April 2 Weekly Challenge: The Outer Ring

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups
Theme: Healthy Eating
Challenge: The Outer Ring

Grocery store design and planning is big business. Every square inch of a grocery store is planned in advance with a single goal in mind: to get shoppers to spend more time and money in the store. About half of grocery purchases are for unintended purchases. We may go in with a list, but we come out with the list items and then some.

Despite the many differences in grocery store layouts and aesthetics, there is one feature most stores have in common. The outer ring or perimeter of the supermarket is where you’ll find many of the healthiest food options. It’s where the fresh fruits and vegetables are located, as well as an array of meats, seafood, and dairy options. Many of these items need refrigeration because they’re not processed and full of preservatives. They are in their natural states.

Of course, there are exceptions. There are certainly some questionable items available from the outer ring as well as many healthy choices found in the inner aisles. Nothing is absolute. Still, shopping the outer ring is generally regarded as a good practice. So this week, let’s take a few more minutes and do an extra lap or two around the outer ring. Let’s put a few more items in our baskets this week that need no list of ingredients.

There are lots of ways to implement this challenge. I think I’m going to try a few new foods from the perimeter of my local Market Basket. Foods I’ve wondered about, like kefir, but haven’t tried yet. You could also try making a meal or two from items found only in the outer ring. Or make it a goal this week to avoid that snack and chips aisle, choosing instead a better option from the outer ring. Whatever works best for you and your family!

This week’s challenge: Let’s all peruse and choose some interesting healthy options from our supermarket’s outer ring!

Make it a great week!
............................................................................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

How to Buy Food: The Psychology of the Supermarket
https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/how-to/article/supermarket-psychology

In Grocery Stores, the Perimeters Take Center Stage
https://nyti.ms/Mn7sRc

............................................................................................................................................

Replies

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I have become move shopping savvy when I am at the grocery store. This challenge will give me the boost I need to get better at it and make it a priority every time I shop. Thanks Denise! Just what I needed.
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've heard about that method of shopping. I tend to spend a lot more time in the meat section than the fruit and veggie section. I try to stick to chicken and fish, but steak and chops are so darn good. I also need to cut back on ground beef, but tacos are life! I've tried ground turkey and it's just not the same. Anywho, I'll work on my food selections this week.

I haven't done much on move-it Mondays, but today, I'm going to get my keister outta my chair more often. I'm only up to 3,247 steps and it's already 10AM! if I want to make 10,000 a day, I need to make sure I get at least 7,000 to 7,500 while I'm at work.
  • themedalist
    Options
    "tacos are life!"

Well said, @MmamabearR!

I think our grocery store shopping patterns are a well-ingrained habit. Which is why I thought this challenge might be a good one. I know I tend to buy the same things over and over again. Which gets me out of the grocery store faster, but at a cost. I want to always be receptive to trying new things and not just stuck in my ways. Trying new things can also become a good habit.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My husband is retired and I still work full time, so we keep a grocery list and my husband does the grocery shopping every Tuesday for us now. So I usually just grab whatever we have to pack my lunches and snacks for work. So, for this challenge, I think I will take my lunch today and run over to the Thyme Market and pick up some food on the perimeter for my lunches and snacks this week. This market is near my job and is mostly organic, so the veggies and fruits should be pretty healthy! Next week, I might have to be more specific on the grocery list as to what I want him to pick up! :smile:
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome challenge. I will definitely focus on the outer ring of Kroger and make some better choices this week.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    You are right @texasgardnr my local Walmart and Publix did a complete overhaul and changed everything. Funny that I found onions on the section where all the pork and bbq sauces were. Tricks and more tricks to get us to buy more junk.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    Great post @themedalist ! I never thought about how the bad foods are encroaching on the produce, meat, and dairy sections. I was wondering why the dairy case now has a big section of cold-brewed coffee (with all the sweet and high fat additions that we know and love so well). Also, there is a new freezer case with outrageously expensive "meals in a box" in the produce section. Now, I understand why.

My daughter was explaining to me the Costco strategy for when it offers particular samples - like Friday evening they offer dinner entrees (because no one shopping on Friday wants to cook dinner). I wish I could find a link to the article she must have read but couldn't. Perhaps, she figured it out from her own observations.

