Starting over

Options
eleanorhawkins
eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
I had finished both programmes before Xmas but then holidays etc happened and I seemed to run out of steam completely. I've still been running but not managed more than 10 minute intervals with breaks in between, so I've decided I'm going to go right back to the start and follow the entire 10k programme over again, starting today.
Also, I had always run on a treadmill, did my first real outdoor run last week while away and really felt the difference so this time I am going to pledge to do at least one run per week outside. Will post here for accountability, anyone fancy joining in or at least yelling at me if they see me moaning too much? :D

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Guess that'll be a no then lol.
    Well as expected week one caused no problems BUT I failed on the getting in an outdoor session. Must try harder... having a treadmill in my office has been crucial to my weight loss and increased fitness but now makes it too easy to just hop on it rather than forcing myself outside.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins I'll be happy to shout at you for moaning but won't be able to join in for the next few weeks. I will probably be starting Week 6 of C25K again in May I'd say.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    This morning I managed to get outside for week 2 day 2.... slight slope in there and my knees certainly notice the difference in surface but it was ok. One thing I noticed is according to my tracker I run a LOT faster outdoors than I do on the treadmill, even though I was trying to match my usual indoor speed.
    Signed up for a 4.2k race on May 27th. I entered the same one last year, a few weeks after starting c25k for the first time, and really struggled to not finish last. Think I beat the blind girl and her mum but was overtaken in the final few metres by the new mums and pregnant women pushing pushchairs and prams :D My aim for this year is to run the whole thing, albeit veeeery slooooowly.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I can't run as long or as fast on a treadmill as I can outside, it's a totally different style of running for me.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    I can't run as long or as fast on a treadmill as I can outside, it's a totally different style of running for me.

Funny, isn't it. My knees are much happier on the treadmill though.
    Week 3 day 1 today, stupidly (considering in December I could run for 60 minutes) those 3 minutes seemed to take forever...not a good running day. Maybe because dinner last night unexpectedly consisted of chocolate :-/
    I stumbled across a charity women's race against cancer in a week and a bit's time which I have gone and signed myself and my daughter up for. It's only 4 km and although I very much doubt we'll run much more than a couple of little jogs when the gap between us and the pack gets embarrasing at least we'll be moving and for a good cause. AND we get pink T-shirts too :D
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

Funny, isn't it. My knees are much happier on the treadmill though.
    Week 3 day 1 today, stupidly (considering in December I could run for 60 minutes) those 3 minutes seemed to take forever...not a good running day. Maybe because dinner last night unexpectedly consisted of chocolate :-/
    I stumbled across a charity women's race against cancer in a week and a bit's time which I have gone and signed myself and my daughter up for. It's only 4 km and although I very much doubt we'll run much more than a couple of little jogs when the gap between us and the pack gets embarrasing at least we'll be moving and for a good cause. AND we get pink T-shirts too :D

I have definitely noticed a correlation between what I ate the night before and the performance of my runs if it's before lunchtime. I need a high protein/lower carb meal the night before otherwise I just feel like I am trying to move double the weight.
  • eleanorhawkins
    edited April 2018
    Options

I have definitely noticed a correlation between what I ate the night before and the performance of my runs if it's before lunchtime. I need a high protein/lower carb meal the night before otherwise I just feel like I am trying to move double the weight.

Hmm, will bear that in mind, thanks.... I run at 8am before I have time to come up with an excuse not to!
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Week 3 is now complete, I'm just back from doing the Day 3 outdoors and it was much better than my last outdoor run, the same route and the same hill didn't upset my knees anywhere near as much. I somehow managed to end up with the worse bit of the hill taking up the second short (90 second) jog but survived :D
    I was only about 3k down when the session was up but had signed up for a virtual 5k today, plus I'm doing a charity 4k on Sunday through the historical centre of our local capital city (Málaga) so kept on walking until I'd covered a full 5km. Still only took me 45 minutes so again quite a lot quicker than on the treadmill!
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Opps I got rather distracted from updating here lol.
    I finished up to week 8 (the 30 minutes running) and started week 9 but have now started pondering whether I really want to carry on or stop where I am for a while and keep running for 30 (or so) minutes for the summer. It gets really hot here and I struggle with the heat, plus my knees and shins have been complaining recently (although nowhere near as much since I invested in better trainers). Also, last time I went pretty much straight on with the 10k programme but then lost form almost immediately after I finished it due to not being able to run over Xmas and a holiday .
    Options are: a) continue with the 10k programme very early in the morning or b) stick to 30 minute runs for the summer months (maybe going up to 4 per week instead of 3 as I seem to have fallen in love with outdoor running and the zombie run app so would really like to get outside both days at the weekends) and then restart from week 9 in September, by which time I hope I would be so used to running for half an hour it wouldn't seem quite so tough lol.
    I have decided I would really like to do at least one 5k race per month in the autumn (there seem to be none here until then due to the heat apart from one at the end of August in a hilly village.... toying with the idea of that one but worried I might just have gone completely insane :D
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I'd probably stick with the 30 min runs through the heat. You could always add in a 35-50min one if weather is cooler/you feel like it?

