Learn Habits from an Expert for Free

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups
Hi Everyone,

Our weekly challenge starting March 12 will focus on creating new, small healthy habits. We will be exploring how habits work, the 3 components of habits, and how we can tweak an existing habit to make it better work for us. I’m very excited about this challenge and I hope you are too. Whether we realize it or not, our lives are guided and shaped by our daily habits. It’s much easier to reach your health and wellness goals if you put into place a series of habits that will run pretty much on auto pilot.

I wanted to let you know about a terrific free habits program that you can take next week that will complement our habits challenge. Dr. BJ Fogg of Stanford University has created the Tiny Habits program from his research overseeing the Persuasive Tech Lab at Stanford. Dr. Fogg is widely recognized as one of the foremost experts on habits. More than 40,000 people have taken the Tiny Habits program and it’s been refined over the years as new insights about habits are made. I’ve gone through the program twice, most recently a couple of weeks ago, and I’m recommending it to you.

The program runs Monday through Friday and is free of charge. It doesn’t require a lot of time and it’s fun to do. But there is one important thing you need to keep in mind. Signups for the next week’s session that start on Monday close on Saturday. If you want to participate in the Tiny Habits session that starts March 12, you will need to enroll by Saturday, March 10th.

You can learn more about the Tiny Habits program here and there’s a link to signup:

http://tinyhabits.com/

If you miss the signup window or you’d rather not participate, no problem. Our Habits 101 challenge that begins on March 12 will provide plenty of information and support so that you can create new small habits. But since the Tiny Habits program is complementary to our challenge next week and I can personally vouch for its effectiveness, I wanted to encourage you to join. It’s not often we get to learn from a world renowned expert (and for free!)

—Denise

Replies

• HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this Denise! I'm really excited about this! I have a very hard time creating new habits. I'll get really excited and do something for about a week and then just taper off until I just stop doing it all together. I'm hoping this will help me stay on track until it is engrained in me to just do it!
  • themedalist
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thank you for this Denise! I'm really excited about this! I have a very hard time creating new habits. I'll get really excited and do something for about a week and then just taper off until I just stop doing it all together. I'm hoping this will help me stay on track until it is engrained in me to just do it!

I’m glad you are excited about this, @HGSmith0920. I think human being are naturally drawn to new things (especially well marketed things), but really having a good basic set of healthy habits that you keep doing over and over again is what leads to success. We are our habits.
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Just signed up! I am really excited for this! I hope it helps!
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    just signed up looking forward to this as well thanks for sharing this with us...
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Just signed up!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    I signed up. Thanks, Denise.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I’m in! Thanks for the info on this opportunity.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I just signed up too! I am not sure what to expect. LOL
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I just signed up too! I am not sure what to expect. LOL

You’ll come away knowing the formula and structure that all habits follow. Which will make it easier for you to change any habit that you have.

We will be going over the habits structure in our own challenge next week, but since the Tiny Habits program is easy to do, free, reputable, and developed by a habits expert, i wanted to promote it.

For those of you who have signed up already, you’ll be getting your introductory information this weekend.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Thank you. I am excited.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Signed up and so excited!! Thank you so much, Denise. I feel really blessed to have found this group and want you to know how much we much you put into this for us. I wish I could repay you somehow! (((HUGS)))
  • mhdashler
    mhdashler Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I signed up. Thank you for putting this together!
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    ditto!
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    just got my three tiny habits set up thanks again for this Denise I am excited to try it this week.
  • themedalist
    Options
    sandra8841 wrote: »
    just got my three tiny habits set up thanks again for this Denise I am excited to try it this week.

I’m glad, Sandra. I’ll be interested to hear what you all think of the Tiny Habits program. I think it will complement our habits challenge that starts tomorrow very nicely. But I’ll be very interested in your feedback, since I plan on having this habits challenge again later this year.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Got my set up too. Can't wait.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Oh no, I just realize the emails were all on my junk mail. Set up was supposed to be done yesterday by 8pm and I missed the deadline. Fingers crossed I can still join.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp , I just barely made the deadline. My email is going so slow and I looked for it Friday but was busy all Saturday. I hope you can join.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Thanks @77tes . Fingers crossed.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Oh no, I just realize the emails were all on my junk mail. Set up was supposed to be done yesterday by 8pm and I missed the deadline. Fingers crossed I can still join.

Keep in mind, @prgirl39mfp, that there will be another Tiny Habits session starting next Monday, March 19. Our challenge next week would also be complementary to doing Tiny Habits that same week. To anyone else who might like to participate in that session, you’ll need to signup by Saturday, March 17.

I plan on rerunning our Building Better Habits challenge this fall. I’ll interested in your feedback on Tiny Habits and if you found it worthwhile and if I should continue to promote it alongside the Better Habits challenge. If I do, I will definitely add a cautionary note about checking your junk/spam folder for the program information. They are firm on letting them know what habits you’ll be working on by the deadline they give.