@MmamabearR , you are right - "Tacos are life!" Have you tried replacing the ground beef with chicken breast? I've done this and even my suspicious husband likes it.
  • MmamabearR
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @MmamabearR , you are right - "Tacos are life!" Have you tried replacing the ground beef with chicken breast?

I definitely should do that! I cannot believe I haven't yet. :D I love going to Rosa's and having their chicken fajitas, but I never think to have chicken tacos. All I gotta do is replace the flour tortilla with corn and viola! I usually have ground beef or carne asada tacos. This past weekend for Easter I made tacos with barbacoa (beef cheeks). and sometimes I make carnitas (shredded pork and pan fried to make it crispy). but not chicken. I'm missing out! I think tonight for supper I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes :)
  • MmamabearR
    Options
    @77tes I had a delicious supper!! It was so, so good. I chopped up some chicken breasts, cutting against the grain so it would be easy to chew. I seasoned it with a little garlic salt, some lemon, butter, herb seasoning, and some Red New Mexico Chile powder (only the best ;) ). It was soooo delicious! topped of course with lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, sliced avocado, and homemade salsa. I definitely have a new love and I get to eat more tacos!!! Thank you, again, for the recommendation.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    @MmamabearR , your descriptions of your tacos are killing me!!! Glad you liked the chicken. I'll have to try cutting the chicken breasts across the grain. I usually simmer them and then shred them.
  • MmamabearR
    Options
    I had thought about that @77tes, but I was low on time, so I thought cutting the breasts small and cooking them in my dutch oven would be faster. In the end, i think it took the same amount of time as the simmer and shred, but it was still good.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Great post @themedalist ! I never thought about how the bad foods are encroaching on the produce, meat, and dairy sections. I was wondering why the dairy case now has a big section of cold-brewed coffee (with all the sweet and high fat additions that we know and love so well). Also, there is a new freezer case with outrageously expensive "meals in a box" in the produce section. Now, I understand why.

@77tes, so very true what you wrote. I took a purpose spin around the outer ring of the nearby national chain store this morning. No wonder I have been just buying what I need and don't spend much time looking for anything new or not on my list. Yes, more unhealthy (to me) choices are taking up residence in the perimeter.
    But to their credit I have taken to buying the regular mushrooms at this store because they are locally grown and the quality is more consistent. I did pick up a bag of mini sweet multi colored peppers. These had fallen off my produce radar for a good while. They were actually very fresh looking so I purchased. Also occasionally, this branch store has been introducing unique items at times in the produce area, when in season. So I do keep an eye out for that routinely.

Later this week, or early next week I will take a different purposeful walk around the outer ring, this time in my favorite grocery store (located primarily in my state). They purchase as much as possible locally, as well as in Texas. And offer national brands, of course.

:flowerforyou:
  • themedalist
    Options

@77tes, so very true what you wrote. I took a purpose spin around the outer ring of the nearby national chain store this morning. No wonder I have been just buying what I need and don't spend much time looking for anything new or not on my list. Yes, more unhealthy (to me) choices are taking up residence in the perimeter.
    But to their credit I have taken to buying the regular mushrooms at this store because they are locally grown and the quality is more consistent. I did pick up a bag of mini sweet multi colored peppers. These had fallen off my produce radar for a good while. They were actually very fresh looking so I purchased. Also occasionally, this branch store has been introducing unique items at times in the produce area, when in season. So I do keep an eye out for that routinely.

Later this week, or early next week I will take a different purposeful walk around the outer ring, this time in my favorite grocery store (located primarily in my state). They purchase as much as possible locally, as well as in Texas. And offer national brands, of course.

:flowerforyou:

The encroachment of the outer ring made me pause a bit and wonder if this would be a good challenge. I think “shop the perimeter” was promoted more a few years ago before the influx of clearly unhealthy items.

Very few things in life are black and white and despite the encroachment, I think this is still a good guideline. It’s a good practice to eat minimally processed foods and in their natural state. I like Kind bars a lot, but I can’t pick them off a tree.