• eleanorhawkins
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    I'd probably stick with the 30 min runs through the heat. You could always add in a 35-50min one if weather is cooler/you feel like it?

That's what I'm leaning more towards, but then my crazy mind starts trying to tell me I should be pushing myself. Reason and logic though is telling me I'd be better off strengthening this 30 minute base and sitting the summer out before pushing harder, especially as I have had some aching in my knees and shins recently. Guess the zombies beat 10k for the time being. Next dilemma (crazy mind again) is I kind of feel like doing that on the treadmill is cheating and if the GPS isn't tracking me it isn't the same lol. For tomorrow I think I've convinced myself the treadmill will be softer on my legs following the extra effort at the weekend but I have a feeling within a few days I'll be heading outdoors. MAYBE for the summer I can put up with two weekdays on the treadmill and two outdoor runs at the weekend when there's less traffic about. Time wise that would be equivalent to week 9 which is where I am, so basically I would just have to transition back to 3 days with longer times when I decide to restart.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    hehe your crazy mind is similar to mine. But you can push yourself on the odd 30 min run and try for speed, or do slightly longer runs once every 2 weeks or something and still be 'pushing' yourself. But yes, definitely go with the logic and reason more to protect your legs if they are feeling niggly!

I find treadmill runs harder on my legs though - maybe I am just running weird(er) on them.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Yeah, zombie chases it is!
  • eleanorhawkins
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm actually really enjoying these Zombie runs. Focusing on 'staying safe out there' and running for the heck of it rather than stressing over being able to complete whatever the intervals are for the day has taken a lot of the pressure off and I'm not actually struggling to keep running until the end of a mission even when they're a few minutes longer. The chases are exciting and for a challenge I'm trying to go a little faster when the story requires it and playing with speeds, which I hadn't done at all up to now apart from trying to force myself to speed up for the final minute of a run to simulate a strong finish for future races lolololol.
    Better still, I think the zombies may have sparked my exercise-hating pre-teen's interest. She asked to try the 5k trainer one with me, but was disappointed that there weren't actually any zombies in it. Anyone know if any turn up in the first weeks? Or do you have to link it to the other app?
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    hehe your crazy mind is similar to mine. But you can push yourself on the odd 30 min run and try for speed, or do slightly longer runs once every 2 weeks or something and still be 'pushing' yourself. But yes, definitely go with the logic and reason more to protect your legs if they are feeling niggly!

I find treadmill runs harder on my legs though - maybe I am just running weird(er) on them.

I find the same with treadmill, I far prefer road running, even with uneven Irish pavements to the treadmill, it just doesn't feel natural.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I started a couple of jogs last week, now that rowing race is done for a while so training isn't so intense, I am not going to bother with a formal program for now, I started with 5 min warm up walk, 15 min jog (no intervals this time starting yay), couple of mins cool down followed by some weights and stretching.

My plan is to go out twice a week and just gradually build up my distance, a little at a time. I did about 2.5km Saturday morning, so going to aim for about 2.75-3km this evening unless the rain is torrential
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    I started a couple of jogs last week, now that rowing race is done for a while so training isn't so intense, I am not going to bother with a formal program for now, I started with 5 min warm up walk, 15 min jog (no intervals this time starting yay), couple of mins cool down followed by some weights and stretching.

My plan is to go out twice a week and just gradually build up my distance, a little at a time. I did about 2.5km Saturday morning, so going to aim for about 2.75-3km this evening unless the rain is torrential

Well done! I must say, although my disciplined side liked the programme and I will continue with the 10k one come September, I am really enjoying my runs more now that I'm letting myself off the hook a bit and I am more inclined to get outdoors.
    I really recommend the Zombie Run app..... can't believe how addicted I am to it already lol. It's telling me I have to wait 4 days to unlock the next mission and I WANT TO DO IT NOW. Might have to try and buy membership without my husband finding out lol.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

Well done! I must say, although my disciplined side liked the programme and I will continue with the 10k one come September, I am really enjoying my runs more now that I'm letting myself off the hook a bit and I am more inclined to get outdoors.
    I really recommend the Zombie Run app..... can't believe how addicted I am to it already lol. It's telling me I have to wait 4 days to unlock the next mission and I WANT TO DO IT NOW. Might have to try and buy membership without my husband finding out lol.

I have used the zombies, run app, I liked it but prefer listening to podcasts/music now, helps me switch off
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options

I have used the zombies, run app, I liked it but prefer listening to podcasts/music now, helps me switch off
    Took me a while but I managed to work out how to make the app play my music and it turns out the zombies motivate me to run faster, would never have expected that one tbh I generally absolutely hate zombie movies/series/etc. lol
    I imagine if there were any more story-based running things to motivate me those would work too, I just have to distract my brain. On the treadmill I watch virtual treadmill walks through Italy AND listen to music!