Class and Practice Check in - Week of 3/19/2018

Options
Out_of_Bubblegum
Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every week, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- Do today what others won't, tomorrow do what others can't.

Replies

• Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Sorry, havent been online much recently. Still loving my jiu jitsu though, despite the black eye last week, courtesy of a spaz new white belt head butting me. The mma guys are all in fight camp right now. First fight night this past Saturday. Two guys fought, both tough opponents and two victories to decision. About 50 people from our club there supporting though!!! Easter weekend is roadtrip time for two of our pro's fighting, including coach!!! And the next weekend the final fight night back home with 4 guys fighting, including one debut!!!

Drilled armbars at fundamentals on Sat with an awesome guy. He is 85, does bjj once a week and Aikido 5 times per week. He did judo in his 20s. Still insanely strong. Recently had some health issues that left him paralysed for a time and has basically been told by the doctors they can't help him anymore so he has turned to exercise to keep him going. Such an inspiration.

And I trained with the youngest in our club this week too. Coach's 4 year old arrived in his gi because he had just come from judo, so we rolled half a round (before he decided he was done and walked off!!!) That's a serious little machine and I can't wait to see him compete in the not so distance future!
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Monday we learned the rest of ITF pattern 11 Po-Eun. I like it-it’s very different from what we’ve learned so far-not a lot of kicks for a higher ranking pattern, but I think it’s going to be a lot of fun to do once I get better at it. Today we learned a couple BJJ throws-it’s tough to get good at that because we only train every other week. After BJJ, it was blackbelt sparring. Great workouts!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Trained Monday and Tuesday. Nothing particularly exciting happened.

@Stanlee202 Po Eun is always very impressive to watch, when done with confidence. I'll be getting to start it at the end of this year I believe. The prospect of being let loose on it is both exciting and intimidating, tbh.
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Trained Monday and Tuesday. Nothing particularly exciting happened.

@Stanlee202 Po Eun is always very impressive to watch, when done with confidence. I'll be getting to start it at the end of this year I believe. The prospect of being let loose on it is both exciting and intimidating, tbh.

Po-Eun really is a cool pattern. I’m so slow right now, but I know the speed and power will come, just like all the other patterns. Kwang-Gae is my new favorite so far, but Joong-Gun is my favorite color belt pattern, and they have a lot of similarities. You’ll love learning Po-Eun though! There’s not much to it, but there is a lot of precision in steps and stances.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    We had our Saturday class yesterday. It was great fun as usual. New kata and brainstorming bunkai.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My boys passed their second kyu grading yesterday. They didn't want me to stay and watch because I would put them off but both senseis had only good things to say when I came back to pick them up. I'm so proud of them :)
    Sunday class tonight was all kata. I got sensei to myself for half an hour and we tightened up loads on a couple of my senior katas which I want to work on for competition, and I got some quite different perspectives on the bunkai of basai dai. Next week I get to learn another new kata, saifa.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    Trained Saturday. I was asked to help three teen black belts revise their current pattern. On the one hand, 'twas an honour and a privilege, but on the other hand: a5otz3upkf4z.gif

Skipped Sunday to spend time with the family.

@Stanlee202 Ha. Joong Gun is not exactly my favourite colour belt one, shall we say. I worked hard to get it down, so performing it is oddly satisfying now, but no, not my favourite.

It's the necessary precision in Po Eun that worries me; as an onlooker, it's particularly* unforgiving of sloppiness. It seems a bit of a jump from the previous patterns. Very, "Hai there, you think you're a black belt? Do THIS then!"

*This is of the ones I'm familiar with by sight. The patterns above that are all just impressive blurs to me.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    Week 3/26/2018

Trained Monday and Wednesday. We're working on a particular kick combination in preparation for a new form. It's quite testing.