Introduce Yourself!

Options
2»

Replies

• MsHolly20
    MsHolly20 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hi. I’m Holly, 33, and expecting my 2nd baby mid December. I finally broke down and came back to MFP after riding a rollercoaster the last 3 years. I had my 1st in Oct 2014. My 1st was so easy. I was the healthiest I ever remember being and while I did gain 40 lbs, I was active and healthy.

At 7 mths PP I started experiencing severe hormonal imbalances which caused daily headaches or migraines. On top of motherhood, full time stressful job, health issues...zero work life balance...I’ve been a mess. Last summer my issues peaked when all of the HRP backfired with an allergic reaction to new meds and finding out I had a very under active thyroid. That explained all the weight gain from smelling air with zero ability to lose it. Haha. I’ve seen several docs, chiropractors, nutritionists, and naturalpaths since this all started and after last summer got off everything to try and find my “cure” and looked at healing through nutrition. I’ve had a lot of success feeling better and in March started eating Keto to try and reset my hormones and heal my thyroid. I felt so amazing but then found out I was pregnant despite everything. We were pleasantly surprised. I did step back from Keto due to aversions which has led me here...doing the one thing I hate most. Tracking. Lol. I’m at the weight I delivered so this is my motivation to stay healthy and be as active as I can despite feeling fatigue from all of the above. My Dr’s feel optimistic that this may be what I need to start over. I have so much more knowledge and resources to help try and avoid issues in the future. I feel so much more relaxed about everything and have been feeling better pregnant than before. Yay!

Thanks for the forum, I look forward to staying accountable and tracking along with you all.
  • janajelt
    janajelt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Glad to join the group. I'm due 8/2 with my second child. I developed hypothyroidism after the birth of my first child and it took me nearly 2 years to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I got pregnant again almost as soon as I hit goal weight. I'm an older mom this time around (36 yrs.) and now I'm borderline gestational diabetes. I'm controlling it well with diet right now, eating about 2000 calories a day and keeping carbs/sugar low (only from veggies and low-sugar fruits) and eating every 2-3 hours.

The best advice I've received is to learn to eat mindfully during pregnancy; never eat a "naked carb" (i.e., always pair it with some protein and or healthy fats); but always eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full.

I recently learned that when you eat something that really spikes your blood sugar, your baby's pancreas also starts working over time to try to help produce insulin to handle the carb-bomb. It permanently changes your baby's metabolic profile to have an overtaxed pancreas before they're ever born. They're more likely to struggle with their own weight later on. I found this to be so interesting, amazing and helpful in inspiring me to say "no" to the sugary treats!!
  • KuddlingKittens
    KuddlingKittens Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm expecting a little girl in October. It's my first pregnancy. I'm glad I found this group!
  • keston02
    keston02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I guess I technically don't meet the requirements for this group, but I just found out I was pregnant this week and by the calculations, my due date is early January 2019, so I just missed the cutoff for 2018 (and my deductible!). I definitely want to stay healthy, my weight has always been a struggle for me and I've come and gone from MyFitnessPal for a long time.

I was running a lot up until last year and was planning on starting again, I had been doing it casually but had been swimming, doing the elliptical, and yoga more than anything due to some health problems and pain over the past 6 months.
  • JuliBiGoolee
    JuliBiGoolee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    @keston02 i just found out I'm pregnant with baby #2 this morning. Estimated due date January 6th 2019. Looks like we are in the same boat! I just started back on MFP last month and lost about 10 pounds. I'm currently 197lbs and want to stay healthy for this pregnancy. Glad to find this group!
  • Parthus02
    Parthus02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
  • JuliBiGoolee
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I read that you don't need extra calories during the first trimester but is it okay to stay at my current caloric level, losing 1.5 lbs per week? What is suggested for pregnant woman on MFP? 2nd pregnancy, first time pregnant and doing MFP. Btw, my first appt is at the end of May, I plan to ask my doctor as well.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I read that you don't need extra calories during the first trimester but is it okay to stay at my current caloric level, losing 1.5 lbs per week? What is suggested for pregnant woman on MFP? 2nd pregnancy, first time pregnant and doing MFP. Btw, my first appt is at the end of May, I plan to ask my doctor as well.

