March 19 Weekly Challenge: Big Impact of Small Food Changes

Options
2»

Replies

• HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    @themedalist Stay safe tonight/tomorrow. I know that you are in the North East like me! We're batting down the hatches. I hope you are too!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @prgirl39mfp my son uses the 2 ingredient recipe for making pizza dough. I haven't tried it yet but he likes it.

Good. I am going to try and make other things with the 2 ingredient dough and see what I can come up with.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @themedalist Stay safe tonight/tomorrow. I know that you are in the North East like me! We're batting down the hatches. I hope you are too!

Thanks, @HGSmith0920. Please stay safe as well. They’ve downgraded the snow totals in my area, but still expecting moderate snow and lots of wind.
  • themedalist
    Options
    sandra8841 wrote: »
    Getting in my fruits is a hard one for me you would think it would be veggies but those I do good with just cant seem to get into a habit of eating fruit daily. One of my three choices for last weeks challenge was to add a fruit in to my evening snack, suffice to say I am still working to make that one a habit. :)

@sandra8841, I’m no expert, but I don’t think eating fruit is essential if you eat plenty of veggies. Both fruits and veggies have a lot of nutrients and fiber. Many people seem to prefer the sweetness of fruits over veggies, but if you don’t, I don’t see any reason to try to eat more of something you don’t enjoy. I think giving fruit a chance is a great idea, though, just to see if you do start to enjoy it.

It’s very hard, if not impossible, to make a habit out of something we don’t enjoy doing.
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to be starting a new job this morning. My new boss said that he would text me between 7-730 if we were not working. Well, I never got a message so I am assuming that it's still on for the day.

@themedalist I'm on the Jersey Shore and they downgraded ours as well. It went from 12"-18" to 3"-6". I'm actually REALLY happy about this. I live on a quarter mile long dirt road so large snow totals make it impossible to get out of my driveway. Lol
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I’m not crazy about apples because they’re too sweet so I’ve combined them with peanu butter and more recently PB2 which tastes good with a lot less fat. But I discovered if I cut the apple in slices and drizzle a little lemon juice over that it cuts the sweetness and makes them taste really good according to my taste buds. No fat or calories added, just vitamin C!
  • themedalist
    Options
    MmamabearR wrote: »
    Making food changes are a big way to helping me keep on track and not feel like I'm missing out. For example, I love lattes! But they are so full of fat and sugar if I am not careful. So I started making my own coffee at home and using low cal creamer and Splenda. It's not a latte, but it's the coffee flavor that I love most, so I'm happy. Plus, every once in a while (once a month, at least) I'll go to the local coffeehouse and ask for a tall latte with low fat milk and at most, three pumps of syrup. Each pump has 20 calories and 5g of sugar! But it's a nice treat.

Other steps I'm taking are avoiding snacking on chips and dip in favor of fresh fruit without dip. I haven't snacked on ice cream in a long time. I actually don't even miss it. But summer's coming, so we'll see how I do. I buy carbonated, flavored, unsweetened water to calm my coke cravings. The Dasani's are delicious. I also no longer use creamy salad dressing. I prefer vinaigrette's. The low fat Olive Garden dressing is my favorite!

If I am going to work on anything this week, I think it'll be cutting back on red meat in favor or fish or chicken. I haven't had those very much lately, but I know it's helped me in the past so I am going to work on getting more in this week.

Such a great post, @MmamabearR. You’ve done a wonderful job at changing a lot of things over time and allowing your taste buds and preferences to catch up to the changes you’ve made.
  • themedalist
    Options
    betsym3 wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've posted, but I think that a couple of changes to my eating habits that I can make this week are: 1. No cookies starting this week, 2. No Ritz crackers with peanut butter on them. I will only measure peanut butter as part of a meal (ex. breakfast, or in a recipe). Peanut butter is healthy, I know, but not when you just slap it on a cracker, and chow down 5 or 6 ... maybe 10 of them! I really need to get a grip on mindless eating, and this is a start! Hope everyone has a great week.

These are really good changes to work on, @betsym3. Working on mindless eating is something lots of people struggle with, but it’s so important!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Jinantonix wrote: »
    Thanks for this Denise. I have been thinking hard about my habits and realised that it's not the eating habits, but another habit that's derailing me. My partner and I have fallen into the habit of getting home from a hard day at work and, without even thinking about it, opening a bottle of wine. Once it's opened then there seems no point in putting the cork back in so the bottle gets finished. Added to this are the nibbles which can be resisted until we're on our second glass of wine, when they suddenly become necessary :(
    I've signed up to a UK website where you can track your alcohol intake, units etc. and set goals for drink free days or drink one less days. It also sends daily reminders to track. I'm also continuing in my mission to cut sugar from my coffee, I'm now down to half a spoon in the first cup of the day only.
    Wish me luck everyone.

“Wine time” derails a lot of healthy eating habits, @Jinantonix. And it usually includes snacks. Would it work for you to just make this a weekend thing? And congrats on reducing your coffee sugar!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this week’s challenge. Guess I never figured out a good plan of action or what I wanted to change. I did eat fish but it was on a Wednesday...random. However, my tiny habits from the week before of taking my vitamin and spending time in my favorite room every day is pretty solid. Making coffee and pouring that first cup are the perfect triggers. Thank you, Denise!
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    I struggled with this week’s challenge. Guess I never figured out a good plan of action or what I wanted to change. I did eat fish but it was on a Wednesday...random. However, my tiny habits from the week before of taking my vitamin and spending time in my favorite room every day is pretty solid. Making coffee and pouring that first cup are the perfect triggers. Thank you, Denise!

Habits are hard to start and hard to change, @nebslp. But I think your fish habit and creating a mnemonic device like “Salmon Saturday” is a great idea. In fact, I’m borrowing your idea! And I’m so happy to hear your tiny habits have taken root!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I totally missed this whole challenge! BUT, even not knowing about it, I did make a swap this week in my effort to get away from my every-night ice cream addiction! I changed Tin Roof Sundae ice cream to 1 cup Low Fat Cottage Cheese with 1 cup of blueberries. :smile: I'm on day 4!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I totally missed this whole challenge! BUT, even not knowing about it, I did make a swap this week in my effort to get away from my every-night ice cream addiction! I changed Tin Roof Sundae ice cream to 1 cup Low Fat Cottage Cheese with 1 cup of blueberries. :smile: I'm on day 4!

Well done! Great swap!