back.

I did make enchiladas today. :) I get quite domestic when trying to avoid cleaning the house. This might be more reason to go work out more....
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Squats - 3x8 @ 30 lbs
    Pushups - 3x8
    Inverted rows - 3x8
    Back extension - 3x15 @ 115/120/120 lbs

Felt great last lifting day, felt weak AF today.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Deadlifts 2 sets of 5 @ 50 lbs, 2 sets of 10 @ 40 lbs, 1 set of 10 @ 50 lb
    OHP 2 sets of 10 @ 10 lb dbs, 1 set of 8 @ 12 lb dbs, 1 set of 6 @ 12 lb dbs, 2 sets of 8 @ 11 lb dbs
    Goblet squats 1 set of 15 @ 25 lb, 1 set of 15 @ 27 lbs, 2 sets of 10 @ 29 lbs
    (I have microweights)
    Knee pushups 3 sets of AMRAP

Warmed up first with a 3-mile walk
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    As mentioned, I was definitely ready for this deload week whether my brain is or not.

Bench day.

Bench supersetted with pull-ups, all pull-ups are done with black band.
    5x45
    8 pull-ups
    5x 55
    8 pull-ups
    5x 65
    9ish pull-ups
    Yeah, that was it for bench-like barely warmup sets

Dumbbell bench
    3x10 @ 30s

Chest supported rows
    3x12 @ 35s

Rear laterals
    3x 20 @ 5s

And Incase anyone had the urge to try it themselves, let me save ya the trouble of experimentation.... this is what dropping a 45 lb bumper plate on ones ankle/foot looks like-it wasn’t too bad until i actually had to wear shoes all day today.
    ohczi2ttlq0b.jpeg

• krokador
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    [...]

And Incase anyone had the urge to try it themselves, let me save ya the trouble of experimentation.... this is what dropping a 45 lb bumper plate on ones ankle/foot looks like-it wasn’t too bad until i actually had to wear shoes all day today.

Been there, done that. I could've given you the warning! Heck, dropping a 5lbs plate on toes is a painful experience, already ! XD

So, 4.5 hours of sleep. Good day to go squatting heavy weight for moderate reps, and then do a cardio sesh, right?

Back squats, 45x5/5, 65x8, 85x5, 105x4, 125x8, 130x8, 135x8, 140x8 (still managing to hit reps with same-ish weights from week to week, happy about that).
    I did superset the working sets with submax push-ups: 7/7/6/10
    and penguin drill to try and practice double unders... that wasn't super awesome, lol

Then with a running clock of 5 min/1min x3
    rounds 1 & 2:
    - 500m Row (2:01/1:58)
    - 20 double KB hang clean & Press @ 20lbs (did 10/10 on first round, chained all 20 on 2nd)
    - alternating 1 arm KB snatch @ 30lbs (got 19 total on both, opposite starting hand. Works out well!)

Round 3:
    - 250m row sprint (I think that was 0:52?)
    - 40 2KB Thrusters -> I got 8/8/10/10 before the end. Rested my last minute and finished the ast 4. I'm a completionist.

Then rested about 5 mins because I was just wrecked.
    3 min AMRAP
    - KB swings @ 24kg
    + 5 burpees every time the bell is set down.

I got 40/36, 5 burpees took like 45s to get through. Like I said, I'm trashed. No amount of caffeine can make up for the lack of sleep here. But I found that extra gear in me I hadn't been able to turn on for the longest time today. So I expect some shattering results for the next open workout =D

• monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Newby to the group here and just completed my 2nd week.

5x5 squats at 32.5kg
    1x5 OHP warmup with 20kg bar, 1x5 25kg, 2x5 22.5kg, 2x5 20kg.
    2x5 deadlift at 60kg
    Did 5x5 22.5kg last week so disappointed I had to drop down to 20kg. Trainer taught me to do the ohp with ez curl bar but I was having trouble getting it up to my shoulders at 22.5kg so decided to move to the 20kg straight bar today... maybe that was the difference?

Finished off with 20 mins elliptical, 10 mins bike.

Just home and normal 300 calorie lunch didn’t cut it... starving!

Finding I’m having to go to bed earlier too.

So far loving the program though!
  • krokador
    Options
    monica182 wrote: »
    Newby to the group here and just completed my 2nd week.
    [...]
    Did 5x5 22.5kg last week so disappointed I had to drop down to 20kg. Trainer taught me to do the ohp with ez curl bar but I was having trouble getting it up to my shoulders at 22.5kg so decided to move to the 20kg straight bar today... maybe that was the difference?

[...]

So far loving the program though!
    Cadori wrote: »
    [...]

Felt great last lifting day, felt weak AF today.

Hey, so, I just realized I've kinda missed welcoming you guys to the group! Yay for more gals working on getting stronger! =D

@monica182 It's perfectly normal to do less with a straight bar than with the EZ curl bar, seeing as your grip is different. Having the hands closer to facing each other means you can recruit more of the pecs into the movement (but also means your rear delts basically shut down, I believe). I'd say keep on keeping on with the straight bar, as it evens out the SL program a bit better!

@cadori You'll have good and bad days. A whole LOT can influence performance, ranging from nutrition to hormones to sleep patterns. Focus on the trend as opposed to individual sessions and I promise you'll see improvements!

Today is a recovery day for me, but I made it a point to get in an 8 min EMOM of burpees (6 per minute). Got about 38 out of 48 strict (and some of the flopees were due to me slipping on the floor in my apartment, lol). Gonna keep augmenting intensity and volume on these. Goal is to work up to 10x10, but we're still a ways away from that, lol!

But hey, they say burpees are worth about 4cals each. With 50 in the bank, can I eat 200 cals more? lol (yeah, no, they are not. At least not according to my HR monitors xD)
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    @krokador thank you for the welcome :) Nice to have a group to talk about this stuff with as my husband is sick of hearing about it I suspect