Early January is a great time to have a baby! Congratulations! January 6th is my son's birthday. And by the time the weather was nice, I wasn't as "postpartum" and it felt great getting out and about! I hope you have a great pregnancy. As far as mfp settings, I think everyone does their own thing. There's no official "pregnancy setting" I think. Some people set calorie goal to gain weight, some people try to maintain. But the fact is, whether or not you gain during 1st trimester, your body is changing, and gaining mass. I hope you fall into a groove and find a system that works for you! Have you been feeling sick?
  • JuliBiGoolee
    Options

Early January is a great time to have a baby! Congratulations! January 6th is my son's birthday. And by the time the weather was nice, I wasn't as "postpartum" and it felt great getting out and about! I hope you have a great pregnancy. As far as mfp settings, I think everyone does their own thing. There's no official "pregnancy setting" I think. Some people set calorie goal to gain weight, some people try to maintain. But the fact is, whether or not you gain during 1st trimester, your body is changing, and gaining mass. I hope you fall into a groove and find a system that works for you! Have you been feeling sick?

Not really, but I had very mild nausea with my first child too. Just a bit queasy on an empty stomach. I try to keep light snacks on hand like animal crackers, lemon ginger tea. The smell of exhaust and the meat/ seafood section of the grocery store though...ugh
  • BabyT2019
    BabyT2019 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I'm also due early January 2019 but this is the only preggers group I've found so I hope people don't mine me jumping on the bandwagon. I was getting back into the grove with exercise and eating better when we found out we're expecting :smile: . I am hoping to simply maintain or even loose a little this first trimester (I had about 30lbs to loose before being pregnant). My goal is not to focus so much on the calorie count but more so on accountability and tracking what I do eat. Today's our first doctors appointment so fingers crossed for happy and healthy pregnancy!
  • mahlisa
    mahlisa Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies! I'm due in November (near Thanksgiving) with my second child. I gained a good amount with my first, so I'm trying extra hard to balance being happy/heathy with preventing as much weight gain as before. I'm 37, so I'm higher risk for high blood pressure and gestational diabetes with this second pregnancy. Now that I'm out of the first trimester where carbs were the only thing I could eat, I'm tracking my calories and food choices (more for the accountability) while maintaining healthy exercise habits! Congrats to each of you on the pregnancy and for the hopefully healthy journey to delivery!! XO
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow mommies to be! I'm due November 8th, I'm 35 and a first time mom. I want to continue to be active during this pregnancy and hoping to pick back up to my usual amount of workouts now that I am out of the first trimester and not so tired.
    I had major cravings for sweets and between giving in to my cravings and not working out as much I'm feeling pretty blah right now. Anyone have any recs for tracking a healthy weight gain and calories? MFP kind of depresses me when it shows me my goal weight now. I just changed it but I wish there was a pregnancy option! I took a little break from MFP but want to start tracking my calories again and making better food choices. I feel like the weight I've gained isn't from being pregnant, it's from eating ice cream and not burning as many calories as I'm used to!
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Shelby1582 wrote: »
    Hello fellow mommies to be! I'm due November 8th, I'm 35 and a first time mom. I want to continue to be active during this pregnancy and hoping to pick back up to my usual amount of workouts now that I am out of the first trimester and not so tired.
    I had major cravings for sweets and between giving in to my cravings and not working out as much I'm feeling pretty blah right now. Anyone have any recs for tracking a healthy weight gain and calories? MFP kind of depresses me when it shows me my goal weight now. I just changed it but I wish there was a pregnancy option! I took a little break from MFP but want to start tracking my calories again and making better food choices. I feel like the weight I've gained isn't from being pregnant, it's from eating ice cream and not burning as many calories as I'm used to!

Hi, Shelby! Congratulations! I'm a November due date, too. I can completely sympathize with everything you said. I often feel like pregnancy is one long endurance test for moms, not just physically but also psychologically! My only comment would be to try to not worry about the weight gain, try not to let it get you down. The truth is, your weight WILL come back off. Try to surround yourself with positive, supportive people. Maybe a peer who's had a few kids that you admire. You're doing something amazing! Weight gain is part of it, so chin up, you can do it!
  • Parthus02
    Parthus02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Shelby1582 wrote: »

I feel you. I'm also due around Thanksgiving. I changed my goal to gain .5lbs/week once I hit 2nd trimester, which is less depressing to me because I can track my weight gain and I'm hitting a goal, not getting away from it.