the week before...

Options
WhataBroad
WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
This is my first 1/2 on this coming Saturday, Aug.10th. I would love to get some insights on the do's and don'ts during this week leading up to it. Being this is my first one, the ultimate goal is to finish with a smile on my face!

Replies

• Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Ooh, exciting!

I tend to avoid alcohol for a week before a half marathon, mainly because I can feel even half a glass of wine the next day! I also avoid excessive fried food a few days beforehand since it makes me sluggish.

As far as training is concerned, I have my last run of 4-5miles 3 days beforehand, then do lots of foam rollering and strengthening exercises (squats/planks/deadliest) however, I wouldn't recommend going overboard on these unless you're used to them - don't want any dodgy aches on race day!

Good luck and have a great time!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've only done 2 so far, but just get some easy runs in, eat at maintenance, keep very well hydrated all week, and I would take a rest day or two before race day. Don't eat anything with too much fiber in the day or two before, and I like to take an Immodium (anti-diarrheal) on the morning of race day. Nerves can give you nervous bowels! Not fun. My first half I took two pit stops because I thought I had to go - I didn't really, but it was nerves. Oh and get lots of sleep - you probably won't sleep well the night before, so get a night or two of good sleep before that.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Keep some easy runs in. The day before a half I like to do 20 minutes of easy running with some strides (brief periods of faster, like 20") in the middle and then stretch. Hydrate well all week, but especially the day before. You may not sleep well the eve of, so get a good night's rest the night before. When the race starts avoid the temptation to go out too fast. It will feel really easy. I *should* be easy when you start. The whole first 8-10 miles should feel pretty easy. Have fun!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I don't do much different the week before. Take it easy on my runs, no crazy distances during the week. Morning of is always tricky, especially if the start time is after ~7. Make sure you go potty before the start and plan on ridiculous lines for the porta-johns. If there is a particular type of fuel you like to have in races make sure you have a couple; during the race is the wrong time to find out that FRS Chews are an offense to humanity.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Really nothing to add from the wisdom above, except avoid "heavy" foods that take a long time to digest for the <48hrs prior to. I stick with yogurt, pasta, bread, and sugary snacks. Also, don't neglect your protein, but not in the form of greasy/fatty stuff like steak, burgers, etc. If you eat and hydrate properly, you should be able to sail through the first few aid stations without stopping. I fuel on the go once every hour, so for a half, I'll bring one gel with me if I don't plan on grazing at the aid stations, but sometimes M&Ms and gummy bears are hard to pass up! Try not to let your nerves get to you, and HAVE FUN :)
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    It'll be great and you will love the feeling of accomplishment once you've crossed that finish line!

Personally, About 4 days out I have my last easy4 miler. If I am gonna try and PR, I'll take the next three days and just rest, stretch, eat super foods like berries, quinoa, chia...etc. along with light lean meats. For marathons I carb load and rest for 4 days out, but halfs or a bit less taxing...well on me anyway. This will be a learning experience for you. Remember every feeiling you had before, during and after and use that knowledge to adjust and fine tune your routine. It gets better and better everyone you do. Let us know how it goes, remember your training...you are READY!!!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am a grand veteran of just 3 half's so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.........

I definitely back off in the final week.

The long run 7 days out will be half normal distance.
    My interval days will become easy pace days
    I'll take an extra days rest - so 2 or 3 full days rest before the race.

Couple days before I switch up the carb level of my food. Not extra calories, just a bit more of an orientation towards carbs than I normally do.

Now you didn't ask about race day, so presumably you have that covered already but I use the week (s) leading up to try everything I will do on race day so there are no surprises (experimenting with gel's, jelly babies, water, clothing etc etc).
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't do too much differently the week leading up to a half. Just the basics - I stay well hydrated, I eat sensibly, I avoid alcohol, I try to get lots of rest.

Enjoy race day!!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I would say pretty much all of the great advice the other posters suggested. The thing I did on my last two halves that seemed to help was 3 days before the half up to the half I switched from whole wheat breads/pasta and went to white breads. that seems to help with tummy troubles and it seems to help give me the added energy....(it could all be in my head too :tongue: )
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everyone!