Class and Practice Check in - Week of 3/5/2018

Options
Out_of_Bubblegum
Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every week, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- Do today what others won't, tomorrow do what others can't.

Replies

• Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This week’s class was going over patterns 1-9. Practicing 10 on my own, because that’s all I’ve learned so far and don’t want to lose it. It was a sunny day in Buffalo, so I also got in a 3 mile run.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    We had our monthly Tuesday evening class last night. More basics, but with a different focus from a different sensei! I was not in the mood for training but went and left aching all over, drenched with sweat and happy as a pig in mud!!

This Saturday our morning class is cancelled because we are having our fitness challenge. I will be up against teenagers and young adults. I don't stand a chance but I am going to have a blast!
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Spent my Saturday morning teaching white belts their first pattern. Also sparred with younger color belts, and supervised weapons classes. Great classes today!
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Yesterday (Saturday) we had a fitness challenge at karate - the adults were in the age category 19 years and up. There were 4 of us women and two of them were young (19 and 22). I felt really old!!! The challenge was doing as many reps of the exercise (there were 5 different types) in 1 minute. I nearly died!!! But I still won two of the five categories (sit ups with quadruple punches and side shuffle with oraken) and came second in the other three (burpees, squat with a double kick and bench transfers).
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Tough sparring lesson last night. My usual training partners didn't train because of mother's day (extra points to me for turning up to class!) so I had no excuses to slope off to the back of the class and practise kata. I have to keep reminding myself that until I reach black belt I will need to keep focussing on all of the things I need for my grading - that means more kumite and ippon kumite and less of the higher grade kata (also the kata I need for black belt is on the rusty side because I've been allowed to focus on the higher stuff recently)
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Sparring class on Saturday was crazy. There is a dojo tournament in a few weeks, so instead of the normal 2-3 adults that showed up to class, there were about 15 men who were all convinced they'll be winning the tournament. Luckily, several teenagers also came so I had someone to spar with. I wanted nothing to do with the testosterone flowing in the other room. :)

Next Saturday is belt graduation. If everything goes well, the boys and I will be advancing to green belts on St. Patrick's Day. How perfect is that?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    @Bianca42 I hope it all went as planned!

I'm a bit miffed (I've missed two classes this week, between childcare falling through, getting a virus, and bad weather), so I could do with hearing someone else's good news.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    We got our green belts on St. Patrick's Day! My youngest was feeling sick at the beginning of class, so he sat out and asked to join in the last 5 minutes of class since he was feeling better. They told him it was too late, so he cried on the sidelines with my husband while my oldest and I got our belts. When class ended, they asked us to stay late and gave him a private test so that he could graduate with us. I'm so thankful that they did that for him.
    omrkuub49i8l.jpg
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You guys look awesome in your green belts. My kids and I were all grading together at the start of our training and it was great to all progress at the same rate, then they dropped back because of various reasons (not wanting to grade, injuries etc) so we all ended up at different levels. It was lovely when youngest got to 3rd kyu so we were all in the same colour again (but I can't wait to be a black belt so I'm not hanging back to stay the same as them ;-) )

We had a proper kata class last night for the first time in ages. Sensei's been scheming with the head of another local dojo and it looks like we could get an interclub competition set up in the next few months. We don't get much competition practise, I'm quite excited!