Making Weight for Comp (IBJJF Pans this Friday)

Options
briteyes
briteyes Posts: 435 Member
If you are used to having to make weight for comps, please chime in if you have any helpful information. I am used to having time to recover from weight cuts, and for IBJJF you weigh in right before competition.

I've been focusing on a slow weight loss plan, that allows me to be fueled for intense training sessions, yet still losing weigh to on a steady basis. A few weeks ago, I was notified that I was being sponsored to compete in an upcoming tournament. I was only 5 lbs away from making weight in the Feather class, so I decided to sign up for Feather.

Here I am less than 5 days away and maybe 1.5 lbs up from making weight. I know I can lose that in water weight, but want to be very careful this week. I need to make weight and I don't want to be depleted or dehydrated when I fight.

And yes, in case you are wondering, it's too late to move up a weight class (not that I would want to).

So, just curious if anyone has any tips for me....

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Cut carbs, and your body will drop the water without dehydrating you, but then you lose a lot of your glycogen in the process... so could leave you feeling run-down.

Personally I'd stay in a significant calorie deficit for the 5 days, and taper down on training, as heavy training can cause you to retain water.

Also, drink water like mad for the next 3 days to flush out any that your body is holding from sodium, then cut back to a reasonable amount day before competition.
  • briteyes
    Options
    @bwmalone THANK YOU!!! Sounds pretty much like what I was thinking of doing. Thankfully I don't have a huge appetite lately. I was eating between 1700-2000 cals and the past couple days I can't even seem to get up to 1700... so weird.

When you say cut carbs, do you have an idea of how many carbs I should cut to? I used to be keto, so low carb dieting is not new to me. I just recently (last month or so) allowed carbs back into my diet. I was thinking of trying to stay under 100 carbs, but can definitely go lower.

I was going to just flow roll tonight and tomorrow night, and then i'm done training for the week. I don't want to chance getting hurt or being sore. I'm trying to do some form of movement and flexibility each morning. Nothing much I can learn or do at this point to be ready, other than make weight, and stay healthy. It's all about the mental state of mind now...
  • briteyes
    Options
    and I just found out I fight at 4:45 pm... so now I have a full day to keep the weight off, but at least if I wake up Friday morning, still up, I have time to sit in a sauna bwahaha