March 5 Weekly Challenge: My Creative Side

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited March 2018 in Social Groups
Theme: Greater Happiness
Challenge: My Creative Side

When you think of some of the many habits you could work on that will enable you to reach your health and fitness goals, regularly practicing your creative talents probably doesn’t come to mind.

But it really should. According to Dr. Cathy Malchiodi, “Making art may be as important to your health as balanced nutrition, regular exercise, or meditation” and numerous scientific studies back up this claim. Here are just some of the many wellness perks of creativity:

Health Benefits of Being Creative:

• Stress Reduction
  • Reduction in depression and anxiety
  • Increases and renews brain function
  • Reduces risk of Alzheimer’s and cognitive decline (Its like yoga for your brain!)
  • Improves mood
  • Improves immune system function

Yes, You’ve Got Talent

We all do. We all have innate abilities that we can use to create something that didn’t exist before. Whether it’s a visual art such as painting, drawing or quilting, or another artistic expression like writing, dancing, or playing a musical instrument or something else, practicing our creative talents connects us with what makes us special and unique. And it’s fun!

Cultivating Your Creativity Shifts the Focus from Consuming to Contributing

As James Clear put it,
“There are both physical and mental benefits from creating art, expressing yourself in a tangible way, and sharing something with the world. In our always–on, always–connected world of television, social media, and on–demand everything, it can be stupidly easy to spend your entire day consuming information and simply responding to all of the inputs that bombard your life.

Art offers an outlet and a release from all of that. Take a minute to ignore all of the incoming signals and create an outgoing one instead. Produce something. Express yourself in some way. As long as you contribute rather than consume, anything you do can be a work of art.”

A Few Ideas for Creative Pursuits

• Write a poem, or a letter, or an essay on something you care about
  • Resume a knitting, sewing, crochet, or quilting project that you put aside
  • Head to a flower shop and create your own floral arrangements
  • Paint, redecorate, or rearrange a room in your house
  • Cook something new
  • Go dancing
  • Write a letter to a friend or family member
  • Learn a new song or musical instrument
  • Go for a walk and take some photographs
  • Hand make some birthday cards
  • Paint something
  • Draw in some adult coloring books.
  • Keep a journal or scrapbook
  • Refresh your wardrobe by getting creative with your clothes

This Week’s Challenge: Set aside at least 15 or 20 minutes several times this week for a creative activity. Don’t worry about how well you are doing it, just settle in, relax, and enjoy the creative process! And please tell us what you are working on!

Make it a great week!

............................................................................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Make More Art: The Health Benefits of Creativity
https://jamesclear.com/make-more-art

5 Proven Ways Creativity Is Good for Your Health
https://verilymag.com/2016/01/mental-emotional-health-creativity-happiness

Creativity as a Wellness Practice: Along with Diet and Exercise, Make Creativity a Wellness Resolution
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/arts-and-health/201512/creativity-wellness-practice

...........................................................................................................................................

Replies

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting challenge. I am look forward to fitting in some creative time each day.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I love that this is our challenge for the week! I have been trying to form a habit of working on a story that I am in the middle of writing. I dont currently work and there is a significant amount of downtime for me here at home, but for some reason, I can't seem to write when I'm here. I am currently trying to find places where I can tap into my creative side. I've found that I can do it anywhere except inside my own home. I wrote one afternoon on my back deck when it was warmer out. This morning I wrote lounging on my Parents loveseat while I was waiting for my laundry to finish. Recently I spent some time at the library writing. I just got a new job, however, so I'm hoping that I won't just give up on my story altogether like I've done in the past.

It doesn’t surprise me that you are having challenges writing at home, @HGSmith0920. Our habits are triggered largely by cues from our environment and I’m sure your house is cueing you subtly to do a lot of other things rather than write. There’s just too many distractions. You could likely overcome this with time by finding a certain spot in your home that becomes your writing area. With enough time, your brain would likely get the message that “this is where we write”. But it may be easier just to find a place outside your home.

Congrats on your new job!
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    1) I’m busy working on organizing photos from previous trips. I plan to write a narrative to go along with the pictures to make them more meaningful and help me remember the little things about the trips. I’m really struggling with figuring out the best method but I’ve started now and I’m going to stick with it.
    2) I will be embroidering blocks of my Snow Days quilt that will take me forever to finish! Every day at least 15 minutes.

These are wonderful projects, @nebslp. Organizing the photos from your previous trips and adding narratives to them will certainly help you remember the experience better. And spending 15 minutes a day on your Snow Days quilt will definitely move it along!
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have been meaning to get back to my crochet. I was making an afghan out of hexagons. I have 5, but I need 64 :D I think it takes me about 10 mins to do one, so I could potentially get about 7-10 done this week if I commit to the 15-20 mins a day. I will definitely try!
  • bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Looks like there's a load of talented people on here! I'm close to done with my second big illness in the last month. This one has been easier, though. Almost every week I'm part of a group of ladies that gathers at each others homes. Originally we were strangers and it was just to quilt. Now we are a very big part of each others support and have expanded our horizons with field trips, classes, and retreats. My plans are to continue work on the borders of the pink and blue quilt in my profile pic. It is the first quilt I've made for my own bed and I'm excited to complete it.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I’m really enjoying hearing about your creative projects!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful @themedalist ! Thanks so much for sharing
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    Looks like there's a load of talented people on here! I'm close to done with my second big illness in the last month. This one has been easier, though. Almost every week I'm part of a group of ladies that gathers at each others homes. Originally we were strangers and it was just to quilt. Now we are a very big part of each others support and have expanded our horizons with field trips, classes, and retreats. My plans are to continue work on the borders of the pink and blue quilt in my profile pic. It is the first quilt I've made for my own bed and I'm excited to complete it.

Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing!
  • themedalist
    Options
    This is wonderful @themedalist ! Thanks so much for sharing

Glad you enjoyed it, @prgirl39mfp. That’s what we are doing this week...we are shaking up some neurons!